• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's the best free video editing program? One that can export the video.

I've downloaded all sorts of programs, all the free ones just suck, you can't cut the scenes, and all the good ones you need to download the pro version in order to export the project into a video, it's really annoying. Is there a good free one that actually works that lets you export it to a video? Thanks.

I tried to use resolve on my new desktop and it crashed on me :(
I need to devote a day to figuring it out, theoretically i should be able to run it on my gpu

I second the suggestion I just haven't had any luck yet myself

I tried to use resolve on my new desktop and it crashed on me :(
I need to devote a day to figuring it out, theoretically i should be able to run it on my gpu

I second the suggestion I just haven't had any luck yet myself

Hmmmm.... I have to witness any crashes jet, but I notice that he becomes slow when I'm in the coller tab. Think that exra Ram and video-card will be a good investment next. Premiere on the other hand has sometimes problems when I use big block of warp stabilization.

I use Blender VSE. Yes, rendering times are slow, and yes, it has a steep learning curve. But the first issue can be resolved easily by using a freely available plug in, and the second by taking some time to watch one of many great tutorials on YouTube (check out Mikeycal Meyers and Cerbyo). Just try it. It's free, multi-platform, and simply great.

blender_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
I use Blender VSE. Yes, rendering times are slow, and yes, it has a steep learning curve. But the first issue can be resolved easily by using a freely available plug in, and the second by taking some time to watch one of many great tutorials on YouTube (check out Mikeycal Meyers and Cerbyo). Just try it. It's free, multi-platform, and simply great.

blender_screenshot.jpg

You really use Blender for editing?

I love it, and use it a lot for motion graphics and VFX... but I think I'd probably die of a combined stroke/migraine if I tried to use it for editing. It seems like it'd be overkill.

I have one friend that used to use After Effects as his primary editor. But that's beside the point. In terms of best, it's whatever can accomplish your needs.

I've downloaded all sorts of programs, all the free ones just suck, you can't cut the scenes, and all the good ones you need to download the pro version in order to export the project into a video, it's really annoying. Is there a good free one that actually works that lets you export it to a video? Thanks.

Just curious: "all the free ones just suck" - which ones did you try?

I've been getting to grips with Avid Media Composer First lately. It's a bit of a learning curve but works ok on my audio computer.

For me, being limited to only four video tracks, six audio tracks and up to five bins, and not being able to output 4K, is a downright showstopper. It could work for YouTube vloggers but not if you're into serious filmmaking.

For me, being limited to only four video tracks, six audio tracks and up to five bins, and not being able to output 4K, is a downright showstopper. It could work for YouTube vloggers but not if you're into serious filmmaking.

If you're into making films seriously you wouldn't be using a free piece of software.... ;)

I guess you're right when it comes to big movie productions where the stakes are high and a lot of money goes around. Sure, they will stay in the comfort zone of their proprietary editing suites. Why wouldn't they?

But this is not 1998 anymore, it's 2018, and many independent filmmakers on a tight budget have long found their way into the world of widely available free / open source tools that have matured over time, and become serious alternatives to commercial software.

Last edited:
I guess you're right when it comes to big movie productions where the stakes are high and a lot of money goes around. Sure, they will stay in the comfort zone of their proprietary editing suites. Why wouldn't they?

But this is not 1998 anymore, it's 2018, and many independent filmmakers on a tight budget have long found their way into the world of widely available free / open source tools that have matured over time, and become serious alternatives to commercial software.

I use Blender's VSE as well. I'm very interested to know what that plug-in is that you were referring to if you don't mind. Also, the VSE doesn't have real-time view on the render preview. Do you usually have a workaround for that or does it not bother you? I'm thinking of switching to Shotcut for editing because of that reason.

Shotcut is actually pretty good. Reminds me of a more advanced windows movie maker. Maybe the OP can look into that. It's free and open source.

Would like to add that Blender wasn't free. SOMEONE paid for it. I'm referring to the $180,000 cost to open source it (I think that was the price). Not to mention how it's been in the google summer of code for a while. It's free for us now. But because of what it went through it literally is right up there with commercial packages and has professional features that rivals other similar software.

When someone says don't bother with free software if you want professional results, or that you should invest I usually agree. But Blender is the exception.

Pretty sure people understand, free to the consumer, doesn't mean there was zero cost to develop. Android is um free. Word Press. All open source too.

Back