software-related AI Video has arrived - It looks incredible

sfoster

Staff Member
Click this link to watch some of the videos

Really incredible stuff from OpenAI
There was also a wired article, but the article was so terribly formatted with ads I'm not posting it

Instead here are the different videos from the wired article with a direct link.

With this technology you could create infinite, unlimited choices in an interactive video story, have it go wherever you want and do anything by creating everything on the fly. Something like savepoint could be automated with ChatGPT and Sora relatively simply.

With this technology, the entire field of animation can now see the end of the road... their industry will collapse in a few years.

With this technology, there will be SO MANY INDIE FILMS that the market will be floodded 10x, 50x, maybe even 500x worse than it is right now.

I'm surprised the post didn't get a single comment today.

Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

Not to mention in a few years when it does stereoscopic videos.. the VR videos will be insane!!
I'd love to create some "2012" type huge natural disasters and witness them from the safety of virtual reality

Last edited:
And they're lifelike enough to compete not only with animation houses but also with live movie studios. That said, the consensus has been for over half a century that computers would take over and replace all workers, but it hasn't happened - somehow, humans are still needed to make a project function properly.

Still, I'm glad I waited so long to try and be a mogul

With this technology, there will be SO MANY INDIE FILMS that the market will be floodded 10x, 50x, maybe even 500x worse than it is right now.

I'm surprised the post didn't get a single comment today.

Well, if it's of any consolation, that post suceeded in dragging me out of an entirely different rabbit (worm?) hole in which I've been pootling about since your costume/dress-making query several months ago πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ - a corner of YouTube inhabited by so many women with unimaginably long nails and seemingly a fetish for unfettered autofocusing. πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«

On topic : yep, no doubt this latest algorithmic wondertool will simply amplify even further the amount of mediocre "content" being pumped into data centres' memory banks without really adding much to the quality of what we have already. Straight off, it's being misrepresented as (yet another :rolleyes: ) "AI" solution when all it is is a fancy text-to-image converter. And oh boy, what magnificent text we see in the samples - e.g.
The camera follows behind a white vintage SUV with a black roof rack as it speeds up a steep dirt road surrounded by pine trees on a steep mountain slope, dust kicks up from it’s tires, the sunlight shines on the SUV as it speeds along the dirt road, casting a warm glow over the scene. The dirt road curves gently into the distance, with no other cars or vehicles in sight. The trees on either side of the road are redwoods, with patches of greenery scattered throughout. The car is seen from the rear following the curve with ease, making it seem as if it is on a rugged drive through the rugged terrain. The dirt road itself is surrounded by steep hills and mountains, with a clear blue sky above with wispy clouds.

And yes, I know it's only just hatched from its silicon egg, but seriously lads: a five-pawed cat? waking up an owner with two left hands (but an impressive ability to sleep while levitating a pillow's width off to one side of the bed ... ) :lol:

I can see that there might be some value in using something like this to storyboard a movie, especially if you're working on it alone over a long period of time, but other than that, the sample output is very okay-average stock footage, the like of which is already much abused.

That's my rant for the week! Time to get back to the more practical challenge of applying non-euclidian geometry to wrinkled taffeta. :abduct:

I can see that there might be some value in using something like this to storyboard a movie, especially if you're working on it alone over a long period of time, but other than that, the sample output is very okay-average stock footage, the like of which is already much abused.

You realize it's gonna grow by huge leaps and bounds?
Take a look at what Dall-e was back in its first release and where it is now.

This isn't the end, it's the BEGINNING of the end. That cat isn't gonna have 5 paws next year

Last edited:
There will always be filmmakers who march to their own drummer. I'll do that proudly.

I've literally never heard of Dall-e until now because it doesn't interest me.
No knock on it/them/whatever. It just ain't my thing.

I write (and watch!) movies about real people that are shot with real people.
I'll defend everyone's right to watch virtual whatever.
But I won't be joining them.

It's perhaps illustrative that, even as a kid, I was disappointed when my mom took us to a movie theater and it was animated - not "real people" - my words, even then.

There will always be filmmakers who march to their own drummer. I'll do that proudly.

I've literally never heard of Dall-e until now because it doesn't interest me.
No knock on it/them/whatever. It just ain't my thing.

I write (and watch!) movies about real people that are shot with real people.
I'll defend everyone's right to watch virtual whatever.
But I won't be joining them.

It's perhaps illustrative that, even as a kid, I was disappointed when my mom took us to a movie theater and it was animated - not "real people" - my words, even then.

My concern is the people who hold the purse strings.

Why give you the money to produce a script with an entire film crew, when the investor could make a AI film that looks just as good for 100x less?
At some point in the future it'll stop making financial sense.

Last edited:
Why give you the money to produce a script with an entire film crew, when the investor could make a AI film that looks just as good for 100x less?
At some point in the future it'll stop making financial sense.

Because it WON'T look just as good.
It may look hyper-real. But that's not "just as good."

And yeah, it'll happen eventually I suppose. But I'll be dead by then :)

Because it WON'T look just as good.
It may look hyper-real. But that's not "just as good."

And yeah, it'll happen eventually I suppose. But I'll be dead by then :)

Ah, well, even if it's "nearly" as good, investors will go for it IMO
All they care about is the money and profit, if they can have a 98% good film for pennies on the dollar they will all do it, no point in spending 100x more for the extra 2% quality difference.

You're talking like your clint eastwoods age, I think you'll live long enough to be impacted by this.
It's impossible to estimate when that'll happen, but 10 years seems like a pretty long time for this tech, can't imagine it'll take longer than that to be full momentum.

God the 2030's are gonna be wild with robot housekeepers, AI films and massive crop failures from global warming

I'm not saying it won't be big. I simply don't believe it will be everything.
Any more than I believe that all music and all art work will be generated by computers.
Or all novels will be generated by computers.
And I won't have to vacuum the living room any more because my robot will do it.

There's big.
Then there's "everything."
I believe big. I don't believe everything.

But of course we'll see.

I hope youre right!

This is one of my favorites.. it's so damn COLORFUL and the dog moves so naturally
Thats the thing that makes cartoons so great IMO is all the color, it's really hard to do that in a film, you need a massive budget like wes anderson to add color like this to every one of your scenes.

This is very exciting! I'm going to have to see how this works for music videos based on lyrical input and text direction. I've actually been anticipating this for awhile. It's been close and there were some services out there, but it looks "next level" now.

This isn't the end, it's the BEGINNING of the end. That cat isn't gonna have 5 paws next year
I thought adding sound to the moving pictures was supposed to have been the beginning of the end? :scared:

This isn't a beginning or an end; it's just a step forward on an uncertain path. What is certain, though, is that this "Artificial Intelligence" - or at least the development team behind it - is not able to learn from past mistakes. The cat is symbolic: just about any toddler will draw a cat with four paws, because cats have four paws as a rule. But "AI" consistently fails on this simple metric (I had much the same discussion with Nate about SavePoint's cat quite some time ago)

... and:
This is one of my favorites.. it's so damn COLORFUL and the dog moves so naturally
... naturally, yeah ... as long as you're prepared to ignore the distortion of time and space as he moves to another dimension to avoid crashing into the extended shutters on the windows. And, incidentally, the output video is way off with respect to the text prompt:
An adorable dalmation looks through a window on a building on the ground floor.
"Adorable dalmation" is literally only part of that input text the software managed to interpret correctly. But hey! look! shiny bright colours! so it must be Really Great Technology (We're All Doomed), right? Even then, the "damn COLORFUL" palette that's impressed you is lifted right out of real life, so how about giving credit to the residents of Burano for their hard work?

I'm probably getting grumpy in my old age, but I've been around computers long enough to expect them to do what I tell them and to do it right. If I'm getting five-legged cats, mixed-race humanoids, and "ground floor" windows two storeys up, then that's a pile of crap not fit for purpose. I'll borrow a dalmation, drive to Burano and shoot the clip myself, thanks. :grumpy:

I have definite opinions about the rise of AI, but won't go into them here as they were discussed in another thread. I'm an animator, so have a vested interest in where all of this is going, but can say with certainty that I'm still just going to follow my own merry path doing my own animations. Will I ever get famous or make films that are popular - no. Does that bother me? No, because I derive so much pleasure from making my films and getting those weird ideas out of head and on to video my way. (Sorry if that triggered a Sinatra tune in your head). I have to admit that I rather like the weird, alien fantasy look to a lot of AI produced images (and in a sense I guess they really are "alien"), but I still feel they're categorically and obviously different from human-produced work. That might change (and probably will). This whole area is in such an incredible state of flux and accelerated advancement who knows what will happen tomorrow let alone a year from now, but for now I'll just sit here in my studio and wave as I happily work away...in my own flawed and inimitable human way.πŸ™‚

I thought adding sound to the moving pictures was supposed to have been the beginning of the end? :scared:

Wow you really thought that? Well IDK what to say then if your barometer is that far off, maybe don't use your own judgement.
Some people just aren't good at predicting the future. I certainly NEVER thought that about sound.

Lets see what an industry professional has to say, like the founder of dreamworks

He's referring to when "talkies" were the new and controversial technology. You missed the sarcasm.

I understood the sarcasm.

My point was that he wasn't engaging in good-faith discussion.

It's like saying OH you think the world is round? well people used to think it was flat!!
like uhh okay, who cares what they used to think?? nobody here thinks the world is flat, not even you, why are you bringing it up?

a counterpoint is the owner of a blockbuster saying 'yeah yeah tech always changes, but i'll be fine'
well guess what... blockbuster WASN'T fine. sometimes tech IS disruptive

Last edited:
What is certain, though, is that this "Artificial Intelligence" - or at least the development team behind it - is not able to learn from past mistakes.

You think this old stuff is exactly like the new stuff? like they haven't learned a damn thing? lol

That's from less than a year ago. Give it another 2-3 years...
Nate is one dude working alone. OpenAI is a multi-billion dollar company at the forefront.

Last edited:
So I had to take a minute to formulate my thoughts after this thing was announced a few days ago. I saw it within an hour of release, and kind of just stopped everything I was doing. Since this development affects Save Point in a major way, and many members and visitors have been following the project for years, I feel obligated to make a statement about what's next here.

This field is incredibly complicated on the back end, and I strongly disagree that Save Point will be simple to automate, even in future versions of this technique. But with a few million dollars, you can do it, and thousands will.

I'll get into the saturation topic in the other post. That's probably the bigger deal in terms of how it will affect most of us. This is going to crash hundreds of companies, maybe thousands, and some of them will be huge. Carolco got sunk by one film, and they produced some of the biggest studio hits of their day, including Terminator 2. This is an extinction scale event for the physical film industry as we once knew it. Everybody liked 35mm film better than digital. Everyone. But digital was 10x cheaper. No more Kodak.

Back