Wickerman masks for music video

My buddy Tyler Kinney up in Sacramento put these together for an upcoming music video shoot that pays homage to the original film "The Wicker Man". He used plastic pre-made masks as bases then built over them with paper mache, fabric on the bird and detailed them with paint, trying to keep the look folksy and handmade.

picture.php

More pics at http://tinyurl.com/3dqyc8f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FdV-O8o7ok​

There are still some location details to iron out, but this is another project I'm looking forward to seeing realized. :bag:

Thanks folks. I hope the end result won't disappoint. This was only 50% of the video in terms of content, there's another shoot that takes place during the day in the woods (don't know when that will happen) but last night felt more like 100% in terms of pre-pro, development, schedule coordination, and execution.

picture.php

This shoot confirmed what I already knew... in terms of pulling together a bigger project, one requiring "all hands on deck", having someone step up into the role of co-producer (which was essentially what Rick the guitarist of the band did) helps spread the expectations and responsibilities around just enough so that I wasn't worrying about every detail; like getting all the masks filled with bodies and finding a place to shoot.

picture.php

My two achilles heels: scheduling the cast and locations. If those two elements were out of my hands on future projects it'd feel like winning the lottery.

Picking up the pieces today, gotta zero out the counters... wish I could jump right in and start cutting because there looks to be some really slick shots. Alas, some paid (barely) freelance work is waiting for me. Good thing considering the shambles my checking account is in! :rolleyes:

I can't wait for this. Now let's just hope that the music does the video justice. ;)

I'm a harsh critic, but the song is really good. I thought they were covering someone else's song cuz it sounded so catchy, and I thought the song used on the PA for the sync was done by the original artists. I was wrongo wongo rongo, on all counts.

Last edited:
It was a fun, hectic and rewarding shoot. I learned a lot. Next one takes place in the woods during the day and will be shot more like the original movie and introduce more "story" to the video. I finally came up with an ending shot that will take some time to create. I think it will be worth it.

Gosh. So much to do...

* and yeah, it really is a good song. A welcome departure from Mouse Grey's "The Echo In My Mind"

Last edited:
picture.php

Still from the set of today's shoot at Cottage Studios in Santa Barbara. We did fire up the torches at dusk but did not roast our lead singer, although we were hungry enough to. ;)

Great time. Thanks to Brian Luce for all the camera work and keeping me sane.

"Bring me my flags!"

Last still for now... from the HV20.

picture.php

There were definitely some things that I'd wish we had done a bit differently (always are!) for optimum results, but for a 2 man crew running cameras, managing set design, props, fire wrangling, cranes, etc. we got what we got. :)

I always forget that there are a lot of IndieTalk regulars whose opinions I value that aren't Premiere Members (for shame!) and since I could use more eyes on this 1st cut of the WICKERMAN video before I jumped in to edits and such, here's the link and password.

http://vimeo.com/29340959
password: 1stdraftw1ck3rman

Thanks to Cracker Funk and Ernest Worthing for offering their take on it in the Premiere lounge. Not sure I'll post much there anymore. It's kinda like a dark, empty bar before last call. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Haha. :lol:

YES, there will be color correcting and the flames at the end need a much better transition.

Cheers.

* disabled. I'll post the final down the road. Later.

Last edited:
Back