• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Why are scripts in the format they're in?

I'm looking at several scripts as examples for my work, and, yes, I have several scenes being fleshed out. But I'm curious as to the format. The description of the scene is done in paragraph form, like a novel, but the dialogue places the speaker and his lines at the center of the page.

So we would have something like this:

Hero and bad guy are alone in the desert. Hero takes out his pistol.

Hero (pointing pistol at bad guy)
Drop your weapon!​

Bad guy drops his sword and raises his hand.

Bad guy
I surrender.​

Why are scripts in this format? Thanks for the education. :)

If your question is why, I don't know. What I know is that proze, novels, screenplays, poetry - all have their own formats. I think it's because they came from different folks and different cultures. You can also see ancient manuscript styles - there are complete different formats.

A better representation here uses the advanced editor box option using code tags.

Code:

HERO
		Drop your weapon!

BAD GUY
		I surrender.

It's a simple way of differentiating between the needs of cast and crew.
Actors need to focus on delivering their lines, so don't muddle mix up dialog with the descriptions.
The crew that needs to move stuff about are better able to focus on what's to be moved where and when.

What screenwriting program are you using?

Also, two resources:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12721428/Professional-Screenplay-Formatting-Guide
http://www.imsdb.com/latest/

Go crayzeee!

Sometimes I think it's better to use some descriptions inside the dialogue, because it saves 2 lines of the page. You know, space is crucial. Suppose the bad guy has to say something before he raises a hand, raise a hand, and they say he surrenders. 3 things. So in this case I prefer this:

Code:

HERO
		Drop your weapon!

BAD GUY 
                You're a pain in the ass!
          (drops his sword and raises a hand)
		I surrender.

rather than this:

Code:

HERO
		Drop your weapon!

BAD GUY

BAD GUY (CONT'D)
		I surrender.

That's of course if he has to say the "You're a pain in the ass" line. If not, rayw way is better

Last edited:
I just used MS Word, no screenwriting program. Should I get one? :)

What're code tags?

If you plan on doing any real screenwriting, you should make use of any of the number of available screenwriting programs. They make formatting so much simpler. I use Celtx, it's free. As for code tags, they are HTML bits that allow you to enter graphics, smiles, or other data chunks (such as formatting) into a forum. The use brackets [] to tell the editor that you are going to insert something and [/] to tell the editor that you are done.

Mogul, Inarius, both you guys, use this. http://celtx.en.softonic.com/

It's free.

Learn industry standards, otherwise when you start getting better and people who know what they're looking at start reading your screenplay's they'll know, or believe, you're not a hack.

If you were a writer you wouldn't present to editors and publishers your novel as handwritten wide ruled spiral bound notebooks, would you?
Same thing.

Sometimes I think it's better to use some descriptions inside the dialogue, because it saves 2 lines of the page. You know, space is crucial. Suppose the bad guy has to say something before he raises a hand, raise a hand, and they say he surrenders. 3 things. So in this case I prefer this:

HERO
Drop your weapon!

BAD GUY
(drops his sword and raises a hand)
I surrender.

Ho-leeeeee!
No no no no.
Do NOT "use some descriptions inside the dialogue."

Dialog is dialog.
Descriptions are descriptions.

Last edited:
Ho-leeeeee!
No no no no.

Dialog is dialog.

I saw many screenwriters insert the character's actions inside the dialogue. They do it when the character needs to do something during his conversation. Of course, it refers ONLY to the character's actions. If something else happens in the scene, it CAN'T BE inside the dialogue.

As to why, I don’t know exactly. But the format has evolved over the years, to be where it’s at now.

The current standard format, to my mind, makes everything simple to read. Even for a casual reader, everything flows just nicely. The pacing of a correctly formatted script gives enough time and space for the reader to form a picture of the scene in their mind, without being distracted by unnecessary junk. This also leads to the page-per-minute rule-of-thumb. In a correctly formatted screenplay, a single page will (there-or-thereabout) equate to a single minute of screen time. Dialogue heavy pages may be over sooner than a minute; Action heavy pages, a little longer than a minute. But they tend to even themselves out.

Ray is right, get Celtx and use it.

Ray is also right on action between lines of dialogue… Don’t do it. The only time that I use parenthesis between dialogue is if the dialogue shifts focus to another individual. For example:

Code:
                       RAYW
                     (to Inarius)
            You shouldn’t put action into the middle of dialogue.
                      (to Mad_Hatter)
            Isn’t that right?

MAD_HATTER
             Yep. Sounds correct to me.

Ho-leeeeee!
No no no no.

Dialog is dialog.

Rayw is correct. Parentheticals are not convenient ways to save space. That reminds me of the poster who wanted to use contractions all the time in dialogue ...just to save space.

The only time I use Parentheticals is when the dialogue would be confusing without its use (like indicating who the character is talking to). The only other times I use them is to express an emotion I want conveyed that the reader may not be able to pick up on just by reading the dialogue. I.e., (angrily), (confused), (sarcastically).

Wanna save space? Use less description.

-Birdman

@Aspiring: The code tags mentioned are only for this forum to make shared script segments display properly in the reply box. If you don't enclose the script in between the [ code] ... [ /code] tags, everything gets left justified.

As to your original question, the format has developed over the years from different practices. However, the major studios have adopted over time a common format that uses 12 pt Courier with precise spacing. When you follow this formatting, it was discovered that one page is roughly one screen minute. This makes for a useful planning tool. Another benefit is that using "the eighths", a producer can estimate the amount of time a scene requires to shoot.

Your original post used centering. That IS NOT proper formatting. There are actually indents used. You don't need a fancy program to write a script as long as you respect the proper margins.

@Inarius: You are partly right but mostly wrong about including actions in dialogues. You will occasionally see an action included in a dialogue but it is STRONGLY discouraged. It IS NOT used to save space but to indicate an action that co-occurs with a dialogue. Unfortunately, most new writers OVERUSE this. Both Ray and Madhatter used the parentheticals correctly.

Code:
INT. DINER - NIGHT

RACHEL sits across from TOM in the booth.  She stare agape as 
he trowels the syrup drenched pancakes into his mouth.

A beat.  He glances up, pauses and attempts to speak

TOM
                     (mouth full of food)
            Wha..?  I'm stah-vin'.

Her head shakes back and forth as he washes it down with coffee.

She spears her sausage link and cuts it before moving it to her
mouth in astonished silence.

TOM
             After being stuck in that jury room for
                   (fork jabs into the pancakes)
            twelve effing hours with Howard, I 
            needed this!
In the example above, the action occurs DURING the dialog. However, that doesn't mean it's generally accepted. In one sense, the dialogue and the action are both "scene shots". Used in this way it passes information to the actor. Some actors dislike it. Some directors dislike it. You're 'directing' from inside the script rather than telling a story.

It could equally be written:
Code:
                                TOM
             After being stuck in that jury room for -

his fork jabs into the pancakes

TOM
            - twelve effing hours with Howard, I 
            needed this!
Some writing gurus will tell you 'never'. It's often because newbies go crazy and substitute it for action lines. Scripts littered with parentheses will often get rejected. It's not about saving space but having a clear, readable script. Actions should occur outside of dialogue. They're shot setups. On the rare occasion it may be needed, be concise. It should add to the immediate context of the dialogue and not be standalone. The situations when you would include an action in a dialogue, though, are extremely few.

Scripts are formatted the way they are because they are easier to read that way. Another upside is that dialogue, action, and setting is not mixed up because they are separated and spaced out. Writing a screenplay in say, the format of a novel, would be frustrating and difficult.

Back