What's a good external video monitor?

One that is the cheapest, but good, to plug into my T2i, for getting tight shots, where I wouldn't be able to view the camera's viewscreen. I went to the electronics store, but they make everything sound good, and don't know which is really, and what not. Thanks.

Shop eBay.

Just run a search for 7" LCD tv. I found a no namer for $70 delivered. It's served me well for two years now. And when does eventually take a dump, I'll just get another. They're cheap...

That's a good piece of equipment advice! I'm glad I saw this. Can I do the same for my video camera? What cables would I need?

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
If it's just for framing you can get an SD monitor for pretty cheap. If you're using it for focus make sure to get HD, but those are more expensive.

Good point about SD because a T2i will only output SD while recording. I went through this myself at on time and it ended up being a waste of time and money for that camera. Just my experience.

You'd find much more bang for your buck with a Z-finder.

The key word I saw from the OP was "cheap." I agree, a Z-finder is better suited to the task, but it's gonna run you $400.

A 7" SD monitor will work fine for getting shots into focus. I learned the hard way that it's certainly better than using the 3" built into the camera. Is it as good as HD? No. But when you're poor like me, a $70 LCD is a more viable option than a Z-finder.

Spinner, it depends on your camera. I have a JVC GZ HD7 that has a regular A/V out, a component out, S-video out, and HDMI outs so I can hook it up to just about any tv or monitor. Look up what your camera has and buy the requisite cable.

The key word I saw from the OP was "cheap." I agree, a Z-finder is better suited to the task, but it's gonna run you $400.

A 7" SD monitor will work fine for getting shots into focus. I learned the hard way that it's certainly better than using the 3" built into the camera. Is it as good as HD? No. But when you're poor like me, a $70 LCD is a more viable option than a Z-finder.

Spinner, it depends on your camera. I have a JVC GZ HD7 that has a regular A/V out, a component out, S-video out, and HDMI outs so I can hook it up to just about any tv or monitor. Look up what your camera has and buy the requisite cable.

True, but what are you going to use a monitor for? A quick reference for critical focus is what most will say, I believe. framing is doable only with a sillourtte of the image like in bright sunlight. Going cheap doesn't equate to solving the problem.

Since a T2i only outputs in SD while recording anyway, you still need the peaking on the camera LCD and need to be able to see it in all conditions to focus, hence the Z-finder (or knock-off) suggestion. That's just how it is.

You'd find much more bang for your buck with a Z-finder.

Harmonica did say he wanted it for tight shots where he couldn't see the camera's screen… though I agree that a loupe of some sort is often more useful than a monitor if you can't get an HD signal while recording.

Well for example I have to do some shooting soon in a tight room, where I won't be able to see the view screen, from the position I have to point the camera. A monitor attached to the camera with a wire, that I could just put somewhere behind me and look would be good. And during chase scenes, that involve me running, I would like to possibly hook the monitor on top of the camera, if that's possible. I think it was talked about on here before by someone, or something like that. Shots where I would be holding the camera sideways while running, but could use the screen pointed at me.

Okay thanks. I don't necessarily need HD, but I would like to see if there's grain. On the camera's viewscreen, it does not show grain, so I can't tell if the shot will have grain on it, till later when I view it on a bigger screen. I would like a monitor that will show all the grain so I know what if I have any to deal with. That and I just need one that plugs in so I can view it while away from the camera in certain shots.

Harmonica did say he wanted it for tight shots where he couldn't see the camera's screen… though I agree that a loupe of some sort is often more useful than a monitor if you can't get an HD signal while recording.

I missed that, sorry.

In that case, he could use a mirror if it's really tight. If people are moving around in the shot he's going to have focus problems using a cheap SD monitor.

I'm a T2i owner myself and there are just some things that camera can't do. ;)

The drop to SD can be fixed, at a price. SmallHD monitors "upscale" the image on Canon cameras to a faux HD that looks great and fills the screen on their 5.6" monitor. It also has focus assist, false color, and a bunch of other features.

It also costs $1000

The drop to SD can be fixed, at a price. SmallHD monitors "upscale" the image on Canon cameras to a faux HD that looks great and fills the screen on their 5.6" monitor. It also has focus assist, false color, and a bunch of other features.

It also costs $1000

Now, that would work, but way out of budget from what I understand. I think the OP is realizing his camera limitations which happens to everybody eventually if you shoot enough. :)

Yeah just throwing it out for info purposes. I know it's out of budget.

I have one I use with my 5D, but it's a little easier to justify a $1K monitor for your $2.5K (at the time I bought it) camera than your $799 dollar camera. False color in general is the bomb. I don't know what I'd do without it now, well yes I do, run all over the set checking different areas with the light meter like they did for 80 years.

Yeah just throwing it out for info purposes. I know it's out of budget.

I have one I use with my 5D, but it's a little easier to justify a $1K monitor for your $2.5K (at the time I bought it) camera than your $799 dollar camera. False color in general is the bomb. I don't know what I'd do without it now, well yes I do, run all over the set checking different areas with the light meter like they did for 80 years.

Haha! I bought a light meter and still haven't learned to use it. Not exactly straight forward.

You'd take the meter get the exposure for the talent, get the exposure for the highlights, and get the exposure for the shadows. Then you know how many stops above the talent (key) the highlights are and how many stops below key the shadows are. If you are a real DP (which I am not) you could take this info and adjust the camera and the lighting so that the talent is exposed perfectly, the highlights aren't blown out, and the shadows aren't crushed.

With "False Color" the colors all change so (on my monitor) perfectly exposed is orange, clipped lowlight is blue and blown out highlight is yellow, with gradients of colors between those (green is slightly over for example). You're doing basically the same thing (seeing the exposure levels of everything in the shot) in a more efficient (if maybe not as accurate) way.

TV Logic 5.6" W/HDMI to HD-SDI Conversion... I don't leave home without it.

It's by far the best little monitor out there. Just $1500 haha. $1350 if you find the group buy, but a battery bracket and two batteries puts it back to $1500.

Harmonica- a cheap monitor to help pull focus is fine for just that, be aware that it won't be color adjusted (or adjustable though). You'll need to set the shot white balance, aperture and ISO to the built in monitor (which on the one t2i someone brought as a B camera to one of our shoots was way pink compared to all the same settings on a 7D, which monitored much more accurately).

Back