Where to begin?

Wsup ppl. I'm starting to take steps toward my dream of being a filmmaker. But it seems beginning is the hardest part. I'm still in the process of getting a camera but as far as things not dealing with cinematography/equipment/editing I want to know where do I begin. I have ideas but not sure how to put them down. I also need help with concepts for something that I can attach to a college application. Thanks in advance.

Get cheapest camera you can afford and edit in iMovie. After you've shot and edited a few shorts with these two items you'll know what the next steps are.

Good luck.

Touché. Don't buy anything expensive. And please don't post your response sonethinh along the lines of "oh I just want to learn on something professional so I don't gave to spend move money in the end". That's a bullshit excuse. Turn on an iphone camera (borrow your friends if u don't have one), get a shot, record an audio onto iPhone, throw it all into iMovie or windows movie makes and you re done.

Don't fall into the whole "Im a complete noob and will have $1000 in 3 months for a camera, lights, and mic, what is the best crap can I get".

Get off the forum and write a two page screenplay of your journey to the kitchen and u re getting attacked by a salami monster.

Good luck! :)

Beginning is the easiest part.

As GuerrillaAngel said, bet the cheapest camera you can and
make a movie. That's what I did when I was 14 - that's what
every filmmaker you like did. You learn by doing. Make one
short movie a month with a crappy camera and bad actors. Try
something different each time like better lighting, more camera
movement, interesting angles. Have fun and learn.

THEN comes the hardest part.

Beginning is the easiest part.

As GuerrillaAngel said, bet the cheapest camera you can and
make a movie. That's what I did when I was 14 - that's what
every filmmaker you like did. You learn by doing. Make one
short movie a month with a crappy camera and bad actors. Try
something different each time like better lighting, more camera
movement, interesting angles. Have fun and learn.

THEN comes the hardest part.

Your talking about a making a feature I take it?

And yeah, don't worry too much about spending loads on all the best gear at first. Get to grips with the art of filmmaking more first.

Echoing what others have already said. Shoot a zero budget short film with as little as two locations, one indoors and one outdoors.

Through the pre, production and post you'll come across many realizations like, "Hey wait. It would've been better if i'd done that first" etc.

You can even use windows movie maker to edit your first film if you have a PC. Just get a cheap digital HD cam to start. Then you can buy an external clip on mic and light like they use on ghost hunting shows where they shoot it all themselves. I love the ghost hunting shows because they are so creative with minimal equipment, lighting and sound.

Back