• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

24 instead of 23,976

Hi guys,

When I finished my little project with my Canon t2i I had to convert the .MOV format to AVI format since .MOV isnt quite editable in Sony Vegas pro 10 for me, anyways.

BUT, before I knew anything about converting I was checking out someones video, he had real outstanding youtube HD quality with the same camera, so I wanted to do the same and I followed his steps:

He used some program and I also used it to convert his video, however, he did not use 23,976 fps, but instead used 24fps! No idea why, though, I do mention he did say he hasnt much experience with DSLR cameras.

MY problem is, I converted it with the 24 fps setting aswell (though my camera records at 23,976 pfs) so I wasnt sure. Then I did my footage and rendered it to 23,976 and I notice slight choppiness at certain periods of the movie.

Is that due to the fact that I mixed up the frames? How can I fix this?

Last edited:
I think it's the same thing. Just easier saying 24 rather than 23.?????

Owen

Haha, I dont think thats it. I think theres more to it, because I just rendered the same project to another format (mp4 to upload to Youtube) and switched to 24 fps and I notice no choppiness or lag whatsoever! Odd..

Might have something to do with it..Not sure

24 and 23.98 are different.

23.98 and 23.976 are the same.

23.98 is drop frame timecode for 24 fps video. Like 29.97 is drop frame for 30 fps.

I can't remember why drop frame started, something with power issues in the US maybe? Essentially, drop frame means that every 30 seconds there's 719 frames instead of 24 fps where there's 720.

Again, can't remember why, but a google search will bring it up.

As far as exporting, keep it the same as what you shot in. If you shot in 24, export 24, etc. I'd there's a monster quality difference between the two frame rates, more than likely there's a nitrate setting or keyframe setting or something changing as well. They shouldn't look that different.

I didnt mean help out and back my comment, I meant help out and answer your question. I got no idea about that stuff. I remember reading somewhere that 24fps is really 23.????? But they just call it 24. I swear I read it here somewhere.

Owen

I can't remember why drop frame started, something with power issues in the US maybe? Essentially, drop frame means that every 30 seconds there's 719 frames instead of 24 fps where there's 720.

Again, can't remember why, but a google search will bring it up.

I i remember correctly, i think it had something to do with using video and not using actual film which did capture 24 frames every second.

I may be wrong, so yeah google would help.

Okay, I thought I knew the answer, but now you guys have confused me. Like Owen, I thought that in video, 23.976 was synonymous with 24, and we just said 24 out of laziness. I thought in video it was always actually 23.976. The reason I thought this was because of my editing program. In Premiere, if you create a new project, and you tell it that you want DSLR 24p, if you check the details, you'll see that it's actually 23.976. Back when I was shooting miniDV, I recall I used to start a project at 30FPS, and again, if you looked at the details, it was actually 29.97.

According to wikipedia, this is just NTSC standard. And there may be true 24p out there, but it's not NTSC. And who among us (in America) is shooting non-NTSC video?

You guys, thats interesting, but its not really solving the issue. Whenever I playback my video after rendering it, its great quality BUT it gets choppy at certain points in the video. Is there a way to tweak that?

You guys, thats interesting, but its not really solving the issue. Whenever I playback my video after rendering it, its great quality BUT it gets choppy at certain points in the video. Is there a way to tweak that?

You should be able to right click the footage in the bin and "interpret footage" and tell Vegas to accept the frame rate as 23.976 without rendering it every time and without the artifacts you are getting.

You should be able to right click the footage in the bin and "interpret footage" and tell Vegas to accept the frame rate as 23.976 without rendering it every time and without the artifacts you are getting.

Sorry, didnt quite understand what you meant with the last part. Also, what do you mean by artifacts? Thanks.

Sorry, didnt quite understand what you meant with the last part. Also, what do you mean by artifacts? Thanks.

In Adobe, you can "interpret footage" and make 24 frames per second material read in that project as 23.976. I don't know if Sony Vegas has something similar, but I imagine they would. By doing this, you don't have to render the footage again or do anything special to it to use it as 23.976

artifacts are another word for aberrations or mistakes in the video, as you described.

Back