Anyone ever use a fog/smoke machine on a shoot?

Im doing a shoot in a graveyard and I think it would be cool if there was fog in the background. Can I just buy any fog/smoke machine or is it worth it to buy a professional one? Like I see this one on craigslist for $500, and the guy says it was worth $2000. There also cheap fog machines for like $50 at party stores

We tried to use one of the cheap ones on a shoot to give it some atmosphere - didn't work too well. The problem is that fog machines produce a vapor that dissipates pretty quickly. You can fill a small space with one but you have to keep it going or the density of the fog will drop noticeably from shot to shot. In a larger space, or outdoors, it'll dissipate before you can yell "action" unless it's an industrial size fogger.

If you want something that'll hang around longer you need a 'hazer', which tend to be more expensive and harder to find.

The cheap party machine might work if you just want something like fog pouring through a doorway, out of a crypt or something similar. Another problem though is that they have pumps that can make a lot of noise - especially the cheap ones - so if you end up needing to keep it running during the shot it's probably going to be picked up on the audio.

I'd say look into rentals rather than buying - in the LA area you should have plenty of choices to rent, not just production rentals but party/DJ supply places as well. You can probably get an industrial size fogger or a hazer for a lot cheaper than buying one that will do what you need.

I've fog-wrangled before and the key, as ItDonnedOnMe notes, is to keep topping the density up.

If you're using a cheap fog machine, I'd recommend keeping the shots relative short so that you don't lose too much fog within each shot. That'll make it much easier to control the fog levels. Obviously, if you're doing this outside then it's going to be tough to keep the fog in one place - try and avoid doing it when it's too windy, look for a sheltered place and possibly bring some sort of wind break.

Most graveyard fog typically calls for use of a chiller along with the fog machine so the fog hugs the ground. They're fairly easy to DIY, but you can rent/buy them too.

For on-set fog I've had decent luck with a propane fired bug fogger, and regular theatrical fog juice. Important to note, you don't want to use a bug fogger that's every actually been used for bug fogging... get a new one, and only use it for the theatrical fog.

It is a potential fire hazard, if not operated properly since it does involve burning propane to heat the fog juice so that it can atomize properly, so keep that in mind -- and it's best suited to outdoors. But the nice thing is it won't require electricity for use. ;)

I use them often. The smaller (inexpensive) ones do not have a strong
enough output or fog temperature to be effective outside. That's why
for me these are rental items. Since you are in Los Angeles you can
rent a pro fogger for less than you can buy anything but a “party” fogger.
Even a two large fogger for $500 may not be a good investment unless
you will be using it more than three times a year.

For example you can rent the LeMaitre Low Smoke (very nice for outside)
for $200/day. Make a weekend deal for $300 and you're getting a great
fogger for less than one that you will struggle with on set. A nice Lawn
Fogger can be rented for less than $150 for a weekend – very usable
for background fog in a graveyard scene.

You can find a older diesel engine truck and mess with the fuel settings and smoke up things pretty good. Or better yet, find one with a hole in the piston and I guarantee you'll have a throughly fogged set. :)

What if i just want to fog up a room and get some nice sunlight coming in through the windows.

the_score.png

Is a cheap fog machine good enough for that sort of atmosphere ?

We used a fog machine on Lorenzo Lamas back in January, both indoors dark backlight and outside in daylight. I have not seen the footage yet but everyone else seemed to be satisfied. It definitely was not a big ass expensive one. Probably have to test it out to see if it fits what you are looking for.

Yes they work great. I use a cheap $30 one from Iparty. To keep the fog closer to the ground just have it pass through a styrofoam cooler with dry ice in it. The ice will cool the fog enough so it sticks low to the ground. Just be prepared and organized on set, as turning the fog on will be the last thing you do before calling action.

from my experience only use fog if you want to enhance light a bit.. otherwise unless outside dont try to use it as an aesthetic like i did and ruin the shot.. was way too thick and didnt look too good.

I'll just say out of experience that I've used a cheap fog machine from Spencer's. Worked okay the first time but they easily get clogged and stop working. By the 2nd time it was pretty much a waste of time and money.

FilmTools.com sells haze and fog spray cans that can be an interesting alternative, though maybe not enough for something like a graveyard scene.

What if i just want to fog up a room and get some nice sunlight coming in through the windows.

Is a cheap fog machine good enough for that sort of atmosphere ?
Yes. The challenge will be keeping the "fog" thin and floating. Cheap
fog machines tend to put out what looks like "fog". What you see in that
shot is haze; a lighter mist that hangs in the air.

I'm probably a bit late, but I did use a cheap party fogger for a shoot...

Few things

1. Its very noisy so, turn it on press the button once ready and then WAIT.

2. When the fog first comes out its too thick... So again, wait til it looks like you want it and then call rolling.

3. Continuity, make sure someone is on top of that. I messed up, forgot to use it in a few scenes, and well... luckily its a comedy.

4. I used it outside, with an extension cord ect. but inside, it may not be optimal as it fills up the room extremely fast, and being that it is cheap it is hard to control the amount you get.

That said, I'm glad I used it, it added a great mood to the scene.

Some shots from my short.

IMAGE 1
IMAGE 2

Last edited:
Yes they work great. I use a cheap $30 one from Iparty. To keep the fog closer to the ground just have it pass through a styrofoam cooler with dry ice in it. The ice will cool the fog enough so it sticks low to the ground. Just be prepared and organized on set, as turning the fog on will be the last thing you do before calling action.

How does that work? Sounds interesting.

have you thought of just grabbing a fire extinguisher? Spraying it around. You won't have much time though.

How does that work? Sounds interesting.

have you thought of just grabbing a fire extinguisher? Spraying it around. You won't have much time though.

extinguishers are expensive, not reusable and on tosh.0 where a girl sprayed one at a sorority to "make it snow" they all had to sleep downstairs that night so I think there might be some health implications or something too.

A google search reveals this "A case study in the European Journal of Trauma reviewed the outcome of a patient who inhaled dry chemical extinguisher spray into his or her lungs during a car accident and resulting fire. It explains that the extinguishing powder in this case was preventing the lungs from exchanging oxygen, resulting in hypoxia. Extended, severe hypoxia causes the body to build up with lactic acid, resulting in cardiac arrest. Another possible cause of death from dry powder extinguishers is theorized to be acute respiratory distress syndrome, where the powder causes the lungs to build up with fluid."

in other words you just gave advice that could get someone killed.

There are three types of fire extinguishers. I suspect writersandfilmmakers is talking
about CO2 extinguishers not the dry chemical type. I know from experience they
make poor fog machines. The CO2 dissipates almost instantly, usually before the
person can exit the frame. They can be refilled but they are quite expensive.

Back