• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Amazing Color Correction and Grading Test

A lot of ppl shoot superflat now and the main debate seems to be between shooting superflat and shooting neutral with 0 contrast. the idea behind both of them is to get the image to be kind of raw. ofcourse its not shooting true raw.

This method has its place just as every other. But it does not mean its the only way to shoot with a dslr. i say this bc a lot of ppl seem to have that idea.

So finally getting to ur answer, you can fiddle with your settings in camera till the image is flat enough for ur liking. or u can download a profile online and use it in ur camera.

Uhh, there's a lot of stuff I get, but cinematography (at least with this kind of stuff) ain't one of 'em, and I've admitted this. How do you fiddle with the camera settings to make it flat?

Np, CF.

Heres a popular one by LaForet:

"Starting with the “Neutral” setting, I make the following modifications:

Sharpness all the way down
Contrast all the way down
Saturation two notches down"

Wait, what? I read my manual over and over again (the video section, anyway). I don't recall anything about adjusting sharpness, contrast, etc.

Wait a minute -- I just assumed this was video. On second viewing, I feel hoodwinked, bamboozled. Those are still images!

That's not cinematography. That's photography. Beautiful, but totally not what I originally thought it was. I call shenanigans.

Wait, what? I read my manual over and over again (the video section, anyway). I don't recall anything about adjusting sharpness, contrast, etc.

Wait a minute -- I just assumed this was video. On second viewing, I feel hoodwinked, bamboozled. Those are still images!

That's not cinematography. That's photography. Beautiful, but totally not what I originally thought it was. I call shenanigans.

It's cinematography, Cracker.

Don't you see the leaf falling each time? Heh.

Maybe it's bluescreen? And they filmed the leaf falling. Then put up a photograph behind it?

Well, my T2i doesn't do any of the things Ernest says needs to be done to accomplish this (unless I missed a really big section). Maybe this is one of the ways that the 7D or 5D is better? I suspect not, only because I think I would've heard this as a reason to get one of the more expensive models, if such were the case.

The leaf looks animated to me, but I'm no expert on that. Looks like still photography.

Here's a thought -- DSLR's have "continuous" shooting. I never cared to look into this, so I don't remember, but I think the T2i will shoot 15 full RAW pictures per second, in still photography mode. If it's in still-photography mode, I guess that would give the user the ability to control contrast and saturation, etc.? Plus, the really-low frame-rate would explain the jumpy nature of the leaf falling.

Except, that would only explain the leaf falling. How could we explain the absolute non-motion of anything else in the picture? It's been seriously doctored, in some way or another.

It's video, guys - you can see the mist moving in the second example. Why would he cheat when he's got other videos with the same kind of colour correction?

Cracker: go into the menu and I think it's the fourth tab from the left - you can choose a picture style (and edit it) at the bottom.

It's video, guys - you can see the mist moving in the second example. Why would he cheat when he's got other videos with the same kind of colour correction?

Cracker: go into the menu and I think it's the fourth tab from the left - you can choose a picture style (and edit it) at the bottom.

Why was this not mentioned in the video section of the manual? I'm going to write someone a sternly-worded letter.

write that letter CF, but I have to say, Im not impressed.

I bet you don't even bring the camera flowers anymore!!..
you just expect it to have dinner waiting next to the tv remote and a cold beer.

If you cared at all, you would know these things about your camera.

If you don't watch out, that camera is going to leave you and find someone who can TRULY appreciate it.

Back