Why do you love filmmaking

Do photography, if you enjoy taking pictures of crowds at boring rural events

not sure what you mean by this...

He's joking, putting down photography, as if to say that filmmaking is obviously better (it is). ;)

It bugs me that you have to decide, before even entering college. There's so much you haven't experienced, yet. Prior to entering college, I had never even heard of anthropology, and although I don't practice it as a career, I wouldn't trade my BA in anthropology for anything in the world.

I guarantee there is at least one field of study that you currently know nothing about, but you might actually be really passionate about, if you could only be introduced to it. If you're forced to choose something, photog/film, before entering your freshman year, just go with your heart. But keep your mind open to other disciplines, and take a number of introductory classes in a diverse array of subjects.

When you see a really good film, does it stick with you for days? You keep thinking about it, analyzing it, re-living your favorite parts. And you want nothing more than to be able to discuss it with other people. Not just for a couple hours, after leaving the theater, but for many days?

If you answered "yes", to the above question, you're probably a filmmaker. Like any art, filmmaking is a work of passion, and passion is something that I don't think really has any grey area -- you're either passionate, or you're not, and the answer should be obvious (to you).

It bugs me that you have to decide, before even entering college. There's so much you haven't experienced, yet. Prior to entering college,

i agree 100 percent!! this one college i'm looking at (ithaca) lets you do both freshmen year then decide sophomore year. but thats the only one so far that i've seen that has that kind of program

At least in the US you don't choose your major straight away. Here in the UK we apply to university to study a certain subject so, in effect, you have to kind of make up your mind at 16.

On the other hand it's much cheaper over here, so I'll take that.

I wouldn't say that Film is better than Photography, in fact they go hand in hand. I think photography can be amazing at times, and boring as well (much like film.)

Regarding the OP. Just do whatever makes you happy. If you like both, combine your knowledge of photography with film and voila, a perfect combination. I found your video, the Cuban one via your profile, and I really loved it. Beautifully done.

I wouldn't say that Film is better than Photography, in fact they go hand in hand. I think photography can be amazing at times, and boring as well (much like film.)

Regarding the OP. Just do whatever makes you happy. If you like both, combine your knowledge of photography with film and voila, a perfect combination. I found your video, the Cuban one via your profile, and I really loved it. Beautifully done.

Thanks you so much :). Yea I think it's kind of Weird for a filmmaker to say films are better than photography.

Photos don't move. End of story, for me.

I started with photography, which taught me how to frame. And I shot black-and-white film, which gave me deep appreciation for it.

Yet film is the only medium that incorporates almost every other medium, and there's nothing more challenging than having to pay attention to so many levels of information when building a movie.

Plus, I'm a narrative addict.

If you're leaning towards photography then run with that. It's not exactly like you're studying tax law or anything. Jumping from photography to film is a small leap and photography will help you no end with the artistic side of technical jobs in film.

Exactly why I didn't choose tax law as one of the modules in my final year of law ;)

Personally, I've always loved film and from a young age watching them I knew I wanted to tell stories like that. I wrote a lot of stories as a kid (won a few awards, I'm kind of a big deal on the primary school short story scene...) but I always knew I wanted to tell my stories in a more visual way. Film never ceases to amaze me, and I can't wait to start shooting some meaningful stuff :)

Personally, I appreciate great photography but it doesn't draw me in. I admire it for a second, then I'm done. Combining that with a compelling narrative, that's when you strike gold

It's slightly different for me, given my role in the process, but what I like most about film is the collaboration. It's lots of people bringing their own creativity to a common end. I can write music until the cows come home (and then write music for the cows), but usually it's just me. My ideas, my narratives, my abstractions, etc. But working on someone's film, I'm working with them, shaping my ideas to their narratives, stressing underlying themes, learning to be creative in ways I never have before, and possibly never would have on my own. It's pretty awesome.

And like most people here, I just love movies!

I can't say that I love filmmaking as I have not yet made a real film. I do not count brief tutorials on YouTube to be films. I will say that I love the idea of filmmaking. Writing prose I have never had a story take on a life of it's own and have the characters write their own stories. Writing screenplays I have had that happen. I always thought that writers who said that a story "just wrote itself" were posturing idiots. Now, I'm one of the idiots. Idiocy can be fun. I will say that attempting to get the stars to align for the pre-production end of this first film is already wearing me down. I am determined to make this happen, so the cosmos must bend to my will and all will be fine in the end.

I love filmmaking because it combines all art styles at once, it gives me the freedom to work in music, animation, cinematography, writing, color, engineering, design, and even painting, all at once.

Also I think it is the penultimate artform in world history. No other art form is so complex, so demanding, or so rewarding. Ultimately the result is creating moments in imagination so strong, that they can be shared by the entire world.

Has anyone ever forgotten the flaming tire tracks behind the delorian? almost 30 years and I can still play back that scene in my head. What other form offers so much of such lasting value? You can put a painting in a movie, but you can't put a movie in a painting. Oh, wait a sec, maybe you can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47890116@N04/page2/

I love filmmaking because it combines all art styles at once

I agree with this.

I've been making movies since I was 15 and though I didn't start composing for them (out of necessity at the time) until I was 20, I find music to be one of my favorite parts of the filmmaking process, as is editing, making sounds, doing visual fx, writing the story, crafting a sequence and composing a shot. I'm an addict who revels in it like a pig enjoying the mud.

Back