movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The last film I watched was avatar the way of the water, i would rate it a 9/10 i relly enjoyed it. I personally though that it was better than the first one what does everyone else think?

I watched M3GAN, which I probably wouldn't have if my curiosity wasn't peaked by their 60 million dollars in carpet bomb advertising. Surprisingly, it was a lot better than I expected. A template sci fi horror, that took itself about half seriously, and kind of worked out. The doll's eyes, and whatever they were using to animate it, were noticeably more believable than in any prior outing, such as Chucky.

Not really my kind of movie, but despite being a little shallow and stupid, it actually worked pretty well. I can see why they marketed it so much, I expect this will me a midrange hit.

Just finished You People. And I am moved that people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds--Jonah Hill and Kenya Baris--can get together and make a crappy movie. 4.7

Last edited:
For the 20th anniversary I went to the movie theater to watch Return of the King - runtime 4 hours 10 minutes....
I literally brought a pillow with me. lol. It was nice to lay sideways for a bit with the bed pillow.

Ridiculous maybe but so is a 4+ hour runtime in a theater seat.
Some of those battle scenes are shot with such amazing scale, especially when they are breaking down gondors front door

These two images really stood out to me this time...

Gandalf in Gondor on the edge of battle.

Sam and Frodo, alone in mordor

These images never struck me so powerfully before... granted I haven't watched ROTK nearly as much as i've seen the two towers.
Really enjoyed them this time around.. they have a timeless quality, like you know these people are sitting there in those places for such a long time with the weight of whats in front of them

Watched the 2nd Antman

This series continues to contract it's own rules lol, shit makes no sense throughout the film, and they even admit that in the opening of the movie.
They prep the whole audience, like get ready for this, cause it's not gonna make any sense. my life doesn't make any sense. lol.

I also did not understand Kang's motivations as a character, it seems like his actions were very contrived PURELY to create unneccessary conflict with scott, and the entire pivotal point of the movie just leaves me thinking WTF?? Why is this even happening?

But damn the fight scenes are cool and well done. The VFX teams and the fight choreographer did an amazing job.

Watched the new peter pan movie, damn it was bad lol. 1/5 stars.
even jude law as captain hook was bland and uninteresting and foolish

Rewatched Ip Man #1 and #2 and i FINALLY could recognize who the dude is in #2 that lost his mind.
He looks so different, steals a chicken, and is all crazy and demented because he took a bullet to the brain.

Anyway, its the dude that owned the cotton mill.
My mistake that I didn't notice his son, who totally looks the same, and is the dead giveaway that it was the dudes dad lol

Probably was too fixated on all the fight scenes the first couple times i saw it, and that guy never does any fighting

Last edited:
I saw The Covenant in our local theater last week - 4/5.

It's not really "my" kind of movie in that it's more of a war/combat story with a lot of fight scenes compared with my usual taste (talky dramas).
But it's very well done and I definitely recommend it. Plus I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

Oh yeah I also watched some of the new SCREAM movie.

Wow I have never seen anything so amateur in such a high budget film.
There was a jump cut from Hayden Panettiere's face to... Hayden Panettiere's face. lol.

From a close up to a close up. That was the best they had for the scene?

Oh yeah I also watched some of the new SCREAM movie.

Wow I have never seen anything so amateur in such a high budget film.
There was a jump cut from Hayden Panettiere's face to... Hayden Panettiere's face. lol.

From a close up to a close up. That was the best they had for the scene?
You know what's a really good idea for a product that succeeded by surprising people with the novelty of it's self aware nature? Repeat the formula about how formulas are repetitive 6 times with no variation.

The Prestige - 9/10

On a Nolan binge at the moment. Found this earlier film to be more artistic and satisfying upon multiple viewings. The skillful layering of narrative-within-narratives creates a unique viewing experience, and the decision to shoot a Victorian period piece in a predominantly handheld style struck me as brilliant and cool. Better than Inception, only because the plot relies more heavily on plot and performance than on special effects and setpiece.
Prestige is brilliant. Glad to hear it getting some love

Prestige came out the same year as "The Illusionist" and makes the Illusionist look like a piece of crap full of nonsense

Watched the new Dungeons and Dragons... it feels like ugardians of the galaxy without dave bautista.. and he was like the best part of the first GotG so this is kinda a miss. not terrible. James Marsden must have been pissed when chris pine got the role though

Chris Pine GIF by Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Last edited:
You've seen John Wick in three movies, but get ready for NUMBER FOUR
Cause this time he's got the ultimate challenge.. this time he's gotta out shoot a blind guy.

Lmao what in the fuck this movie was an entirely different caliber of all the other john wick movies
It was so fucking ridiculously stupid - a blind guy? lol

they honestly should have cast Ken Jeong as the bad guy, having a real comedian that was actually in on the joke would have dramatically improved this one. sorry donnie yen.

the hangover GIF

Last edited:
It's hard to believe that a series so well known for it's adherence to the plausible would veer off into such territory.

Personally, I rely on the John Wick series to tether me to reality. A consistent base upon which sensible people can build reliable mental definitions of proportional response.

I wasn't even addressing the plausibility or realism, i'm talking about having a worthy adversary
You don't build someone up as the ultimate badass for 3 movies and then pitch them against a disabled dude lol

What's next for John Wick 5 is he gonna fight a quadriplegic that aims his gun with a straw? Fucking blind guy smh

Last edited:
Wife and I saw Hypnotic on Sunday and really enjoyed it. I knew it was a Rodriguez flick and that it was inspired by the old Hitchcock films, but that was it. I can see how some people don't like it, but for what it was trying to be, I thought it was great. Loved all the twists and turns, though I sort of predicted one of them about half way through, and really liked the mid-credit surprise.

It felt like a return for Robert to his low budget roots. I would even describe the film as the biggest budget, low budget film I've seen. The majority of it was shot in and around his studios in Austin and if you're anything of a Rodriguez fan, you're sure to recognize many locations, actors and even dialogue.

Ok, so I watched the remake of "White Men Can't Jump"

It was great. A charming film that told a good story with Zero of whatever the filmmaker's politics were. I literally could not tell you.

I liked each character, I was rooting for them to make it, the dynamics were simple, but ultimately satisfying. This movie won't change your life, or teach you any important lessons, but it was a good story, well told.

Just watched Sisu. This was a decent movie, if a bit basic in it's plot. An indie film (5 million dollar variety) where they were pretty smart about their budgeting, and used pacing to hide their weak spots. Not anything amazing, but a solid B- on a d+ budget.

Also I have to give Sisu props for one special distinction. Out of all the movies I've seen, this one scored the highest on a particular metric. When I saw the movie poster, and imagined what the movie would be like, and then later watched the movie, it was exactly what I was expecting from the poster. Literally I knew the whole plot of the movie by looking at this poster.

1685797485060.png

1686914445513.png

Joan is Awful,

Ok, this was a seriously bizarre experience. I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror season 6. This one was a sci fi horror movie, as most are, but the episode was about the exact area of technology I'm working on, and what's likely to happen if corporations get ahold of it, which they basically already have in the last few months. He added in the factor of quantum computing, and painted a picture of automated corporate exploitation via AI, which is you know, inevitable. I got an extra layer of meta out of if because it's a show about someone watching their own life on tv, and then they start talking about my actual IRL work, which is super niche, like still only maybe a few thousand globally working on actual AI automation for film on any scale beyond tik tok.

Anyway, kind of a mind blowing episode of television. There were parts that were pretty uncomfortable to watch, but that comes with the territory for Charlie Booker. Definitely for mature audiences with a strong stomach. Anyway 3.5 out of 4.

Back