Whats a good camera?

I am 17 and I want to start making my own independent films, Experimental movies and documentary's.

Now I do have SOME experience when it comes to shooting with big cameras. But I have always liked the whole look of an 80's and 90's amateur video camera (I own two Vhs cameras and one hi8 camera). The problem is its impossible to edit using vhs tapes these days and I would like to get into the new HD world of video. Even though I really love VHS, hi8 and other old forms of video.

My price range is around 2000 something and I would like to perhaps have HD but that is not something that is a MUST. Also I don't want a handy cam or camcorder I'm looking to get into pro recording so it would be nice to have a pro look to the video camera along with pro the camera producing pro looking video. And any good sites besides ebay or B&H? some times I'm skeptical about getting stuff from these guys.

BTW heres a list I was looking at. Any good?

Sony DCR-Vx2000
Sony DCR-Vx2100
Canon Gl1
Canon Gl2
Canon xl1
Canon xl2
JVC GY-HM100U
Canon XH-A1s
Panasonic AG-YUSC60H
Panasonic AG-DVX100B
Panasonic AG-HMC150
Panasonic AG-DVC20
Panasonic AG-HMC70

You can get digital converter which will allow you to replay your VHS footage into the computer (like if you played it to a TV, but it is converted to digital as you do). Now a days they are pretty inexpensive, just a thought.

I'm using a HDSLR so I can't help you with your selection, but perhaps you should list what features you think are most important to you, thus helping people on the forum gauge their advice to your needs.

As Graeme said, you need to work out what you need from your camera. What's most important to you? If you've been used to professional cameras it's likely you'll want one with fully manual, professional controls - but you might have to forgo HD to get something like that in your price range. Even fairly budget modern HD cameras are going to produce pictures many many time better than one that records to VHS.

I use the Panasonic AG-DVX 100b and I love it. It's not HD though. I chose it because of the beautiful trailer to 'Iraq in Fragments' (on youtube). I've never used any other camera though so I can't really compare it to anything else.

I spent 2 months researching different cameras back in 07. I read a ton of geekhead reviews and saw a million gamma charts and comparison tables. After getting several migraines I just decided to look for a film that had visuals I liked, and get that camera. This is a much better way to research as you see the end product. Look around 'til you see a prosumer-shot movie with cinematography you fall in love with. Of course they'll have done a lot of work to the raw image in post but it still helps decide.

Steve Buscemi uses them a lot too. The thing that sold me were the colours... I have no idea if those other Panasonics are better or worse, and I know Sony makes great stuff so whatever you get will make some great art.

Having said all that, the next camera I get will definitely be HD.

Last edited:
Don't know why you'd discount B&H, they are pretty much THE source for pro gear.

DVX100b would be a good choice in that price range... You MIGHT be able to get into a used HVX200 in that ballpark pretty soon as people (who I cannot understand at all) move to DSLRs. XL2s are in that price range used now as well.

I'm just going to repeat with the others have said.
Sometimes a second opinion is the same as the first.
Now I do have SOME experience when it comes to shooting with big cameras. But I have always liked the whole look of an 80's and 90's amateur video camera (I own two Vhs cameras and one hi8 camera). The problem is its impossible to edit using vhs tapes these days and I would like to get into the new HD world of video. Even though I really love VHS, hi8 and other old forms of video.
As Graeme said, you can convert VHS and Hi-8 to digital
files to edit. If that's the look you like, you should look
into a converter and continue to use the cameras you
like.

And any good sites besides ebay or B&H? some times I'm skeptical about getting stuff from these guys.
As Gonzo said, B&H is the gold standard of on line sellers.
There are other reputable on line sellers, but if you're
skeptical about B&H maybe it's best that you buy at a local
place and not on line.

Of your list (which has all fine cameras) my personal choice
was the JVC HM100. I own it, it's n excellent camera. I'm
not a fan of Canon cameras but many people are and I've
used - and liked - the GL2 and the XH-A1. Both are fine
cameras. Any of the Panasonic cameras you list are terrific
cameras. Are aware that one of the models you mention is
actual a camera bag and not a camera?

The differences between those models are very minor. I lean
towards shoulder mounted cameras because I shoot a lot of
hand held to the AG-DVC20 is a fav of mine, but you can't go
wrong with the DVX.

I've never used the Sony's you list. But I do own a PD-170. The
camera David Lynch used to shoot "Inland Empire"

I like B&H because they keep Shabbat EVEN for their online store! It wasn't until this last Passover that I noticed the pattern of the "ordering unavailable at this time".. (Im not Jewish, but I respect people who keep their standards to such a degree) To me this is a sign of internal integrity and they get my business when ever I can (which aint much, but hey!)

I like B&H because they keep Shabbat EVEN for their online store! It wasn't until this last Passover that I noticed the pattern of the "ordering unavailable at this time".. (Im not Jewish, but I respect people who keep their standards to such a degree) To me this is a sign of internal integrity and they get my business when ever I can (which aint much, but hey!)

I never made that connection... not jewish either, BUT like you I respect anybody who lives their principles/beliefs.

For the last two, three years, Iv been working closely (my day job) with a lot of Israelis
Iv been able to travel there (on my employers dime) four, five times, so I notice these kinds of things now days :)

I'm going through similar (started another thread, didn't want to derail this one), but I guess having worked with my one camera, I have an idea of what I want in the next one. Picking the first one is hard.

I admit I was looking up and down the pike, wondering what to get. I know for my first, I went by advice that a friend (and others have since said on these forums) said:

3 CCD or CMOS
Manual Focus
Optical Zoom
External Mic input.

For your first camera, the rest is details. Ended up with the Canon 930. However, your needs may be different then mine(as well as your budget by the sounds of it). As I was reminded today-the camera is a tool, it's what you do with it that makes the difference. I've said in other threads- I've seen short films done on my type of camera that were great with lighting and sound and editing. I've also seen stuff that the guy thought was great because he shot it on a pro model camera, and it was garbage because he had no inkling about how a film is actually made.

But I understand too, if you want to be freelancing for prod. studios, you want a good camera. I wish I had the budget you have.....you kids these days......(insert fogie attitude here):lol:;)

Let us know what you decide, and good luck with your career!

Back