Whats this?

Was wondering what that attachment is that looks like gears on the camera? is made specific for prime lenses? Im thinking of getting a Canon 60D for filming. Help me out guys thanks.
184354_188924954476842_100000780159414_429192_860120_n.jpg

fun stuff... Im trying to build up my primes to replace what Im giving up in the FD glass. The problem is wide and fast. Expensive any age, any format.

I have an Auto Yashica 28mm 2.8 on the way right now that I paid about $35 for, not very wide on a crop sensor I know. I'll let you know how it performs. One of the factors that got me to go ahead and get the 5D. Something "wide" and fast on a crop sensor is big money for sure.

Still learning here, but what type of prime lenses are good for these types of setups?

A lot of people use the M42 screw mount lenses we are talking about just because the adapters are cheap, and they work without a lot of issues (some do have mirror inteference issues, but they can be worked around).

Somebody is doing just about everything on these cameras. Medium format glass like hasselblad and mamiya, vintage 35mm like Nikon, Zeiss, Pentax, you name it.

Got home just in time for some daylight last night. Not the above experiment, but an example of some stuff with a couple of these lenses.

This is the Takumar 135mm 1:3.5 Mine has a fair bit of internal dust (probably buy another copy at some point), that makes this a little extra soft. You can see the razor thin DOF at wide open. It's a telephoto not a macro for sure. Minimum focal distance is 5 or 6 feet. I kept having to take a step back to take this photo.

5536264450_f9bdc69235.jpg

This is the Yashica 28mm 1:2.8 Some might not like that heavy fall off around the outside, but I LOVE it.

5535686065_88c4a90293.jpg

This is the Yashica 50mm 1:1.7 I don't have the right adapter yet. It's not an "auto" lens, so without a special adapter to depress a pin in the back the apperture is wide open all the time. I think I had to shoot something ridiculous like 1/1500 shutter speed to not totally blow this out. It looks pretty flat, but a daylight shot like this probably isn't where you'd use this lens anyway. I need to test it at other appertures and in low light to see if it looks bettter under those conditions.

5536264324_271b760136.jpg

Nice lenses Gonzo.

That 28 has a great look, very lush. That's going to make for some great shots on the 5d.

Also, just got a pricing pdf or two from these guys:

http://www.denz-deniz.com/index.php?page=7&productgroup=4&product=24

That's about $1K Euro. Spendy, but has some very sweet features, and is a superior design to the Zacuto ones, which are roughly equivalent in price.

Probably won't be the first thing I get, and it may not be the FF I get anyway - but it's currently a front runner.

Last edited:
I actually have the redrock micro V2 follow focus in my cart at B&H right now... trying to decide whether to go for it. $600 is about all I can go on a follow focus. I know it will have some annoyances, but seems the best at that price point at least.

I know you mentioned that it may not be worth it to jump from the $300 units to the $600 units, but at least the V2 looks well constructed and would likely hold some resale value.

Last edited:
Well, the D-focus is basically the v1 Red Rock in slightly different form (they use the same gears inside, apparently). I liked the v2 better, but not by much. Since resale is a consideration,I'd agree you're better of with something that has name recognition.

Well, the D-focus is basically the v1 Red Rock in slightly different form (they use the same gears inside, apparently). I liked the v2 better, but not by much. Since resale is a consideration,I'd agree you're better of with something that has name recognition.

that's my thinking. If I hate it, it doesn't work well enough I can always sell it for probably 80% or more of what I paid when it's upgrade time. I'm getting the Zacuto DSLR baseplate, the nice one that you can configure into a cage, mount rods in back, etc... Same kind of thing, it will hold resale value if I decide it's not what I need.

Wilbs23, tell me about it.. I have three lenses sitting on my shelf waiting for the adapters to be delivered... watch out, this can become an addiction.. at least its a cheap one!

well in my case i have nothing but a computer and software waiting on the gear, Im being teased after reading so much these pass couple of days. My savings for the gear i need is near, its gonna be christmas in july for me!!. Im also trying to save up for a good lighting kit so I can start messing with the techniques. a jib is on the list too. but my real challenge will be working with sound. BLEH!!, but its inspiring. Gonna need good sound gear.

The worst part is I have no intention of being my own DP on anything of consequence. I'd hire the guy I always use, but have him use mostly my gear. He's doesn't own a (video) camera. He works so much on other people's stuff he doesn't need to. In the past we have rented.

The worst part is I have no intention of being my own DP on anything of consequence. I'd hire the guy I always use, but have him use mostly my gear. He's doesn't own a (video) camera. He works so much on other people's stuff he doesn't need to. In the past we have rented.

Hmmm....good stuff for one (me) to think about. Are you implying the the roll as a director? just curious.

Hmmm...ood stuff for one (me) to think about. Are you implying the the roll as a director? just curious.

Yeah, I'm a director not a cinematographer. I know just enough to be dangerous on the DP front. I'm gearing up because you start getting into longer projects or more frequent projects and camera rental starts to not make sense.

Hey Jake,
I think there are no real rules to looking for old lense.. so long as you can make it work without having to break your camera go for it...

When I hit the pawn shop \ thrift store I first check for modern EOS compatible lenses. Take some time to study the mouting end of your kit lens. In pawn shops and thirft stores YOU have to know what your looking for, half the time the sellers have no idea.

When it comes to OLD lenses, youll need an adapter for sure, which adapter depends on which lens mount you end up with. Some lenses will require an adapter that has its own lens in it. You want to stay away from that. For example, dont ask why, but OLD canon FD lenses will NOT WORK on the NEW canon cameras. You CAN get an adapter that will sorta make it work, but it has its own lens and doesnt work worth a darn.

I belive the most popular lens mounts for the T2i are Nikon and Screw Mount M42. Check the wiki for these lens mounts so you can regocnize them when you see em, again, your likely the one who needs to know when digging in the box of old lenses..

the adapters are Nikon to EOS or M42 to EOS and can be found in the usueal places.

Couple more to compare:

Super Takumar 1:1.4 at wide open. Note the warmth of the colors from the lens coating. This example is EXTRAS yellow. Supposedly putting it in direct sun for a week or two takes this down a notch. It's an effect of the age on the coating. I paid $65 shipped for this lens.

5548558327_95a12bdb16.jpg

Brand new Canon EF 1:1.4 $399 shippped. This my "event" lens, when screwing with the Takumars is tooo much hassle. Same white balance, ISO etc... as above, also wide open I believe.

5548558019_b478ab86d6.jpg

Fun thread! Wanted to toss in my feedback on lenses and follow-focus...

I have a few M42-mount lenses, the Takumar 50mm/f1.4 being one of them. Great, fast lens, though it does lend a yellowish/warm cast to the footage, as Gonzo_Entertainment points out. The others are a 28mm/f2.8 and some old zoom lenses. The M42-to-EOS adapters were cheap enough that I got a couple to keep on the back of the lenses permanently for quicker lens swapping.

Eventually got a Sigma 30mm/f1.4 due to the crop factor on the Canon 7D. (Shooting with a 50mm lens on an APS-C sized sensor is closer to shooting at 80mm. ...so a 30mm lens in this case is closer to 50mm.)

My follow-focus was purchased from IndiSystem.com. I had one of their earlier models - the one that came with the flexible gears - and eventually sold it. The current one I use (indiFOCUSmini with SnapGears), I have zero complaints about. It has been solid and reliable. Really nice, especially considering the sub-$200 price.

Back