Alcove Audio Has Returned - sort of...

Greetings IndieTalkers!

Yes, it has been a while. Lots of news none of it good.

First...

I was insulted, infuriated, humiliated and outraged that anyone would think that I needed help.

I am humbled, honored and privileged to have such caring, warm friends out there. Truly, I am touched to my core.

Yeah, I know, a very confused state of mind. It's been a tough couple of years. We got locked down, my mom passed away in July of 2020, my mother-in-law passed away last January, my sister-in-law passed in May, I got flooded in September. My wife and I are getting a divorce; the house is on the market, and we've already had a few offers.

The biggest kick in the cajones is that I have suddenly developed serious hearing issues. Everything below about 400Hz sounds like it's going through a ring modulator or something like that. I have been told by three separate doctors that this is highly unusual; it's usually the upper frequencies that get distorted first. More testing to come...

Well, there goes my idea of going back to doing field sound - collecting sound effects, production sound, interview set-ups, etc.; I'd have enough money to put together a kit of competitive quality. Do a few freebees and cheapies to get my feet wet again. DAMN!!! The best laid plans...

Of course, all these recent events have caused my biggest nemesis to emerge with full force - neurochemical brain disease. Sounds really scary, doesn't it? Most of you probably know it as chronic clinical depression. About thirty years ago, after a long progression of different medications with bad side effects, we found something that somewhat worked for me. I got my equilibrium, then weaned off to just diet and exercise. My problem with most prescribed medications and even quite a few OTC meds is I get the side effects, or the meds do the reverse of what they are supposed to do. Doing my workouts, decent eating and other "rituals" keeps the depression at bay most of the time, but the last twenty months have been an emotional dog-pile.

I'm still trying to find some reliable wheels that I can afford. Used cars were already expensive due to supply chain issues, but used car prices went up about 24% in September, and another 27% in October. Add on another 10% locally because of all the flooded vehicles. By the time I managed to put together some cash, cars that were once in my reach are now too pricey. I don't want a junk-mobile, but it looks like I'll have to settle and pay too much for one. I'm also trying to figure out where I want to live. I have no idea why, but I'm thinking perhaps the Austin, TX area.

Anyway, that's why Uncle Bob has been incommunicado. I'll be popping in with greetings to newbs and kibitzing on occasion, but life is rather busy right now while I try to reinvent myself once again.

Thank you again for all your support and good wishes, they mean a lot!

Peace,

Uncle Bob

Haven't heard from you in a while, are things getting any better? Have the doctors been able to help with your hearing issue? Did you get any help repairing the water damage?

Learn to dance in the rain, my friend. I know it sucks, but what else can you do? I agree, moving might be just the ticket. I know I've always done better after relocating.

About the hearing problem, I too am hearing impaired. It came out of nowhere and became pretty bad within 2 years so now I wear hearing aids.. My audiologist told me there are concert musicians who are hearing impaired and wear hearing aids. That blew my mind because a musician has to be able to tune their instrument properly. To me, that suggests that good hearing aids can do wonders. Of course they are out of this world expensive but they are out there.

Hang in there.

Back