Alright guys...New to Film making and would greatly appreciate your help and advice

Hey guys

I'm completely and utterly new to film making. I've been meaning to start shooting some stuff for years now, but as is the implications of having a great affinity for procrastination...I have never managed to get 'round to it until recently :D

I've always been into Screenwriting but what I really want to learn about is the fundamentals of making films. I want to be able to translate my work into real tangible film.

Effectively what I am asking you kind people for is any advice or tips for a complete green beginner. I want suggestions of any reading material you feel is practical and important in understanding how cameras and conditions work. I really want to learn and study this stuff.

However, recently I have been shooting stuff with my Dad's old Canon MV750i (old videocam) and it's quite clearly a bad cam. Is it a good idea to invest a lot of money in a cam as soon as you start or do you advise buying cheaper in the beginning?

Thanks for any help you can give. It's greatly appreciated.

Bill

Welcome!

Shoot on whatever you've got. There are some good value alternatives but really theres no point dropping a grand on equipment if you're not 100% sure how to use it.

But you're in London one of the biggest film industry centers in the world, so getting involved in filming isn't too hard and can be a lot of fun!

Always remember...

Sound is half of the experience.

'sup new guy! :cool:

If an old crappy camera is all you have, then that's the best camera you've got! Use it, and learn.

Maybe you have some friends with better gear? They might let you borrow their camera, or even want to be included on your production! Filmmaking is all about teamwork & collaboration, after all.

Welcome!

Shoot on whatever you've got. There are some good value alternatives but really theres no point dropping a grand on equipment if you're not 100% sure how to use it.

But you're in London one of the biggest film industry centers in the world, so getting involved in filming isn't too hard and can be a lot of fun!

Thanks for the welcome.

And I dont mind using this camera getting to grips with filming. It's just very limiting in the sense that I cant really work with actors and such when my equipment is so poor.

And you're right, London does have great opportunities. I dont study a film related course though (which would be great in terms of networking).

'sup new guy! :cool:

If an old crappy camera is all you have, then that's the best camera you've got! Use it, and learn.

Maybe you have some friends with better gear? They might let you borrow their camera, or even want to be included on your production! Filmmaking is all about teamwork & collaboration, after all.

I dont mind buying new equipment. I just have no idea regarding what quality is required.

I dont really know many other film makers. I have a few people I can use for actors and such which is a good thing.

Welcome to our corner of the universe.

I've learned on these boards and through experience, film can be made on anything: 16 mm, 8mm, VHS CamCorder, Iphones, Consumer Camcorder (I use a Canon 900), all the way up to cameras that have two letters and a number designation-not to mention DSLR cameras that seem to serve dual "picture taking" and fliming capabilites

It's what you with said camera. I've always been of the belief, whatever you have now, shoot, edit (don't forget your sound!), shoot some more, edit it some more, lather rinse repeat-get a FEEL for what it is to actually film and edit and all the other fun stuff-I've seen fantastic stuff shot on Iphones, and I've seen horrid stuff shot on top of the line Pro models that get into the thousands of dollars.

and oh yes, one thing, pretty pretty please:

invest in a TRIPOD! Please! I BEG YOU! ;) One of the biggest most obvious omissions I've found (aside from Sound, but Alcove has that covered) is simple use of a tripod. :)

However, recently I have been shooting stuff with my Dad's old Canon MV750i (old videocam) and it's quite clearly a bad cam. Is it a good idea to invest a lot of money in a cam as soon as you start or do you advise buying cheaper in the beginning?
No.

Use the camera you have. Invest in a good mic and a few lights. You can
make up for that old camera with some good audio, good lighting and a
good script.

Gather a small cast and crew and make three of four shout films. When
people see you're actually DOING something, more will get interested
in helping. Who knows? You may even find someone with a better camera.

You should make a movie in July.

"When people see you're actually DOING something, more will get interested in helping. "

1000% percent agreement.

I'm not spending more on my movies, I'm spending less and getting a higher level of talent around me. So many people TALK about making a movie, plan on making a movie, TRY to make a movie, and fail miserabley (because they don't seem to realize It's REALLY freaking hard). If you build a reputation as someone who follows through, completes their projects, cares about the quality of the work, it will be noticed. At least in the world of micro budget indie, if you build it, they will come.

First and foremost, watch good movies, with a technical eye. Why did he go to closeup there? Why is the camera moving that way? Why did they put music here, should they have?

Then make movies, don't makes excuses, don't spin your wheels bogged down in things that don't matter, just start making movies. They will get bettter every time (at least for a while).

Great advice, Gonzo! In order for people to want to be part of something they need to see an example to imagine themselves in that environment, place, or collaboration.

I'm probably gonna get in trouble for saying this...

Ditch the camera, get a DSLR. They're so cheap, and right now you're new... you're already behind the curve, why start even further back? You're going to run into the issues that I did when I got my HVX200 and fought for the minor things that helped something look cinematic.

If you have 500.00 to get a GH-2 or a T3i with a Kit Lens, that's enough to start learning how cinematography in the modern age works. You star the game crippled, it's going to take you a while to catch up to others.

The rest is as said already, just start making shorts or getting on someone else's shoots if you can. I know not everyone lives in an area where the latter is possible, but if you do, then do that instead of doing your own thing.

In my research, I found that most of the people that excelled in this industry either had a lot of money to pay good people to work for them, or worked for other people extensively before they did anything on their own.

You learn so much by working for others that'll take you longer to learn doing your own thing on your own time and dime.

It's similar to watching movies, but instead you get to watch them get made on someone else's shoulders, learn from those mistakes from a safe place, etc.

Lastly... have fun... if you stop having fun then you're a gonner.

I'm probably gonna get in trouble for saying this...

Ditch the camera, get a DSLR. They're so cheap, and right now you're new... you're already behind the curve, why start even further back?
So you feel making three movies over the summer with that
Canon MV750 will be worse than waiting until he can afford
a DSLR?

In my research, I found that most of the people that excelled in this industry either had a lot of money to pay good people to work for them, or worked for other people extensively before they did anything on their own.
Time to do a little more research. But I now understand your first
point a little better. When you do some more research you will find
that most of the people who have excelled in this industry have all
started with no money and very little equipment and almost no other
people helping them.

I agree with you that you will learn a lot by working for others, but
that isn't always a viable option. Until it is I think making movies with
what you have is far better than waiting until you have a "better"
camera.

I do not believe a director starts the game crippled by not using a DSLR.
Good movies come from good scripts, good actors, good sound, good
lighting and good editing. I believe a beginning director can learn and
get better at all those things with a Canon MV750.

a DSLR?

While I agree that making a film with the MV750 would be better than waiting and not doing anything, the original post makes it seem like he has at least some money to invest. I feel he could learn a lot more by at least getting a camera with manual settings, whether it's a DSLR or not. Either way, the best way to learn is to get out there and start shooting, no matter what equipment he has.

I actually did take that approach. I knew what I wanted, but knew next to nothing about how to get it on film, however, I had some dispoable money. I hired an experienced DP, and experienced sound guy, an experienced editor, and learned on the job, quickly. Several of those people still always work on my films, for less than I paid them that first time out or even free.

However, this not one size fits all, lots of different routes to the same place.

Last edited:
When you do some more research you will find
people helping them.

The previous poster scared me a little when he said most people who don't work in the industry fail.

In my eyes filmmaking is quite daunting, perhaps it's my own insecurities when it comes to my 'art' but to think that I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have the luxury of working with someone who actually knows what they're doing is well...very disheartening.

So I guess my point is, thanks for the positive outlook and optimism :)

Here comes all of the contradictory advice. :D

You should use the camera you have and get a basic sound kit. Your projects only look as good as they sound...

My reasoning would be that once you do decide to upgrade - especially if it's a DSLR - you are still going to have to purchase an audio kit of some sort. So get used to recording the production sound separately and syncing the audio in post. Now you already have the basic audio skills and don't have to learn them while struggling with a new camera, plus the fact that you're not paying for a camera and an audio kit at the same time. Audio gear retains much more of its value over the years, and remains compatible with different cameras over the years.

In the end you will have to make up your own mind as to what to do. Everyone always wants to have the latest greatest toys, but ultimately the your skill as a storyteller rules, not the gear.

"Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and they all stink."

a DSLR?

He said he could afford one now. And, let's not forget that it's not free to make a movie on a DV camera. You still have to purchase DV tapes, still have to store the footage somewhere, and worst of all you still need to capture the footage to a hard drive, and DV isn't 1:1 is it?

It's been ages, I can't even remember.

It's old technology... that's like telling someone to keep their old typewriter just because they have one, instead of getting a cheap laptop to write on.
Time to do a little more research. But I now understand your first
point a little better. When you do some more research you will find
people helping them.

WE're not talking about the same people. I'm referring to those who are making a living doing this, not the scant few who gain notoriety for their work. There are more people actually making a living creating content who worked IN the system than those who are well known.

They aren't the same people to me.

I agree with you that you will learn a lot by working for others, but
that isn't always a viable option. Until it is I think making movies with
what you have is far better than waiting until you have a "better"
camera.

Those are two separate conversations. The camera has nothing to do with working for others. It has to do with learning the craft that is currently in place. Again, he has a choice to purchase a new camera... there's not much that he's going to learn as far as what pertains to the operations of a camera (composition, mostly) that you can translate to a large sensor camera.

A fixed lens optical system does not behave the same way, and someone who's not experienced with film production will need to learn that. Why start behind the curve if you don't have to?????? We're not in the nineties anymore.
I do not believe a director starts the game crippled by not using a DSLR.
Good movies come from good scripts, good actors, good sound, good
lighting and good editing. I believe a beginning director can learn and
get better at all those things with a Canon MV750.

Okay, that's fine if you believe that. I don't believe in starting behind the curve, though.

The previous poster scared me a little when he said most people who don't work in the industry fail.

You took my words out of context. I said that MOST PEOPLE WHO EXCEL have done their time under other people and used that to move forward into a place where they can live off of it. That's just a reality of this industry, coming from someone who's starving just to make it, and I am in one of the major hubs.

You took my words out of context. I said that MOST PEOPLE WHO EXCEL have done their time under other people and used that to move forward into a place where they can live off of it. That's just a reality of this industry, coming from someone who's starving just to make it, and I am in one of the major hubs.

Yeah I suppose I did flip your words around a little, I apologize for that.

Is there much happening in terms of filmmaking in Chicago?

Yeah I suppose I did flip your words around a little, I apologize for that.

Is there much happening in terms of filmmaking in Chicago?

There's a ton of filmmaking going on in Chicago. One of my friends just booked an acting role there.

A lot of my friends here in Los Angeles are from Chicago as well, and they want to go back to start building the community there.

Hell, there's a decent little filmmaking community in South Carolina... and, if I were smarter before I moved to Los Angeles I would've started at this in Georgia, where everything was cheaper if not free.

Back