Why can't filmmaking be done as a serious hobby or just for fun?

Why can't people get together to work on films just because they love filmmaking or want to have fun?

People use so many other things as hobbies/fun, why not filmmaking?

I've been trying to make films this way for years and can't find other people that feel the same way. They're either just in it for the money or claim it's their passion, but don't take it serious enough.

I'm starting to wonder if it's me, the city I live in, or if this is just a common problem.

Somebody please provide some insight :)

Wait wait wait... you're in CA? There's a bunch of us here that do it because we love it. My group has been together for the past 10 years and have been doing so all for the love of it. Yes, people have come and gone but the core remains.

Then again, if you live in Redding, CA, then that might be the problem. I've only heard horror stories about that place haha.

edit:... nevermind you just changed your location to NV... yeah that's kinda hard.... it's too hot to film there xD.

I don't think the weather is that much of an issue. I think it's more the attitude of the people. They seem more business-minded than artistic-minded, and a lot are flakey. Maybe I need to visit San Diego ;)

Why can't people get together to work on films just because they love filmmaking or want to have fun?
When I was 13 to 17 I did it all the time. I did it less and less after
I started making my living making movies, but me and my friends
still did it. I still do it to this day.

I'm sorry you have never found people who get together to work on
films just because they love filmmaking. But that doesn't mean lots
of other people make films as a hobby and for fun.

I found out something interesting about making films as a hobby. I have done substantial research into making films, as Rik will attest, and I initially investigated fan films, in particular, Star Trek fan films.

Many of them start out enthusiastically, then interest wanes, and they fade away. The exception is Star Trek New Voyages, which is done in upstate NY, where the owner of the production company converted an abandoned car dealership to make it into a sound stage, and, from there, make great online episodes of the original ST series. Another potential studio are the Dark Frontier people, which I think are at this website - they started making fan films, and they've now gone into their own series.

The lesson I've learned is that, without funding, the hobbies will quickly run into the ground. And, if you ever want to do this as a hobby, without hope of profit, you'd better have a good day job, or you'll regret it in your old age. So, with this in mind, why do it as a hobby?

Filmmaking is a perfect hobby.

I'm surprised wherever you are in Nevada doesn't have a local film club.
Unless you're way out in the bushes somewhere with a population less than 100,000, then it might be a minor hassle.
Then again... if that actually is the situation, maybe fate has put you there to begin a film club.
Don't be such a joiner.
Be a leader.
God knows filmmaking is all about taking risks, anyway.

Conduct some research for film clubs in your area.
Co-ops.
Universities/colleges/community colleges/theater leagues.
Who makes commercials for your local car dealers?

Lotta people spend money on RC airplanes and model rockets.
Lotta people spend money on golf memberships and tennis lessons.
Filmmaking? Same thing.

GL!

Maybe the peolpe who say they are passionate about filmmaking are only passionate about their own projects and not about 'together projects'.

My advice: start with simple, short things.

I make films for a living, but I try to make short things for fun as well.
It takes time, energie and resources, but in the past couple of years I managed to find people who are happy to jump in when I start a new project.
Make it fun and portfolio-worthy.

I feel your pain! I started a project and ended up not finishing because we used two cameras (incompatible with each other) and the other person stubbornly would not make the effort to give me the scene shot on his, therefore I had to release a truncated version. Being a writer first, I was able to make it work, though not to my liking. I am now re-making that film, more on that later... My project after that got off track because my lead actor, after a month into production, informed me he had got himself cast in two plays at college and the director had an edict that his actors can't work on other projects during his glorious productions (and the guy was too wimpy to give me even a weekend day behind Napolean's back). It was a three month(!) pause that killed the project -- though I did land my producer for my budgeted feature and he wanted me to direct a documentary for him, so I had a net, you might say, which worked well for me (until THAT project froze, thanks to the economy, LOL/tears).

Yes, it is VERY difficult to find people as dedicated to it as they SAY they are, sometimes -- unless you're lucky and get a group of people who mean what they say. However, my solution has been this: Now that I can shoot 1080 (before we were shooting on DV tape and doing the films only for internet distribution and maybe on a DVD), I do what I call "no budget" pictures, i.e. available resources and cash donations as we go. I sign my actors up on an incentive that they will get paid a defined sum IF the movie makes money. We are presently doing a re-boot on that movie mentioned above and will market it on DVD/BluRay via website and a distributor I've established a relationship with since my budgeted feature project became real (They want it so I have an open door to them now on other projects). My actors will get payments, up to their contracted total, as the movie makes money, plus a copy of the DVD, of course. I've found this incentive keeps their attention. I also use no fault contracts so pains in the butt can be booted and replaced at will (my will, that is).

Another thing you might consider is finding that one day per week that works for everyone and keeping your schedule to that. My troupe has really liked this. They tell me the consistency helps with their focus and enthusiasm.

Anyway, this is probably more than you wanted to hear from a newbie here :)

What happened to this thread? It changed numbers (from 26097 to 260740) and several posts are missing.

Also, I couldn't log in yesterday, then today my password was reset. My email says I have two private messages but on the forum it says I have none.

:huh:

What happened to this thread? It changed numbers (from 26097 to 260740) and several posts are missing.

Also, I couldn't log in yesterday, then today my password was reset. My email says I have two private messages but on the forum it says I have none.

:huh:

See this thread for details: ATTN: Server Issue.

Sorry, some posts were lost. The server had an issue and I had to use the latest backup that did not have the error which was Monday afternoon.

Please feel free to repost. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Server crashes happen, and we do backups but the problems that led to the issue were in some of the newer backups which affected every post in the database. So we had to go to Monday.

We'll try to make sure this does not happen again.

In my experience, it's hard to find people who are willing to do film work for the sheer fun of it. Even harder to find one who wants to be anything except "director". (But then again, I'm in southern Mississippi... so pickins are slim to begin with.)

I'd say the average person starts out young and enthusiastic, passionate about making movies for the sake of it until they start thinking "this isn't going to pay the bills" and have to get a regular job.

Sorta reminds me of the guys who dream of being in a band, eventually realizing they won't "make it big", so they either face reality... or strike a balance between "regular work" and "hobby"... and just keep doing what they enjoy without the pressure of having to make a name for themselves.

I do film/video almost exclusively as a hobby. Made 5 or so music videos last year, pulling in a grand total of $250, which was billed to cover hiring a 2nd cameraman for one of the vids. So basically... I do it for free.
If I HAD to do it for a living, I probably wouldn't enjoy it. ;)

BUT I have to say: I've got a super supportive and encouraging wife, and if your family is on-board with what you do... it makes all the difference in the world.

Well, at the least the post of me dying was deleted. But, ray's hypothesis is gone forever now.

Anyway, here are a few reasons why I think it can be difficult to find people that want to do filmmaking as a serious hobby or just for fun.
  • Filmmaking is seen as more of a business than an art.
  • It's hard to justify doing something just for fun/hobby when it takes so much time, effort, and money.
  • Most people are busy working on their own projects and are not really looking to collaborate.

Right, FrankLad. I think you have to decide if you're pursuing this as a passion or business. If it's a business, then all this hobby and fun stuff is not an option. As a matter of fact, you can't even necessarily make the movies you want to make, you have to make the movies that your viewers want to watch. Because your movie is essentially a product. This is the most common option that I see people choose and one that I could never do.

If you decide you're doing this as a passion, and you have another source of income, then you're free to enjoy filmmaking without the pressure of being successful.

I have a very supportive family as well and it does help a lot. The only support I'm missing is from my community, which was the initial reason for this post.

Last edited:
I don't understand the need for distinction here. I don't currently make any money off my filmmaking, but I'm damn sure no "hobbyist". I do it for fun. And I plan to eventually make money off of it. Why should those be mutually-exclusive?

Besides, I know TONS of people who do it just for fun, just for fun. They're out there. Even in small towns. I should know -- I live in one. Have you seen FrankLad's teasers for "Hickory Never Bleeds"? He's filming it in a small town, with a cast of people who are probably doing it just for fun.

If you're having trouble finding people to work with, the problem isn't that those people don't exist. The problem is that you haven't found them yet. Keep searching. Be persistent and patient. Networking takes time. :)

Back