movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Cool. Yeah I don't like using Netflix either but there's pretty much no DVD stores in the country I live in so I have to wait until I go to the USA to buy some. I don't even have a Netflix account anymore, I gotta get one again since Woody Allen looks like an interesting director.

Cool. Yeah I don't like using Netflix either but there's pretty much no DVD stores in the country I live in so I have to wait until I go to the USA to buy some. I don't even have a Netflix account anymore, I gotta get one again since Woody Allen looks like an interesting director.

:yes:

He's a great director. Very quirky and neurotic, but good.

Play It Again Sam is an absolutely fantasic early Woody Allen film... has moments of farce like a lot of his early films but also a strong nod to the sort of thing that he develops in his mid-career classics like Annie Hall & Manhattan.

Picnic At Hanging Rock - A strange little film about a group of schoolgirls who disappear without a trace. Straight into the re-watch pile, still unsure what I thought about it...something really quite unsettling about the whole thing. 7.5/10

Joining in with my love of Picnic At Hanging Rock. And while the name Zamfir usually gets a chuckle out of those of us from a certain generation, his score for that movie is ASTOUNDING.

The Wall 5/10

Although the soundtrack is amazing (duh) and the visuals are fantastic, I don't think it's a great film. I watched it a while ago, and didn't like it. I tried again today... and didn't like it. I have a feeling no one would praise this movie if you took Pink Floyd out of it.

The thing that bothered me most was the makers of the film trying to fit in the music. It seems as if they had a harm time cramming all of the songs in, got lazy, and just wrote sequences with visuals related to the plot.

One positive thing I can say is that the scene with the kid wearing his father's uniform was powerful. Chills.

A Streetcar Named Desire directed by Elia Kazan - 10/10
This film is just incredible in just about every way but especially the acting. Marlon Brando's brand of method acting is juxtaposed with Vivien Leigh's classical style to great effect. The script is very great and makes you think about the three main characters a lot. I don't like it as much as On The Waterfront but this is still one of my favorite films of all-time.

Dredd. Hey, you guys are right. It's pretty good. B+

Devil. Not so bad. If memory serves, I think this is largely a retread of
Ghost Ship
. C

My Dinner with Andre. Pretty good. Well, I wasn't sure I'd be able to sit through it all. But I stuck with it, and it did pick up for me after a while, enough to encourage me to finish it. I know it might have been an impossible challenge for any actor, but I'm sorry to say that Andre Gregory's performance did mostly feel like he was reciting from a script. But this material really did require as naturalistic of a performance as possible, if ever a film needed one. But hey, I don't wish to knock him. He and his performance still have appeal. And then there's the elephant in the room. I suppose it's the difference in the times (?), but if I were Andre's friend, Wally, I'd have been like, Andre, have you seen anyone?...I'm sorry, I'm no doctor, but what you describe sounds quite a bit like the symptoms of schizophrenia or something, doesn't it? Then it would become a discussion or a story about mental illness, I suppose. I did rather like how it ended, quietly, thoughtfully. B (but an A for daring to break the mainstream mold)

Apollo 18. 'Sokay. Great premise. The shaky cam (though it's not really shaky cam, but still like sitting through shaky cam) is not so great. So where do they go with this promising premise?
Space spiders
. Really? You kind of gotta think that when they made the decision to go with
space spiders
, they made the decision to embrace the ho-hum. C

Greenberg. I've wanted to see this since it came out. Fairly good. Reminds me a lot of Silver Linings Playbook, or vice versa. B

Last edited:
Roger and Me
I watched this across three sittings, but I thought it was a fun look at a depressing subject. Well done, 4/5

Dredd. Hey, you guys are right. It's pretty good. B+

I hated that film so much it was turned off after like 10 minutes :lol:
Probably would have raised my blood pressure to watch the whole thing

Ha great minds!!
Funny, I didn't even see that you had posted that! Yeah, screw the iceman.

I watched a bunch of short films today, and found at least one gem.

Sons directed by Royston Tan - 6/10
This short film directed by popular Singaporean filmmaker Royston Tan put him on the map. The film has genuine sentiment to it but is marred by its overly sentimental music, over-emphasis on voice-over (although some of the monologue is really nice), and IMO the images could've been stronger. A simple film, not bad but not great either.

15 directed by Royston Tan - 7.5/10
This film is just crazy, stylistically it is very unique and funny. The main issue with the film for me is that it has these great images and crazy characters that I want to get to know more but it doesn't. I understand that a feature film was made as well, I'm going to have to check it out.

D.I.Y. directed by Royston Tan - 7.5/10
This experimental short film is a lot of fun to watch. It is just basically a bunch of people doing ordinary tasks but the sounds they make turn into great rhythmic music. The cinematography is great in this film as well.

Monkeylove directed by Royston Tan - 6/10
Kind of like Sons, I feel a genuine sentiment behind this film but it just doesn't resonate with me all that much. The acting is pretty good, but the film doesn't really engage me all that much. There is one shot near the end that I really like though.

Chang Juan directed by Claudine Natkin - 6.5/10
This short film seems to be about a man who watches a woman who lives across the street and her lover. As the film goes on we find out why he's watching them, and it leads to some unfortunate events. I like the film's atmosphere and its textured images (the girl he stalks is really pretty too) but the film doesn't have much else going for it. I'm glad I saw it, but I doubt I'll watch it again.

New Jersey Gradual directed by Gregg Biermann - 6.5/10
This avant-garde film caught my interest because I'm from New Jersey. The film is made up of a single dolly shot of a parking lot cut together showing multiple images at once. The film plays around with the cinematic space and creates strange imagery that is sometimes mesmerizing but other times disorienting. The film is pretty good, but I feel its a bit overly long and not as interesting as other Avant-Garde films I've seen. Overall, a good effort but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not a fan of film for purely the visual experience.

Yeah, screw the iceman.

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

Have you seen interviews of the guy in real life? :scared: :seeya:

Devil-Inside-The-poster.jpg

The Killer Inside Me: B

I liked this movie quite a bit, but
the implausibility and very poorly done fire effects of the ending scene
lower the score considerably. It was also a little too obvious that
Jessica Alba was alive the whole time, so the big reveal isn't really all that great

The Grandmaster: B+

It's a Wong Kar Wai film with a little kung fu peppered in there. Lavishly designed and beautifully photographed, but swings between bio-pic/mokumentary and narrative a little too haphazardly to give it a solid A. I liked it, but I like Wong Kar Wai - so if you're not into long takes of people contemplating their own sadness, maybe not for you. ;)

Back