movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Jurassic World
6/10

I mean come on man. Really? This movie was like watching a kid who has enjoyed watching the previous Jurassic Park movies create a story using Jurassic Park toys from his bedroom. I enjoyed the action but the characters seemed like they were stuck in a CW TV series.

Shout out to Vincent D'Onofrio for doing a great performance. I think I needed a DQ blizzard while watching this movie.

Double feature day.

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017)
Aliens. All you need to know.
6/10

First Reformed (2018)
4/10

Dang it. I'm always surprised how critics can't discern what is real and what is not when it comes to film representing a church environment. My intelligence has been assaulted. Go ahead and read my spoiler review. It might warn you from being spoiled later on.

Welp. Is that a word? There are a number of problems I see in this movie. First, the overall story has no stable characters. It's like watching people go downhill in a society where no hope is found. Cliche hollywood drama at this point. The tone of this movie is very much in the same fabric of Foxcather (2014). This movie also seems influenced by Night of the Hunter (1955) with it's portrait of the main character. The story is about a pastor (who isn't sure of himself) who is influence by global warming after a man kills himself because of his fear of the future. If this movie wanted to use "global warming" as a fear it needed to show the local impact of global warming. Not just dreams and "Scientists say this is going to happen..." This movie is set in a local town. Local church. Local people. Take Shelter (2011) had a better showcase of fear of weather and the future. That movie showed dread in a more personal way. Why did the pastor do the funeral service that was totally against his faith? I guess the pastor would rather do what a man who committed suicide wanted then look to God in a tragic situation. The kids singing about the earth was too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Was that the comedy in the movie? It doesn't land like the dark comedy found in Manchester By the Sea (2016). Also, I cannot believe the ending of this movie. When it cut to black I actually thought the movie theater was shutting down. It didn't make any sense to the story. The end scene made no sense. The door was locked so how did she get in? Was he dreaming? Why do movies like this have to dabble so much into the psychological state of a character to the point where the audience isn't even sure what is going on. I can't figure something out if it's just left up to whatever interpretation suits my own imagination. If that's the case then the entire movie is missing a lot because my imagination is going in a different direction. Is this movie about something? Because it seems like the filmmakers tried to make a deep story by only examining the surface.

P.S. The things I liked was the camera work and the editing.

Last edited:
Entuziazm (1931) by Dziga Vertov. An avant garde experimental political documentary in high contrast black and white, a rapid succession of fast-cutting almost hallucinogenic sequences, heavily influenced by expressionism and surrealism. One of the first sound films. If you have never seen this one, I can highly recommend it.

"Inside Llewyn Davis"

6/10 for the acting.

It was well acted. A character portrait. Frustrating at times as you begin to feel a bit for Llewyn but it never comes to fruition. He couldn't even give up successfully.

Solo 4/5

What a great movie.
Ron Howard is an awesome director and I went into this film with high expectations that were met 100%

Thats so cool, it doesn't happen very often where a movie is exactly as great as it should be.
And all of the stuff that you know will happen (e.g. han is going to wind up owning the millennium falcon) is still kept fresh! the scenes dont play out how you would expect them to, its a very nice touch.

ms stormborn from GoT and maeve from west world both have prominent roles and theres room for a sequel if the box office permits it... doesnt look likely but who knows, if this is a smash hit on blu ray then it will do great for a sequel.

Solo was a great movie. It only failed at the box office because that's what happens when you release a film on Memorial Day weekend. DISNEY!!

they didn't want to advertise solo while the last jedi was still bringing in money at the box office.
they really screwed over the marketing campaign and youre right it should've been pushed back a couple months

Glad to hear it was good. I'm not a SW fan but you mention the timing etc. I will also mention the trailer SUCKED! Whenever there's some cheesy jokes in a trailer or humor that fails, to me, I figure... it's a trailer so they are giving us the best! So glad to hear the movie was better. :)

The Strangers: Prey at Night [Unrated] (2018) - 6.5/10

In my humble opinion, the movie is a solid sequel, but did not fully satisfy the expectations I had established based on the original movie, The Strangers (2008). Overall, the production effort is strong, but the story line is fairly predictable. With that said, the movie is a worthy one-time rental, especially for fans of Horror/Thriller movies, but future replay value is low.

Last edited:
Lost River

6/10

Pretty decent directorial debut for Gosling. The canvas he used of location, style, etc. was pretty good.

Story was ok. Not terrible but not completely enthralling. Very much an "auteur" type film which makes sense since he wrote and directed it. Acting was good and he had professional actors in the lead roles. The cameos by non professional locals really added a natural flavor to it.

carriers - not rating it that high really, it was watchable but the story wasnt great

it felt like a lot of nothing happened and your left wondering about all the loose ends (like what happened to bobby or the dad and girl, who where the masked people and how did their friend die, what happened at the makeshift hospital, why did truckers hunt down and kill that random man etc...) it feels like they either get there after everything already happened or leave without finding out what will happen

non of the charcaters are particularly likeble, the more interesting 3 are the 3 whose stories never get an ending

plus there seems to be a preface missing because at the end its talking about how the survivers are strangers but they did this whole journey together so its hardly like they are still strangers - it also never really goes into detail about how they found this 'stranger' and had them join the group anyway and started with her already intergrated in the group so to the audience she just a member of the group

it felt more like it should have been a meandering 'walking dead' style tv series where they could expand on the different characters/stories rather than a film

Re-watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. 10/10

Why is this film so underrated? 51% Tomatometer? Dumb. Makes me question the validity of Rotten Tomatoes as well as my fellow man.

This is what movie magic is.

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four. 9/10
Interesting. Along the lines of Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau or Lost in La Mancha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgyLDrGgow

De Palma. 10/10
A must see, I think. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XoMjwoZ5w

Last edited:
Backcountry - rating quite low maybe 3/10

the camera work killed me, at first I though it looked cinematic and nicely coloured but the DOP was trying way too hard to be arty, half the shots arent in focus which is not only annoying but confusing (no one needs to see a leaf we want to see the characters) and the use of a steady cam even for shots that should be stationary was annoying... over all I feel motion sick and my eyes/head hurt by the end

as for the story, the characters where stupid and unlikeble, I actually WANTED the bear to kill her and by the end was disappointed that some how she bumbled her way to survival... it doesnt represent the REAL LIFE story at all

the bear was ok and looked cool, im glad they didnt use wolves (I know dogs are easy to train but im sick of the killer wolf trope now) but the bear suddenly attacking for no logical reason after not harming them for days makes makes no sense, it felt like 'crap its the last 10 minutes lets throw in a bear attack'

without the bad camera work it would be a ok but mediocre film mainly just due to character stupidity and unlikebleness but the camera work made it almost unwatchable

Jurassic World 3/5

Paint by numbers jurassic park movie.. idk if its bc there have been so many of the series or what but this one was extremely predictable for me. I was able to call the outcome of pretty much every tense scene in the film. Oh the t-rex will appear in a few secs. yup there it is. Oh raptor is about to come. yup there he is right on schedule.

and uhh.. unfortnately there was no dinosaurs in the real world stuff.. like at all. very misleading.
In one of hte older movies there was a t-rex by someones pool, i was expecting something like that but no. the dinos were contained all film

Nightcrawler

I really enjoyed this film the second time around. I enjoyed it the first time too but damn this film is good. Really great character driven writing that's well paced.

Back