Where to Start?

Hi everyone!

Okay, so, I want to make a short. I have 2 of my own scripts done, one is still in editing that I wrote for a director-friend of mine.

I want to get cracking this summer and start a showreel, but I don't really know where to start. I have a tripod, a Sony DCR-SX45 Handycam, scripts, and...that's about it.

I know I can't be the only one who has experienced this before, so I'm hoping to get some pointers as to where to go next.

One of the reasons I really haven't made anything yet, is because I'm a perfectionist, and I know that, as an amateur filmmaker, what I have envisioned won't turn out the way I envisioned it.

Another thing is I compare my Handycam to other cameras, and constantly tell myself that it wouldn't hold up to make a short look good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Get a few friends to act and help as crew. Start shooting. Make a short film. Get critiques. Learn from the first film. Make another. Keep doing this over and over and you'll get better at filmmaking. It's what I've been doing for three years as I've been learning filmmaking. I'm still an amateur but I learn more and get better with each project.

As for your camera, the image from a $200 handycam that is properly framed and lit will look better than improperly framed and poorly lit footage from a $1000 DSLR. Learn the techniques behind cinematography. Do the best you can with the tools you have until you can upgrade. A great camera is nothing without a great cinematographer. Also, remember, sound is half the experience. Get great production sound and your film will be exponentially better.

How can you be a perfectionist of something if you haven't even tried it?

You'll undoubtedly make mistakes first time round, and even the second and third - so I wouldn't worry about that.

Suggestions? Go out and make a film. It's that simple.

I like everything to turn out how I envision it, and if it doesn't or won't, it bugs me.

Start getting used to it. :lol:

Whether it's rain on your EXT Sunny Day , or having to settle for a Miata instead of the script's Ferrari, or having to call in a favor to use a buddy's rundown apartment to substitute for that ostentatious mansion... whether it's fickle fate, or just plain budget says it's a no-go...

...you'll fare pretty well if you can accomodate the changes that go with the territory.

I have 2 of my own scripts done

What kind of scripts you writing? :cool:

Perfection is something you approach, never achieved.
Hope for excellence, plan for mediocrity and be happy in between.

Do the most you can with what you have now. Don't wait for "better light" or "more money" or "new camera" start living it now...

Perfectionist in the fact that that's my personality type. I like everything to turn out how I envision it, and if it doesn't or won't, it bugs me.
If the finished product bugs you then you try something different
and get better.

Being a "perfectionist" means you do the very best you can - it does
not mean you only do the best work. A lot of people use the term as
a way to avoid trying anything. "I can't make a movie now because
I'm a perfectionist and I don't have the best camera." - "I can't make
a movie now because I don't have the money I need and I'm a
perfectionist." - "I can't make a movie now because..."

Don't fall into this "personality type" excuse. Rise above that. Make a
movie with what you have and do it the very best you can. Then make
another one right away using what you have and do it the very best
you can. I know way too many people who use "perfectionist" to keep
from even trying. Is that who YOU are? Or are you the type who uses
what they have to make the very best movie they can no matter what?

Okay, you want some pointers? First do not go into your first movie with
the hope that it will be on your "show reel". Go into your first movie
knowing that you will learn and understanding that you will get better.
Especially since your personality type is "perfectionist". Plan on your third
movie being the first that goes on your showreel. I'll just echo what Steve
already said because I fully agree with him. It isn't the camera it how you
use the camera. And audio is just as important so put as much effort into
audio as you do into picture. And by "picture" I mean lighting. Just one or
two lights will make a huge difference - you cant get an exposed image
but that doesn't mean you have a well lit image.

When do you shoot?

Perfectionist in the fact that that's my personality type. I like everything to turn out how I envision it, and if it doesn't or won't, it bugs me.

Nobody has that much money...

As a former musician I can tell you that it's the hours and hours of practice that count. That's what these shorts are, your practice. Practice is where you're supposed to make mistakes, and lots of them. That's why you practice, so you can learn from your mistakes.

What were the biggest issues with your first shorts? Those should be the first things that you address.

Hi everyone!

Okay, so, I want to make a short. I have 2 of my own scripts done, one is still in editing that I wrote for a director-friend of mine.

I want to get cracking this summer and start a showreel, but I don't really know where to start. I have a tripod, a Sony DCR-SX45 Handycam, scripts, and...that's about it.

I know I can't be the only one who has experienced this before, so I'm hoping to get some pointers as to where to go next.

One of the reasons I really haven't made anything yet, is because I'm a perfectionist, and I know that, as an amateur filmmaker, what I have envisioned won't turn out the way I envisioned it.

Another thing is I compare my Handycam to other cameras, and constantly tell myself that it wouldn't hold up to make a short look good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Hidden, don't worry about your camera. As Steve said, just make sure you really think and plan your lighting and framing. It probably won't be the way thought it would be because this is your first time but that is part of the process, looking over the film and working out what could have been done differently. There is nothing to stop you redoing if you want to.
Also, try to get people on board who have already worked on shorts, they can help steer you through this.

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
I don't think anybody mentioned this, but unless your scripts are silent shorts you are going to need some audio gear. My suggestion is to network as much as possible. Post a craigslist ad for volunteer work and a chance to build a film crew. If you have a university or Art Institute near by post flyers or look for flyers. Ask the film or audio/visual departments about rentals (don't expect much, but if you don't try you'll never know).

I agree with directorik, forget about the "perfectionist" title. That will only lead to unneccassary anxiety and pressure.

(A) I want to get cracking this summer and start a showreel, but I don't really know where to start. I have a tripod, a Sony DCR-SX45 Handycam, scripts, and...that's about it.

(B) One of the reasons I really haven't made anything yet, is because I'm a perfectionist, and I know that, as an amateur filmmaker, what I have envisioned won't turn out the way I envisioned it.

(C) Another thing is I compare my Handycam to other cameras, and constantly tell myself that it wouldn't hold up to make a short look good. Any suggestions?
(A) Start by considering your resources. Not just financial, but also your locations (FREE ones are the best), your actor/friends, your budget for costumes and props, and what your equipment's limitations are.
Don't waste time writing a pie-in-the-sky story you can't produce.
Don't expect your brother Steve to spring all Bob De Niro on you or Beth next door to pull down some Meryl Streep tears, either.
Don't write a "cast-of-twenty take a rocket ride to Uranus to fight CGI squid monsters from Hades"

Write what you can record.

(B) Everyone's done jumped on this June bug. Watch some DVD director commentaries on how the films were made. My faves are for Cabin Fever, Fight Club, and The Expendables.
A lot changes from script to screen due to budget, location, actors, and editing.
This doesn't mean "it's okay to be sloppy." It means "know what's good enough, then move on."
It's a short. No one really gives a sh!t. Not really.
It's probably not going to be your 'Alive in Joburg' or 'Factory Farmed' production. Probably.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPl6XpFVNKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvZ2GTGyE8s

(C) It ain't Shakespeare's pen.
Your camera's 720 resolution will be just fine.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/sony-handycam-dcr-sx45/4505-6500_7-34488371.html
Often it's the operator's loathsome shaky-cam that hurts them, so keep it on the tripod, cut down on the caffeine, or build a DIY shoulder rig.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....0.0.0.0.163.1427.23j1.24.0...0.0.2rOFQ_N1Dtw

And thank God your camera at least has an external microphone minijack plug.
Even a entry level putzy microphone jacked in will give you better audio than what you can capture on board.
GET THE MIC OFF THE %$&# CAMERA! :lol:

What do you have to edit your video with? What NLE program? What 'puter specs?

And who did you want to show your short to? Who's the audience? The target market?

Make a lot of practice films so you know what works and what doesn't, especially if it's a shot you've never done before. You'll want to internalize as much as possible so that you can instantly respond to situations as they come up without having to constantly go back and forth between referencing a manual.

The last thing you want is spend half a day filming only to find out in post that your entire scene was too dark because you didn't anticipate your lighting needs.

Back