Are you brand loyal?

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
Are you brand loyal? And if so, which brands, and why?

I know there are "Panasonic" people, and "Sony" people. "Sennheiser" and "Rode" people etc. Then there are those that do research and buy what they think is best for them at that time, and are not brand loyal. Others shop by price.

Which are you? Or are you a hybrid?

Discuss!

It all depends upon the product.

For my DAW software I don't really have much choice; if I want to stay compatible with other audio post facilities I have to use Avid Pro Tools. For MIDI and other musical applications I gravitate towards Digital Performer and then transfer over to Pro Tools for mixing.

When it comes to mics I tend to gravitate towards the big names (Senneheiser, AKG, Neumann, etc.), but don't have loyalty to a specific brand. I'm looking for a quality build/durability and long-term resale value in addition to the ability to capture the sound that desire. For many music applications the "color" and "warmth" (tonal quality) of the mic tend to be characteristics of specific mics. I have many different brands in my mic collection. Things like mic pre-amps tend to go in and out of fashion, and I in this case look for what will get the job done in my price range. I listen to what my peers are saying and using much, much more than what "fashion" dictates.

I am brand loyal. When I find a brand I like I stay with them. Not that I won't "stray".

Ever since JVC introduced their digital camera (the DV500) I've stayed with them. So I am "JVC" people.

Last edited:
Both. I first started using Final Draft around 1991-92 on my RIPPING FAST 486DX25. There may be better products out there, but Final Draft is like me... older, slower, maybe not quite as versatile, but still gets the job done (and without the groans and cracks). But you can't ignore the advances in cameras, lenses, lighting, sound, SFX, or anything that requires a batter or a plug. I still love the smell of Eastman film stock ( I used 5254 in my Yashica's), but I couldn't PROVE that the finished product was any better (or worse) than what you can get from today's digital. So I will defer to those of you younger and INFINITELY smarter than I, while I regale my grandkids with those "back in MY day..." tales. BTW, since my Air Force days in the 70's, my only "dress" sneakers have been Adidas Superstar (white with 3 blue or black stripes).

BTW, since my Air Force days in the 70's, my only "dress" sneakers have been Adidas Superstar (white with 3 blue or black stripes).

Current mood :D

IMG_20190727_200323_20190727220906441.jpg

Last edited:
I've become an inadvertent Apple evangelist (iPhone and MacBook) but other than that I'm quite flexible. I own gear from Canon, Rode, Shure, Zoom...etc. Rode is probably the brand I have the most of, in terms of different pieces.

I also always wear a West Ham baseball cap, but that's more sporting partisanship than brand loyalty!

Yep, I'm brand-loyal. I'm a Canon person. Their cameras are super-affordable and since I've been using them a while I know how to get the best out of them. Switching brands would require learning a new way of doing things and I ain't got time for that. If I were a cinematographer I suppose I'd invest the time in learning different cameras but I'm more of a screenwriter so I focus my time on that.

For editing, I'm 100% Adobe.

Last edited:
I go by what the camera footage looks like. It turned out last time I bought one, that was Canon. I probaboy would not buy another brand before comparing it's look to a similar offering with Canon. Unless a feature is a must have, I would probably take the camera's natural treatment of the image over any feature.

not really - for instance with cameras I started with Pentax moved to Nikon and now use Canon... all just purely as a result of what I could afford and get a hold of

Best tool for the job, whatever that may be.

There are times to stick with one brand just to streamline your system without compatibility issues, but that really only applies to things like building wireless systems in a sound bag, or a matching lens set.

Last edited:
I've become an inadvertent Apple evangelist (iPhone and MacBook) but other than that I'm quite flexible. I own gear from Canon, Rode, Shure, Zoom...etc. Rode is probably the brand I have the most of, in terms of different pieces.

I also always wear a West Ham baseball cap, but that's more sporting partisanship than brand loyalty!
WEST HAM!!! +1

Being a documentary filmmaker,
I gravitate toward utilitarian qualities. So with cameras, either Sony FS7 for its 4K, XLR audio, and built in ND, or, if I have the budget and personnel, Arri Mini for its simplicity and delicious interface and post work flow. Lens wise, I’ve been fairly partial to the Sigma Cine line for how robust, cheap, and fast they are of Cooke for their warmth and CLASS. I have my qualms with each, but life isn’t perfect so I adapt as needed.

To a degree, yes. Since becoming a professional, corporate film maker, I prefer Canons. Happy to use Sony and have shot with FS7s etc... and I like the FS7. Sennheiser was a 'must have' around corporate customers and Sound Devices for mixers. I buy Zooms as well and have a couple but it's a price thing.

I'm also 'brand averse.' I went on three shoots with BlackMagics, back-to-back that had problems so tend to avoid. Sure, they're good cameras but I need Canon toughness which is at a completely different level (I'm not talking DSLRs, I mean C500s etc...)

I'm shooting all the time so want robust stuff that works and creates beautiful images I can fall in love with.

Panasonic all the way... I come from the old Super8 background... I only used Canon Super8s back in the day... I tried a lot of Super8 cameras but that Canon 1014 XLS just won me over with its visuals and movement. I think subconsciously, I was always looking for THAT in video and when I got my first DVX 100? It totally reminded me of Super8.

And computers? I tried them all... Now I only use Dell. They have just been the old workhorse that never broke down.

Back