Whats this?

Was wondering what that attachment is that looks like gears on the camera? is made specific for prime lenses? Im thinking of getting a Canon 60D for filming. Help me out guys thanks.
184354_188924954476842_100000780159414_429192_860120_n.jpg

Hey frank, I dont care for the snap gears! I love the follow focus, but the snap gears are just not working for me. I picked up 6 redrock style gears from india and have one on every lens I use.

Yeah, the m42 adapters are about the least complicated adapters, I got a handfull for $8.00 each from amazon, good brand too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4QXN2 Iv not gotten them in the mail yet so Ill report if they suck.

I know that the fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapter is a fine piece of equipment, much better then the $12 cheapo form ebay.

I'm just noticing how impressed I am with the consistency of my framing, hehe. Those aren't tripod shots, they're handheld, and I went inside to change the lenses in between, yet framed it identical.

I went ahead and popped on the Redrock V2 FF. As noted earlier not sure it will be THAT much better than a $300 follow focus, but will probably hold it's resale value pretty well. The FF, 2 gears, and the Zacuto DSLR baseplate was about $1K to the good folks at B&H yesterday. The only thing left to complete my rig (now clocking in at close to 4.5K) is a monitor and a mattte box. The matte box IS one place I'm going to be cheap, but the monitor I may go for the DP6. With the 5D you really need one that scales up the image.

I should also note, I'm building a rig to shoot a feature film next year, so getting the best I can possibly afford in most cases.

Last edited:
Hey Gonzo,
I was about to pat your back, glad I don't need to know that you did it your self. ;)

Iv used an external monitor on my hand held rig for a year now, I just went to a magnifying view finder, I prefer the viewfinder. I like having the monitor for playback on lock down shots, it sits on its own tripod and I can move it around as needed.

Hey Gonzo,
I was about to pat your back, glad I don't need to know that you did it your self. ;)

Iv used an external monitor on my hand held rig for a year now, I just went to a magnifying view finder, I prefer the viewfinder. I like having the monitor for playback on lock down shots, it sits on its own tripod and I can move it around as needed.

I have the Zacuto Pro 3X, but I almost wish I had the 2.5X, the 3X is almost too much. I've used it a bit, and not crazy about it. It's nice to have for handheld, but for tripod shots I doubt I'll even mount it (the Zacuto).

I'm spending the next couple of days mulling over $200 for the coollcd that will be only marginally bigger than the viewfinder when you go into live view, or spending the $899 for the DP6 that scales the image up to fill the screen, has false color, etc....

Hey Gonzo, hit my local pawn shop today..

I picked up a couple of m42 screw mount lenses... tackumar 135mm f3.5 (sorta slow I know..)
and a chinon 55mm f1.4 that is beautiful s just to look at! Looks brand new. It came on a GAF L-14 35mm camera, they just tossed the camera in the bag too... I have no use for it either..

M42 Adapters arrived last night, preliminary test indoors and the 55mm chinon is GORGEOUS, creamy bokeh and very sharp. I need a better test outside for chromatic aberrations etc..
The 135 f3.5 is nice, but has almost 360 degrees of lens rotation for focus, cant quite make the red rock style gears I have work.. looks like a job for my previously maligned snap gears! (they are all teeth)

Yeah, I got the coollcd Lilliput jobbie and its good'ish. Though, if your talking about a powered set , then a nice BIG HD TV can be had for less then the $899

I know, I'm really confused/torn on this one. the $899 job is a 5.6 inch monitor, but it upscales the 5dmk2 output to fill the whole monitor, whereas on a cheap monitor it's black boxed on all 4 sides. I'm going to get a hdmi cable asap and see what it looks like on my son's 15" HD TV.

yeah, I see your problem but even if the screen is "filled" it still is SD during recording, so your not improving your resolution... just making the pixles bigger.. which I guess is good.

The OTHER features of the advanced monitor are probably more interesting from a practical stand point.. peaking, zebra etc are a good thing..

M42 Adapters arrived last night, preliminary test indoors and the 55mm chinon is GORGEOUS, creamy bokeh and very sharp. I need a better test outside for chromatic aberrations etc..
The 135 f3.5 is nice, but has almost 360 degrees of lens rotation for focus, cant quite make the red rock style gears I have work.. looks like a job for my previously maligned snap gears! (they are all teeth)

Yeah, they are almost all 270 and the 135mm is close to 360. I'll have to get one of the other gears as well.

My takumar 55mm 1.8 is my favorite lens I have at the moment. It's gonna be a go to lens bigtime.

yeah, I see your problem but even if the screen is "filled" it still is SD during recording, so your not improving your resolution... just making the pixles bigger.. which I guess is good.

The OTHER features of the advanced monitor are probably more interesting from a practical stand point.. peaking, zebra etc are a good thing..

Yep. Probably rent for my May shoot, and then do something later. I'm trying to hold back some of my gear budget for that thing I don't even realize I need with this camera.

Back