Advice

I will be making my first short this Saturday. Is there any advice you can give me?

Thanks!
iMarkn

Well, I'm sure there's all kinds of tips that people will chip in with... if you narrow it down a bit more. :)

Are you the director? Producer? An actor? Catering? DP? The sound guy? PA?

Maybe all of the above? It happens. :blush:

Tell us a bit more about your project. :cool:

^ He is right.

I'll start with the obvious - like "bring the cake knife to the wedding".

Advice #1. Remember to hit the REC button.

Last edited:
*Expend the time and effort to get the sound right.

1. Practice with the boom-op during blocking.

2. Listen to the PSM and Boom-op.

3. Get room tones.

4. Get dialog wilds.

5. Get Foley and sound FX wilds.

*Be very clear and concise with your direction.

*Be open to suggestions.

*Always be in control of the situation and yourself - especially when the crap hits the fan!

And most of all...

HAVE FUN!!!

Bring lots of hats...sometimes getting an actor to do something differently (read: more interesting) can be as simple as throwing a derby or a cowboy hat on him.

Well..... Im pretty much everything Im the director, producer, editor, I wrote it, actor, and im composing the music for it as well.

Well..... Im pretty much everything Im the director, producer, editor, I wrote it, actor, and im composing the music for it as well.

Man that's a lot. I would try to get an extra crew member or two if nothing else then to just watch for continuity or to be scripty. Just a thought.

On Saturday who all will be on the set?

Not their names, but what crew positions and actors do you
have? Are you shooting it AND acting? Are there other actors?
Are their any other crew members? Is someone doing sound?

There are so few general tips that cover all aspects of making
a short film that your request for advice is nearly impossible.
Since Alcove got nine I'll try for a few more:

Get plenty of coverage.

Use lighting well. Don't forget to actually light the background.

Watch the eyelines.

another that i found helps to scope out your location before you begin shooting..
sounds obvious but taking 10-15 minutes to really get acquainted with your surrounding can make the difference between a good shot and a great one. get down near the ground, stand up on a chair... always be thinking of what will make for an awesome shot

Get help, I don't know from whom, but I did that and although it was fun and I pulled it off; its a lot of work and you'll be amazed how much you'll want 1 assistant.

Back