Why do you love filmmaking

Currently unsure if its for me anymore. i'm really leaning towards photography at the moment.
Just need a reminder why i used to love it.

Last edited:
Any reason you can't do both?

I actually started loving film and filmmaking after photography. I bought a T1i a few years ago and took a couple years worth of photography classes. I really liked doing it (well, I hated film photography). Then, I kinda got the urge to do video and make movies.

Still haven't acted on that urge though.

I don't, I just want to pick up chicks. :) JK For me its a hobby/creative outlet/mostly frustration.:)
But the frustration part has nothing to do with the actual film making process.
I've just had some unexpected expenses come up that have set me back a little.

Just need a reminder why i used to love it.

Tz, I don't believe you. ;)

Anyway, film is the medium, that gives me the flexibility to recreate life in motion, better than any other art form. Expand it, embellish it, draw the truth out of it.
It's a new world, created by me, myself and my fantasy :)

I am God :lol:

1. Creative outlet
2. Form of expression
3. Opportunity to introduce ppl to new ideas and perspectives
4. Opportunity to influence people
5. Opportunity to share a feeling with someone else
6. A way to make a difference (Thin Blue Line)
7. A way to get a message out to ppl (documentaries)

I could go on but i love film making for all these things and more.

I actually just love films.

I can get some enjoyment from a beautiful photo but it only lasts a few seconds. The best photos in the world may come back to you occasionally, if they're really amazing, but almost all films stay with me for at least a while.

It's just a superior medium. No-one feels as strongly about a photo as Cracker Funk does about Avatar or, on the other hand, I do about Sucker Punch.

Do photography, if you enjoy taking pictures of crowds at boring rural events, or do filmmaking and make films! What's cooler than that?

Anyway, film is the medium, that gives me the flexibility to recreate life in motion, better than any other art form. Expand it, embellish it, draw the truth out of it.
It's a new world, created by me, myself and my fantas

Loves this.

Do photography, if you enjoy taking pictures of crowds at boring rural events

not sure what you mean by this...

Oh if its for a college major, I'd say neither as a major. Get a more "marketable" degree in something else you enjoy but can secure you financially. Get it in something you won't mind doing as a job; not something you'd hate.

I don't want to get into my rant now, but I've talked about it in other threads.

On the other hand, if film or photography are what you live for, and you couldn't stand doing anything else for the rest of your life, then go for it.

Oh if its for a college major, I'd say neither as a major. Get a more "marketable" degree in something else you enjoy but can secure you financially.

no way. i would never major in something outside of photography or film.

I absolutely love the feeling of satisfaction I get from seeing an idea in my head come to life on the screen. I mean, it feels so good seeing all the time and effort produce something out of nothing. It's a feeling of accomplishment that I rarely get from my day job.

I also love seeing the reaction of people who see the films. Nothing quite like having local filmmakers compliment me on how our films have a cinematic look that many local films fail to achieve. Personally, I think I have a lot to learn, but it feels good knowing that other recognize the effort.

My passion for photography just enhances my love of filmmaking. Photography is much more relaxing for me, but filmmaking is more fulfilling.

and nah i don't think one is better than the other. They're both great.

Film is better than photography. It's like comparing painting with sketching.

To be honest though, if you need help answering this question then maybe filmmaking isn't for you. When I came on this forum I really thought I loved filmmaking but what I've come to realise is that I like telling stories and the film is just a means to an end.

If you're leaning towards photography then run with that. It's not exactly like you're studying tax law or anything. Jumping from photography to film is a small leap and photography will help you no end with the artistic side of technical jobs in film.

Back