Who Doesn't Love Kittens?

Kittens are great until the punch holes in your $1500 audio monitors with their cute little claws.

Cats are fine until they rip your couch to shreds and it need to be reupholstered or they use the leg of your Steinway as a scratching post. Or when they slam into walls as they run around the house at five a.m. followed by 20 minutes of howling at the bedroom door.

However, I wouldn't mind being this little kitty...

cleavagekittypr8.jpg

Kittens are great until the punch holes in your $1500 audio monitors with their cute little claws.

Cats are fine until they rip your couch to shreds and it need to be reupholstered or they use the leg of your Steinway as a scratching post. Or when they slam into walls as they run around the house at five a.m. followed by 20 minutes of howling at the bedroom door.

However, I wouldn't mind being this little kitty...

cleavagekittypr8.jpg

Declaw. I know it's mean. But, it saves EVERYTHING!

I found Fannie Brice's autobiography at a flea market. It was autographed and in the garbage. When Karen and I moved in together her cat ripped the hell out of the spine.

Excerpt from my short script ONE SHOT DEAL:

Roper clips his fingernails, admiring his work. Kyle is busy with his binoculars. ROPER: You know that some long distance runners have their toenails completely removed? KYLE: I didn’t know people get declawed. ROPER: They don’t. If they did they’d have half their toes chopped off. KYLE: What do you mean? ROPER: When they declaw cats, they actually snip the first nub of their toes off. KYLE: God. That’s... barbaric. ROPER: Hell yeah it’s barbaric. Hurts like a bitch, too. But people love their new sofas so kitty toes go bye-bye. KYLE: And the runners? ROPER: With them they cut the whole thing out, pour acid on the nail bed, but their toes are left intact. KYLE: And they do this by choice? ROPER: The runners do, not the cats. KYLE: Gathered that. The two sit in silence. Time passes.

More info here.

In the veterinary field, declawing is a huge issue and many vets won't do it. There are so many alternatives, but owners are lazy. If they saw what happens when their cat wakes up from anesthesia with bloody paws, totally confused and in pain, they'd reconsider.

But hey, who doesn't love kittens?

Wheat, are you able to pet those 2 female cats? If so, might be worth putting them in carriers to get spayed. Lots of local shelters, the SPCA and some vets will do it for free or very low cost.

There are a lot of programs out there to help reduce unwanted feral population http://www.feralcat.com/

The welfare of kitties and cats is a big part of my wife's life and mine as well.

On a daily basis she sees grown men, women, and children openly weep and breakdown in tears over euthanizing their cat or dog of 5-25 years, so the human-animal bond is definitely on our minds a good portion of the time.

If anyone has questions about cat behavior that was causing problems at home I'd happily pass them on to Rebecca and she could offer a few professional tips.

Oh that wasn't a criticism on you or your post. Sorry if it came off that way. :)

I just can't help but think of that article when any of the topics in it come up. I love cracked :P

I'm with you, Jeff. I'm also not a fan of clipped ears and tails on dogs, though the de-clawing is definitely worse.

So, obviously this wouldn't help anyone with cats who claw furniture, but I've had good fortune training Jean-Luc not to ever use his claws on me. From day-1, I've enforced a zero-tolerance policy. If he ever uses his claws, in any way, he gets tossed from my lap, immediately (no, I don't mean "tossed" violently, I just mean that he is immediately removed from the lap, or whatever, in a decisive yet non-abusive way). Totally worked. Nothin' but soft paws over here. :)

In the veterinary field, declawing is a huge issue and many vets won't do it. There are so many alternatives, but owners are lazy. If they saw what happens when their cat wakes up from anesthesia with bloody paws, totally confused and in pain, they'd reconsider.

But hey, who doesn't love kittens?

Just because some vets won't do it, doesn't mean the rest are barbaric, and the owners lazy. People deal with things differently. If there was some proof that a cat lived a completely different life after being declawed it would be outlawed. But, there isn't.

Is it painful? Sure. Many things in an animals life is painful. Like being killed by a group of raccoons. It's a disgusting awful sound. So is having a tumor removed. Or having a leg broken, or getting a shot. Does it pass? Yeah. This I know is a fact. Because all three of our cats have been declawed, and they act exactly the same now as they did before they were declawed. Is there anything they can't do now, that they could do then? No. They can still jump up onto the highest piece of furniture. The only thing they can't do is claw everything. They still do, but nothing happens.

The only problem with a declawed cat is they can't defend themselves. But, they shouldn't be outside anyway.

We've become such a bleeding heart society, that we think that these animals feel exactly like we do. Well they don't. One of the outside cats had a back paw practically cut off. She could only walk on three. I figured she'd be dead within a month or so. That was over a year ago. It healed. She didn't think crap of it. It hurt, she didn't walk on it. It healed she runs on it.

I hear so many bleeding hearts bitch about the hard lives of outdoor cats. There's snow and it's cold outside, the poor things. They'd love to be sitting by the fire or on a nice cozy blanket. NO they wouldn't. They're perfectly happy exactly where they are. They don't need our assistance unless we're going to feed them. If you're gonna feed them, give them food and leave them the hell alone. They don't want to by your friend. They don't care about you. They don't love you. They want the food and that's it. Don't give them more credit then they deserve. They're beautiful and lovely to look at. But, they don't function the same as humans.

But hey, who knows for sure? Ask a cat. Ask one of my cats. Because they live a life of luxury. They are perfectly happy and content.

my cat had claws it's whole life - we taught it to trash the clawing post. It lived outside and brought mice to our door.

The only reason I'd de-claw a cat would be if I had a baby in the house.

I've heard horror stories of parents leaving their infant in the car for 2 seconds alone with a bulldog and the dog ripping off it's face.

I bet the Pixar movie "Cats" will have this as a story point - one of the characters will be de-clawed and the rest of the alley cats make fun of him for being a sissy. It will be funnier than the "cone of shame" from Up.

Last edited:
Quick point of order. I have all male cats.. sans wobbly bits,
you mixed me up with another poster.

Wheat, are you able to pet those 2 female cats? If so, might be worth putting them in carriers to get spayed. Lots of local shelters, the SPCA and some vets will do it for free or very low cost.

There are a lot of programs out there to help reduce unwanted feral population http://www.feralcat.com/

The welfare of kitties and cats is a big part of my wife's life and mine as well.

On a daily basis she sees grown men, women, and children openly weep and breakdown in tears over euthanizing their cat or dog of 5-25 years, so the human-animal bond is definitely on our minds a good portion of the time.

If anyone has questions about cat behavior that was causing problems at home I'd happily pass them on to Rebecca and she could offer a few professional tips.

Back