• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Why are scripts in the format they're in?

I'm looking at several scripts as examples for my work, and, yes, I have several scenes being fleshed out. But I'm curious as to the format. The description of the scene is done in paragraph form, like a novel, but the dialogue places the speaker and his lines at the center of the page.

So we would have something like this:

Hero and bad guy are alone in the desert. Hero takes out his pistol.

Hero (pointing pistol at bad guy)
Drop your weapon!​

Bad guy drops his sword and raises his hand.

Bad guy
I surrender.​

Why are scripts in this format? Thanks for the education. :)

Birdman - In which Parenthetical there does the writer describe the actions of the characters?

...This one:

Code:
                                     KAFFEE
                         We believe it did, sir.
                              (glancing at the paper, 
                              then motioning to 
                              the AIRMEN)
                         Defense'll be calling Airman Cecil 
                         O'Malley and Airman Anthony Perez. 
                         They were working the ground crew at 
                         Andrews at two a.m. on the seventh.

...Since "A Few Good Men" has been used as an example, I feel it's time to use the famous line:

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

and the truth is that many of the posters here have fancy avatars with "movie type" names that help to placate their own egos. I don't care how many scripts people say they read or how many films they allegedly produced, the TRUTH is that you all are just anonymous schmucks ...just like me. Every one of you is just as lost ...just as confused. If this wasn't true and you all were as successful as you feel the need to project on these discussion threads ...then you wouldn't even be here in the first place.

I am fucking SICK AND TIRED of people trying to convince other people in these threads that the Spec Script writer is a worthless slice of nothingness in the movie industry. The examples I have continuously provided in these threads paints you all as the REAL problem as to why Spec Script writers have such a difficult time.

According to the experts, we "Spec Script" writers aren't allowed to use the same tools, techniques and styles that the famous movie scripts use ...because we're scum and we jus aren't fucking allowed to!

We NO FUCKING WONDER a Spec Script writer has it so hard!

Any of you out there tuning into this post ...write your script exactly how you feel it should be written. I don't care if you ARE a newbie ...just write it ...and make sure it's the best possible script you could ever write. If anyone (like these so-called experts) bin your script or have grudges against the way you use your writing tools ...then send it off to the next guy who is smart enough to see past the discussion forum bullshit ...and actually READ YOUR STORY!

-Birdmam

Last edited:
May I ask, then, where you put the action?

...not to answer for Directorik, but he said so in his reply: in the "action paragraph".

I agree with him and I try to limit parenthetical use to only situations where the reader might end up confused without it. Does that mean it should never be used for other circumstances? No. It's just my personal style in how I choose to handle a screenplay.

If someone else's style utilizes them more as a part of their personal scrip style ...good for them.

Use Parentheticals as a crutch or a space saver ...expect an equally hobbled script as a result.

-Birdman

...not to answer for Directorik, but he said so in his reply: in the "action paragraph".

I agree with him and I try to limit parenthetical use to only situations where the reader might end up confused without it. Does that mean it should never be used for other circumstances? No. It's just my personal style in how I choose to handle a screenplay.

If someone else's style utilizes them more as a part of their personal scrip style ...good for them.

Use Parentheticals as a crutch or a space saver ...expect an equally hobbled script as a result.

-Birdman

Thanks - can you give me an example? :)

Birdman – Your answer to my question should have simply been “none of them”, right?

Anyhow, since you then chose to post another, different excerpt, let’s look at that. Yes, it includes actions, which, really, if following all the advice given here, should’ve been placed in the preceding action line, with the dialogue split in to two. But, the fact remains, that that parenthetical is only there to draw attention to the fact that the character turns their attention to the AIRMEN.

Still, you are right. Any writer can do as they see fit, I wouldn't argue against that. But there are standard ways of doing things, that people expect to see done. As with all things, you should learn the rules, and follow them, until you are confident enough, and good enough, to break them.

and the truth is that many of the posters here have fancy avatars with "movie type" names that help to placate their own egos. I don't care how many scripts people say they read or how many films they allegedly produced, the TRUTH is that you all are just anonymous schmucks ...just like me. Every one of you is just as lost ...just as confused. If this wasn't true and you all were as successful as you feel the need to project on these discussion threads ...then you wouldn't even be here in the first place.

I am fucking SICK AND TIRED of people trying to convince other people in these threads that the Spec Script writer is a worthless slice of nothingness in the movie industry. The examples I have continuously provided in these threads paints you all as the REAL problem as to why Spec Script writers have such a difficult time.

According to the experts, we "Spec Script" writers aren't allowed to use the same tools, techniques and styles that the famous movie scripts use ...because we're scum and we jus aren't fucking allowed to!

Any of you out there tuning into this post ...write your script exactly how you feel it should be written. I don't care if you ARE a newbie ...just write it ...and make sure it's the best possible script you could ever write. If anyone (like these so-called experts) bin your script or have grudges against the way you use your writing tools ...then send it off to the next guy who is smart enough to see past the discussion forum bullshit ...and actually READ YOUR STORY!

L!
M!
A!
O!

Birdman, the revolutionary!

Viva la Birdman!
Armed-Rebellion.jpeg

Aw, sh!t. Some of these are fairly nice: http://satiricalmilk.blogspot.com/2008/07/politics-of-art-viva-la-revolution.html

last_great_act_of_defiance_womens_plus_size_vnec.jpg

Oh. No, wait. Birdman is the mouse. Nah I got that all wrong. Nevermind. ;)

FWIW, I accept that I am "a worthless slice of nothingness in the movie industry."

Yeah, and exactly why I consistently promote a "write to direct & produce yourself" strategy.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=347081#post347081

Last edited:
Thanks - can you give me an example? :)

Your join date was 2011. ...You can't be serious?

Birdman – Your answer to my question should have simply been “none of them”, right?

Anyhow, since you then chose to post another, different excerpt, let’s look at that. Yes, it includes actions, which, really, if following all the advice given here, should’ve been placed in the preceding action line, with the dialogue split in to two. But, the fact remains, that that parenthetical is only there to draw attention to the fact that the character turns their attention to the AIRMEN.

Still, you are right. Any writer can do as they see fit, I wouldn't argue against that. But there are standard ways of doing things, that people expect to see done. As with all things, you should learn the rules, and follow them, until you are confident enough, and good enough, to break them.

...I'm doing all of these posts on an iPhone using my thumb. Sometimes while driving. I had all three of the quotes selected for copying but only used the two. There are plenty more parenthetical uses in that script. Holding be to just the two I previously posted would not be reflective of how the Parentheticals were used in the entire script.

And yes, I AGREE that you can break the rules on occasion if you feel confident in what you are doing. My complaint is with the so-called experts who would pull a hamstring rushing your script to the garbage can if you did!

Bottom line. ...You write a block buster script (like "A Few Good Men" and some non-anonymous, non-forumed "Professional" producer will find it and want to make it into a movie. Anyone telling you differently is a flat-out liar.

-Birdman

Let's be clear, again.

There is a difference between an unproduced writer in the 2000's
submitting a spec script and an established professional in the 1990's
writing on assignment.

Birdman, your default argument is always “Bin that script!”. Yet you
know I am a reader and I have said many times these things will not
cause a reader to toss a script. I never suggested putting action in
the paranthetical will hurt the chances of selling a script. Things have
changed and it's to the advantage of writers to understand the changes.
Rayw is wrong. Not keeping up will not cause a reader scream “nube”
or to bin the script. However, keeping up will show the reader the writer
is keeping up.

I am not against it. If it's that important to Inaruis to do it, he should
do it. The Sorkin example you use is when it becomes necessary; a
character talking to two different people. Inaruis example is one that
can be done in the action line – perhaps should. No reader will bin that
script for that reason.

As usual, Birdman, you see any advice as negative, as putting down
writers, as trying to control them. Once in a while it might help to see
the positive side of the advice given.

If we are talking about parentheses, there are some things where I'm having questions with:

Code:
				STAN
			(to the reporter’s camera)
		…and if you don’t take me seriously…

Code:
			SARAH and JULIAN (together)
		No!!!

Code:
				JACOB (mocks)
		Some family issues… Judgment…

Code:
				DIANA
		I never liked Curtis, but… 
				(sighs)
                …nobody deserves such a fate…

Code:
				THE GIRL
			(to the reporters)
		They have taken me in here. I was
		saved by a young man… He…
			(starts crying)
		He used two iron bars to… he… I saw
		him slaughtering those men… he was 
                moving so fast… and those sounds… 
                explosions… I couldn’t see his face…

What do you think about using actions in parentheses these ways?

Last edited:
First one; unnecessary.

Second one; seriously unnecessary.

Third one; maybe. It would depend on the scene.

Forth one; is that, specific, line reading essential? If the actor
chose to not sigh there but chose to suggest the emotion in
a different way would the meaning of the scene be lost? I
would say that the “sigh” is unnecessary.

Fifth one; the first paranthetical is unnecessary. And I go back
to the forth one. If the crying needs to start there, if there is
no other place the crying can start then it's needed there. Most
times telling the actor how to read a line is not necessary. Your
writing is good enough, your characters developed well enough
that the actor (and the director) will feel the emotion and make
those choices during the rehearsal process.

directorik, the first, and the fifth. When you say unnecessary the (to the reporters), you mean unnecessary in parentheses, or unnecessary in general?

Because if I don't write that the girl talks to reporters, the reader can assume that she speaks to the protagonist, who is also there.

And if I don't write that Stan speaks to the reporter's camera, the reader can assume that he speaks to the reporter himself, which is being held as hostage.

FWIW, I accept that I am "a worthless slice of nothingness in the movie industry."

...And as long as you do, that philosophy will prevent you from ever being what you could have been.

Birdman, your default argument is always “Bin that script!”. Yet you
know I am a reader and I have said many times these things will not
cause a reader to toss a script. I never suggested putting action in
the paranthetical will hurt the chances of selling a script. Things have
changed and it's to the advantage of writers to understand the changes.
Rayw is wrong. Not keeping up will not cause a reader scream “nube”
or to bin the script. However, keeping up will show the reader the writer
is keeping up.

...I didn't single you out as the "Bin Master". You have, in the past, made it clear how bad most of the scripts are and have also pointed out the slim chances of people making it as a Spec Script writer. I can't fault you for any of that, but it still aligns you with the majority of seasoned posters on this forum that say the future for the spec script writer is bleak.

To be fair, you seem to have softened that view as of lately. ...You big frickin' softy!

I am not against it. If it's that important to Inaruis to do it, he should
do it. The Sorkin example you use is when it becomes necessary; a
character talking to two different people. Inaruis example is one that
can be done in the action line – perhaps should. No reader will bin that
script for that reason.

...My reaction was more focused at RayW (which I also love) and his lambasting of the "Noob Scpec Writer". If you look up a few posts I'm agreeing with your take on parenthetical use.

As usual, Birdman, you see any advice as negative, as putting down
writers, as trying to control them. Once in a while it might help to see
the positive side of the advice given.

...That is simply not true at all. Matter of fact, your very first response post to me has been utilized in my Screenplay. It's the one where you offered "advice" on how to script out a character watching movie scenes on TV. MUCH of the advice given here is good. What draws my anger is the consistent defeatist attitude I see so often in these threads. Rayw promoted that philosophy once again in this thread.

Yah, sure. It's really tough to be a Spec Script Writer. No matter how slim the margin for success, people DO make it! Indie Paul posts links to these success stories all the time. When people post that, "Spec Writers don't count", "Our visions are meaningless" and that we are "nothing more than grunts" that's striking at the very soul of creativity. ...No wonder so many people give up!

Every one of you need to toss out the grim outlook for success and promote the idea that ANYONE can sell a Spec Script ...if it's really that damned good. Focus on telling people to make one better than Hollywood has ever seen!

That should be the follow-up line to any negativism posted about how damned hard it is.

-Birdman

Last edited:
Inarius, write it the way you feel is best for your script. This is
just my advice and not a “rule”. Some here are already getting
bent because my advice is more restrictive than they like.

It is d@mn hard.

I've done the homework and presented the evidence: Most distributed films are by writer/directors.
This means very few are by "guys with resources but no ideas of their own" - so they bought someone else's ideas via screenplay.
And it's a small percentage of those writers that have no previously produced work.

Yeah!

It is hard being a nube spec screenwriter.

Just accept that! :yes:

@Inarius: You are partly right but mostly wrong about including actions in dialogues. You will occasionally see an action included in a dialogue but it is STRONGLY discouraged. It IS NOT used to save space but to indicate an action that co-occurs with a dialogue. ... However, that doesn't mean it's generally accepted. In one sense, the dialogue and the action are both "scene shots". Used in this way it passes information to the actor. ... Some writing gurus will tell you 'never'. It's often because newbies go crazy and substitute it for action lines. Scripts littered with parentheses will often get rejected. It's not about saving space but having a clear, readable script. Actions should occur outside of dialogue. They're shot setups. On the rare occasion it may be needed, be concise. It should add to the immediate context of the dialogue and not be standalone. The situations when you would include an action in a dialogue, though, are extremely few.

...Fantasy: That bolded text is the method Inarius was referring to. And from what I understand nobody says to do it that way. It would save space in the long run, but it's generally not accepted. -Birdman

@Birdman: Again, I think we're in agreement that while most authorities say DON'T, in actual screenplays you will find that screenwriters DO. However, as I tried to emphasize, they occur very infrequently and only in the context of the dialogue. Your example is a good one that emphasizes my point.

...This one:
Code:
                                     KAFFEE
                         We believe it did, sir.
                              (glancing at the paper, 
                              then motioning to 
                              the AIRMEN)
                         Defense'll be calling Airman Cecil 
                         O'Malley and Airman Anthony Perez. 
                         They were working the ground crew at 
                         Andrews at two a.m. on the seventh.
-Birdmam
It's about discipline. There are prodigies like Mozart who by 10 could play dozens of instruments and write staggering compositions. You have some 10 y.o.'s who are prodigious and execute the most astonishing performances on one instrument. Then you have the majority of musicians who dedicate their lives to mastering instrument and composition. It doesn't matter how brilliant the composer if they can't write down the music in a way others can create it. Every composer is taught "the rules" for counterpoint, modes, harmonic progressions, instrument ranges, formats, etc. Once they've mastered these, they can improvise and break "the rules". The same is true of any art, including screenwriting.

None of the suggestions by this group apply specifically to a filmmaker producing their own film. No one can quantify how many parentheses are bad. If used frequently, it suggests a lack of experience which often correlates with a weak story. Parentheses are directions. Unless the writer is also the director, the writer doesn't need to focus on directing the action.

There is also the caveat that most of the available scripts online are the shooting scripts, not the actual spec scripts. Shooting scripts often have details added after the fact by the script supervisor who revises the dialogue as delivered to match the movie or assist the editor. I don't believe in "absolutes"--never do this or that. However, having worked with companies, I recognize that the quality of the writing does strongly correlate with the inability of writers to judiciously break the rules. Too much is never a good thing.

Like music, not every band or singer makes it to the top. Watching "The Voice" or "American Idol" should emphasize that desire doesn't always match ability. Often, you can see who will fail when they step up in front of the judges by the way they look or talk. The same is true of a script. How many notes does a singer have to miss to be 'bad'? Readers, like the judges, have to wade through lots of wannabes. Does that mean they're biased or that they know what America looks for in an "idol"? Does that mean no one should try to be a singer? Hell no, lots of musicians hook up to form bands or perform solo but they never make it big. Talent and luck figure into it. If you're trying to get picked up by a music producer, you need to have a style that matches what's marketable at the time.

Yeah, I might be radical by "breaking the rules" and doing disco. But sending to a hip hop producer won't get me a contract. Sending it to most music producers won't get me a contract. Thinking that it's a bug up the music producers' asses doesn't change the fact that "my style" isn't selling. If I'm a vocal coach trying to help you train your voice but you prefer to do it your own way, that's fine. Does every vocal coach have to be an opera or rock star? (For that matter, not every doctor you have was top of their class.) The same is true with screenwriting.

Is being a spec writer dead end? Hell no. But if you're sincere about having the best chance possible, you still need coaching. Part of that coaching is to learn the basic rules and be able to apply them well.

@Inarius: NEVER put the parentheses AFTER the character's name in a dialogue. The only time you do that is for a voiceover (V.O.) or off camera (O.C.).

Directorik was on target with his feedback. If there are only one or two people in the room, you don't need a "(to X)" reference. It should be clear who is being addressed visually. You really only need that if there is a group and it's necessary to distinguish who is being addressed.

No, you don't need to win the lottery to make your film. Learn to network locally with others. However, if you're trying to sell a spec script to a Hollywood studio with NO produced works, yeah, you might as well buy a lottery ticket. Selling/optioning a script to smaller independent studios, though, is quite possible. They often have smaller budgets and you don't get huge bucks, but you do get paid and get credit which are the stepping stones to landing a contract with a major studio. Like most endeavors, building up credentials takes time and effort. True prodigies are few and far between. And FWIW when you do read their works, it is usually immaculate and follows the "rules".

Back