About moving to California.

such a bad climate
Pun intended?:D
1-salt-creek-beach.jpg

Still, if I could get a work visa, I'd move to California in a heartbeat.

Those who want to move to LA to go into film, as I have been planning to do, should reconsider.

I can walk out my front door and pass by a camera rental shop, a sound stage, 39 professional actors, and a trashcan with a feature screenplay sitting in it all on my way to the grocery store. Filmmaking in LA is tough :)

Paraphrasing Will Rogers?

Nope........Union General Philip Henry Sheridan

"If Sheridan was unpopular in Texas, neither did he have much appreciation for the Lone Star State. In 1866 newspapers quoted him as saying, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell", a statement which he repeated in later years in various forms."

Dodgy camera on my phone, but whatevs...

View from pre-dawn catered breakfast on the beach:
http://instagram.com/p/jtzlgfnEbH/

A short while later, same view while hopping on transit to set:
http://instagram.com/p/jt6TjInES2/

Sun going down same day, not yet done with shoot:
http://instagram.com/p/jvMwyvnERD/

Hate me all you want. :cool:

I love it! I plan to move back to the Best Coast in 2016. I might end up in Seattle, but SoCal is DEFINITELY the leading candidate.

FilmLA is the city's regional film office, and it produces a regular report on the state of film and TV production. The latest one is not good - while web TV production is on an increase, the overall trend is down, because of ever-increasing global competition.

I think the report is right, and production will continue to decline. But, as I've also said, LA is still the place where deals are made.

That said, other experts may have different views of the numbers, so I would like to see if there are any dissenting or qualifying opinions. For example, TV production may be down, but, if web TV is on the rise, and web TV is the wave of the future, then that would be a good sign. Then again, yes, web TV is on the rise, but it's on the rise even more outside California, so, then that would not be as good as sign. And that's why I'd like to see other reports.

I am having second thoughts about relocating to LA. My other possibility would be Hawaii or another part of CA like San Diego.

move to vegas. 3 hour drive to la and it has some of the cheapest real estate in the country. plus it's vegas

FilmLA is the city's regional film office, and it produces a regular report on the state of film and TV production. The latest one is not good - while web TV production is on an increase, the overall trend is down, because of ever-increasing global competition.

I think the report is right, and production will continue to decline. But, as I've also said, LA is still the place where deals are made.

That said, other experts may have different views of the numbers, so I would like to see if there are any dissenting or qualifying opinions. For example, TV production may be down, but, if web TV is on the rise, and web TV is the wave of the future, then that would be a good sign. Then again, yes, web TV is on the rise, but it's on the rise even more outside California, so, then that would not be as good as sign. And that's why I'd like to see other reports.

I am having second thoughts about relocating to LA. My other possibility would be Hawaii or another part of CA like San Diego.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your goal is... The filming location is pretty irrelevant IMHO. You live in LA because the people are here, the resources are here, the deals are made here (just like you said). Once the film is greenlit, travel is build into the budget for the shoot wherever else in the world. If most films took place in LA movies would all look the same and they would be boring. If you move to a place because that's where you want your film to be set, that seems pretty silly to me (Exceptions being documentary filmmaking, and no budget filmmaking if you're REALLY trying to save on travel costs).

Also, just because a lot of production is leaving LA, doesn't mean they are all going to the same "other city" so no matter which other city you move to, it will still have less filming than LA.

So what exactly is your end goal in moving to a different city?

Last edited:
move to vegas. 3 hour drive to la and it has some of the cheapest real estate in the country. plus it's vegas

Having lived years in Vegas, I can attest that this is a valid option - Many people in Vegas regularly commute to California, given how short the trip is. But, I consider living in Vegas a negative, not a plus. Terrible place to live IMO...

A producer should live in Los Angeles. So much of the business is social that it's
an advantage to be local.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your goal is... The filming location is pretty irrelevant IMHO. You live in LA because the people are here, the resources are here, the deals are made here (just like you said). Once the film is greenlit, travel is build into the budget for the shoot wherever else in the world. If most films took place in LA movies would all look the same and they would be boring. If you move to a place because that's where you want your film to be set, that seems pretty silly to me (Exceptions being documentary filmmaking, and no budget filmmaking if you're REALLY trying to save on travel costs).

Also, just because a lot of production is leaving LA, doesn't mean they are all going to the same "other city" so no matter which other city you move to, it will still have less filming than LA.

So what exactly is your end goal in moving to a different city?

Thanks for your question, Moonshield. I just want to move to a different city, and, because of my interest in film, I wanted to move to LA. But, if LA is NOT going to remain the film capital of the world, and, if the deals are not going to be made there, then I would consider another place, say, Hawaii.

I have to think about this.

I couldn't think of anything worse than getting up at 5am for a 9am call, doing a 12 hr day and then not getting home until after midnight...

But to each their own, it's certainly an option if the traffics not too horrendous

Back