Where do good ideas come from?

I'm the type of person who absolutely loves using every idea I ever have in some way, but the thing is, I find it hard to come up with good ideas, especially with film. They just don't come as naturally for me as they do for other things. What are some good ways to brainstorm good ideas, and where should I look when trying to come up with ideas? I pretty much just make short films cause y'know, I'm a broke high schooler, so that might be something to take into consideration. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I'm still getting used to the site lol

Recently I had this idea that's pretty awesome, i'm excited about it.
It's about a young boy that is shocked by a sudden invitation to go to wizard school.

I think people are gonna love it. Trying to figure out where I got the idea tho...
Okay okay it was inspired by harry potter, I admit it.

Last edited:
Recently I had this idea that's pretty awesome, i'm excited about it.
It's about a young boy that is shocked by a sudden invitation to go to wizard school.

I think people are gonna love it. Trying to figure out where I got the idea tho...
Okay okay it was inspired by harry potter, I admit it.
How about ......

a story of man named Jed, poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed. Then, one day, he was out shooting at some food, out through the ground came the bubbling crude.

Oil, that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well, the next thing you know old Jed's a millionaire, ol' kin folks "Jed, get outta there ......."

What do you think? ;)

I'm the type of person who absolutely loves using every idea I ever have in some way, but the thing is, I find it hard to come up with good ideas, especially with film. They just don't come as naturally for me as they do for other things. What are some good ways to brainstorm good ideas, and where should I look when trying to come up with ideas? I pretty much just make short films cause y'know, I'm a broke high schooler, so that might be something to take into consideration. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I'm still getting used to the site lol
Just stay observant. Study people and situations. I'd stop looking for good ideas though. From my experience, good ideas just happen, plus I'm pretty sure that every bad film out there started because someone thought they had a good idea. The point is that you never know. My advice is tell stories that appeal to you then let other people decide if you had a good idea or not.

Hi, NuttyFilms:

Here are some ideas - maybe one of these will help you unlock your creativity. First, know who you are and where you came from. Your family and specifics of where & how you grew up informs your experience as a storyteller. That's your foundry, and usually the more you 'hide' aspects of yourself in your ideas, the better or more genuine the quality of storytelling will be. Second, be willing to suck. To create good ideas, you have to be willing to create bad ones sometimes. Give yourself permission to just free-associate things, write them down. Later, the Editor in you can re-read and see what works. You can discard the rest. Third, explore the idea not because you think it will make you beloved by others, or wildly successful. Do it for the love of the idea. You can nurture it, develop it, trash it -- it's up to you. Fourth, be a good friend, listen to others' ideas. Help them and you will help yourself get better. Good luck!

this is a hard question to answer. normally stories find me whether i like it or not. if you don't have that but you have dreams some time than that can be a source of stories. you can also look up folklore tales and fairytales. these stories are in the public domain and anyone can use them.

Last edited:
... if this doesn't help lets make up a simple story. this is what you need:
you can make that yourself with next to no money.
story:
you are walking near a cemetery when it starts to rain heavily. you run to take shelter under a tree or anything else in the cemetery. as you stand there a fresh grave catches your eye. there is your name on the tombstone. the rain stops. you walk towards the tombstone to have a closer look. it has h your birth date on it and the death date is today. at that moment there is a car crash outside the cemetery where you just walked. now the death date disappears, then the whole tombstone disappears.
close up: you'r totally baffled.
the end.
some tips: the car crash can be done with miniatures or if that's too hard for you here is an alternative.
a woman on a balcony accidentally throws down a pot which lands where you where walking.
the rain can be done with a close up and a water hose backed by the sound of thunder.
good luck

Last edited:
bro

post that gold in here

Back