movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Halloweentown films...yeah, they're my Halloween season guilty pleasure. They're not very good, maybe a 4/10 over the course of the series. But as far as pure entertainment value goes, I'll give them a 7/10.

Alice In Wonderland (1903) directed by Cecil M. Hepworth, Percy Stow - 5.5/10
This is a great historical piece but it doesn't really hold up as a film. The effects are really great at the time, and one or two images are really good and will stay in my mind. I love supporting good obscure cinema or old cinema, but I can't honestly say I enjoyed this movie especially if you compare it to the masterworks of Georges Melies at the time. Watch it if you're a huge fan of the book or if you love film history, but skip it otherwise.

The Golem (1915) directed by Paul Wegener and Henrik Galeen - 8/10
Only a short fragment remains of this film, however, its clear to me that it may have been a masterpiece. Here the German Expressionist style is exemplified in the horror genre (similar to Nosferatu). I love the cinematography in the film, and the scenes that are remaining were very fun to watch. The first shot in the fragment uses shadow very effectively.

The Green Mile 9/10
Wait Until Dark 8/10
Lifeboat 9/10

Nice choices. Lifeboat is great and Wait Until Dark is probably my favorite horror film. It's a tie with that and evil dead 2 but I am a huge audrey hepburn fan. Not as great of an actress as barbara stanwyck but she charms the hell out of me.

Three of my favorite movies have audrey hepburn..
Charade (SO so good)
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Love in the Afternoon

All in my top 50 films list

Orc Wars 2/10 - Gains a points for the Orc costumes/makeup - about the only things right with this movie. :yes:

We stuck it out until the end though. It's one of those films that keeps you glued to it just to see what silly stuff will happen next.

(Apologies if anyone here was responsible for this! :P)

Animal Kingdom - Aussie Crime drama from a few years back. I like a good cryptic ending but this one just sort of limps across the finish line, some nice dark touches early on though and terrific acting across the cast. 7/10

Bait 3D - Shockingly bad. Not as fun as Piranha. Not even as good as Sharknado. Good set though, let down by.... well.... everything else. 3/10

Hitchcock - Really enjoyed it. The portrayal of Hitchcock was fun, not as serious and self-conscious as I was expecting. 8/10

Avalanche directed by Mikio Naruse - 8/10
This was the first film I've seen by this Japanese master and I enjoyed it a lot. Naruse really knows how to work within the melodrama genre in this early film. The story isn't particularly great, and I found the second half of the film to be rushed however the visuals and direction of the film was great. I liked the matching compositions in the film similar to the work of Ozu, and I also like how Naruse darkened the image when representing the mind of the characters. This isn't one of the best films of its kind but it made me care for the characters and was enjoyable to watch. I look forward to watching Naruse's later masterpieces.

Tokyo Story directed by Yasujiro Ozu - 10/10
This film has possibly dethroned Ozu's Late Spring to become my favorite feature film of all-time! I had high expectations for the film ever since I heard about it a year and a half ago and it has exceeded them! Ozu's ascetic visual style is here in all its glory with incredible characters and a minimalistic plot. The film is also possibly the saddest film I've ever seen. Based on what I heard about the story before I thought the film was going to be more moralistic than it actually was, the film is very objective in its portrayal of this postwar Japanese family. Even though this is my favorite film, I'm not sure if those unfamiliar to the slower Ozu style should start here, once I watch more Ozu films I'll find out which is the best introduction to his work. Anyone into family dramas, Japanese films, and slow films should definitely watch this film if they haven't already! If you've already seen it check out Late Spring and An Autumn Afternoon which are equally incredible.

I Lived, But... directed by Kazuo Inoue - 8.5/10
This documentary on the life and works of Yasujiro Ozu is the best documentary about a filmmaker I've ever seen. The film reveals many details about Ozu's life, working methods, and films that I never knew about and has great interviews. The only sad thing is that the film introduced me to another master director Sadao Yamanaka who's filmography for the most part is lost, and to interesting Ozu silent films which are also lost! I wish I had a time machine to save all the great lost films!

Tokyo Story directed by Yasujiro Ozu - 10/10
This film has possibly dethroned Ozu's Late Spring to become my favorite feature film of all-time! I had high expectations for the film ever since I heard about it a year and a half ago and it has exceeded them! Ozu's ascetic visual style is here in all its glory with incredible characters and a minimalistic plot. The film is also possibly the saddest film I've ever seen. Based on what I heard about the story before I thought the film was going to be more moralistic than it actually was, the film is very objective in its portrayal of this postwar Japanese family. Even though this is my favorite film, I'm not sure if those unfamiliar to the slower Ozu style should start here, once I watch more Ozu films I'll find out which is the best introduction to his work. Anyone into family dramas, Japanese films, and slow films should definitely watch this film if they haven't already! If you've already seen it check out Late Spring and An Autumn Afternoon which are equally incredible.

Amazing film! The acting, story, and use of filming techniques to further push emotion and the development of characters is genius. A bit slow, but rewarding. One of the most underrated films I've seen. :)

Amazing film! The acting, story, and use of filming techniques to further push emotion and the development of characters is genius. A bit slow, but rewarding. One of the most underrated films I've seen. :)

Yes! Have you seen any of Ozu's other films? I would say within the world at large the film is underrated but it is really well-received in art film circles, for example it was ranked as the best film of all-time by film directors in the BFI magazine Sight & Sound which was well-deserved! It also won third place in the critics' ranking, I don't really like these lists because its impossible to rank films by quality but I do hope Tokyo Story dethrones Vertigo (and Citizen Kane).

I've seen There was a Father and one of his other films... I forgot the title. It's not the masterpiece that Tokyo Story is, but it's very well made and underrated.

I've been wanting to watch that film for a while now, as soon as I can I'll check it out. If you're interested in Ozu you should check out Late Spring, An Autumn Afternoon, Floating Weeds, and for a silent film check out I Was Born, But...

Back