movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Tall Man - Pascal Laugiers follow up to the brilliant Martyrs...similar in how he manipulates the narrative brilliantly but otherwise totally different. Not a horror. Maybe the ending was a bit trite but really enjoyed it. 8/10

The Baytown Outlaws

"After her ex-husband Carlos shoots Celeste three times in the gut, it's time to play dirty. In the fight for her godson, Rob, she hires three outlawed and redneck brothers to bring him back to her. But nothing can be that simple in the South. What begins as a small rescue mission rises to a southern battle royal. This odd team must shoot their way through gorgeous female assassins, Native American hunters, Federal agents, and a whole lot of metal coming after them, while protecting Celeste's innocent child."

9.5/10

This got horrible ratings pretty much everywhere (19% on Rotten Tomatoes and 33% on Metacritic), but I loved it. Maybe it's just the hot southern guys with tattoos and guns that got me...either way, I definitely recommend it.

MIAMI CONNECTION (1987)

"A martial arts rock band goes up against a band of motorcycle ninjas who have tightened their grip on Florida's narcotics trade."

I mean how could you NOT see this?

It's on Netflix streaming. The best, worst movie I've seen in a long time. A ton of fun. One of those movies that are so bad that you can't help but love it. This is unintentional parody of the 80s that not even Will Farrell could pull off.

If you had fun watching SHARKNADO, you'll love this one.

Last edited:
Bloody Sunday. Recommend. A. I might have thought that a political film like this might be difficult and even painful to sit through. But Bloody Sunday is a good example of excellent pacing. Sure, the filmmakers wanted to tell the tale of this tragic event, but they also didn't lose sight of the need to entertain. It grabbed hold of me and didn't let go until the end. This is compelling cinema.

By comparison, I tried picking The Wind that Shakes the Barley up from where I had left it, and, I'm sure I'm gonna keep trying, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it. Exposition explaining the competing positions of the contending players is probably necessary in films like this so that audience members, such as myself, who aren't very familiar with the history or the politics involved can follow along with at least a modicum of comprehension. But compared to Bloody Sunday's exposition, which is quite effecient and terse, TWTSTB's is at times, well, rather painfully clunky and obvious. Oh well, maybe there was really no choice when they felt the need to convey x, y, and z to the audience. Maybe when, or if, I finish it, I'll like it more.

Anyway, big thumbs up for Bloody Sunday.

Bloody Sunday. Recommend. A. I might have thought that a political film like this might be difficult and even painful to sit through. But Bloody Sunday is a good example of excellent pacing. Sure, the filmmakers wanted to tell the tale of this tragic event, but they also didn't lose sight of the need to entertain. It grabbed hold of me and didn't let go until the end. This is compelling cinema.

By comparison, I tried picking The Wind that Shakes the Barley up from where I had left it, and, I'm sure I'm gonna keep trying, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it. Exposition explaining the competing positions of the contending players is probably necessary in films like this so that audience members, such as myself, who aren't very familiar with the history or the politics involved can follow along with at least a modicum of comprehension. But compared to Bloody Sunday's exposition, which is quite effecient and terse, TWTSTB's is at times, well, rather painfully clunky and obvious. Oh well, maybe there was really no choice when they felt the need to convey x, y, and z to the audience. Maybe when, or if, I finish it, I'll like it more.

Anyway, big thumbs up for Bloody Sunday.

Phenomenal Greengrass film. I saw it recently as well.

THE CONJURING 10/10

One of the best horror films I've seen. I came out of the theater an hour ago, and I can honestly say I was freaked out. One guy had to leave when
The witch jumped down onto the little girl from the dresser
. One lady wet herself when
The old lady showed up in the cellar

Last edited:
Every movie I've seen this year:

Man of Steel A
Star Trek Into Darkness A
Pacific Rim A-
This is the End A-
Iron Man 3 B+
Monsters University B+
World War Z B+
Mud B+
White House Down B
Despicable Me 2 B
Warm Bodies B
Dark Skies B
The Croods B
After Earth B
Fast & Furious 6 B
Side Effects B-
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone B-
Evil Dead B-
42 B-
The Way, Way Back B-
Spring Breakers C+
Turbo C+
Kings of Summer C+
The Purge C+
Much Ado About Nothing C+
Oblivion C+
Dead Man Down C
Snitch C
The Call C
The Heat C
Now You See Me C
Epic C
Beautiful Creatures C-
G.I. Joe: Retaliation C-
The Lone Ranger C-
The Internship C-
Jack the Giant Slayer C-
Pain & Gain D+
Oz The Great and Powerful D+
Olympus Has Fallen D+
The Last Stand D
Identity Thief D
A Good Day to Die Hard D-
Hangover 3 D-

United 93. Oh man. A.

After seeing Bloody Sunday I had to look up Paul Greengrass's filmography. When I saw he had directed United 93 too, it was time to stop putting it off and to see it finally. Paul Greengrass and his team go from filmmakers that I was sort of vaguely aware of to some of my favorites. They really know what they're doing with that style that they use. And how did he write this? I was thinking to myself as I watched it, there is no way could write such a thing...not without something like hiring consultants intimately familiar with how the airline industry and airforce operate on a day to day basis as well as in emergancy situations, specifically on 911. Anyway, I vote for Paul Greengrass.

Last edited:
Broadway Danny Rose 4/10

I love Woody Allen's films, and I really want to see Blue Jasmine, but BDR is just so.... no. It's a good film, but it is incredibly dated, slow, and uninteresting. Lots of Jewish humor I did not get as well. :huh:

I really liked Broadway Danny Rose. Interesting the way he bookends it with those guys sitting around the diner talking.

Last film I saw was 'Hook'. The haters are wrong. It is awesome.

Back