What's a good camera with a good autofocus?

I want a camera that is good for autofocus, as I would like to shoot without a focus puller, especially if someone else is shooting and I am doing sound or another duty.

I would like one that has interchangeable lenses that would give me more options. I checked out some DSLRs are at the store, but the autofocus's were too slow on those, and couldn't keep up. My two friends have cameras that have great autofocus, and they said they never had a problem once while making their projects. The only problem is, is that the lenses are built on. Any DSLRs are cameras, with good autofocus, where I can change lenses?

Thanks.

When-people-wont-stop-talking-during-a-movie.gif

Wait, so you already have a camera, and you have two friends willing to lend you cameras, but you're considering buying/renting another one???

In the last thread you started you asked about auto-focus, and got this response from Photon:

...you don't need a focus puller on a no money amateur shoot. Whoever operates the camera can also pull focus.

You said the girl doing the shooting couldn't be taught/wouldn't take the time to learn how to use the focus. (Why don't you sling some of the money you're about to splurge on a camera her way and see if she'll learn).

You said she couldn't pull focus because she'd be using the steadicam to which Photon (again) replied:

Deep focus

and also

no point in planning Steadicam shots if you don't have someone competent enough to execute them properly. It's a needless complication and the shots will likely end up looking like basic handheld.

You also received this advice from various members:

H44 - This follows a basic dictum for micro/no budget filmmakers; K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

The only thing you need is yourself and the will to succeed at all cost.

Forget the masseuse, chef, focus puller, MUA, stuntteam, chopper pilot, DP, coffee maker, cookie baker, etc. Keep it simple!

Make use of what you've got

DO SOMETHING H44!!!

Do you take any notice of these comments or just read the ones you want to read? It seems like all you do is find ways to make life more difficult for yourself.

You don't need a new camera, you need a new mindset.

I want a camera that is good for autofocus, as I would like to shoot without a focus puller, especially if someone else is shooting and I am doing sound or another duty.

I would like one that has interchangeable lenses that would give me more options. I checked out some DSLRs are at the store, but the autofocus's were too slow on those, and couldn't keep up. My two friends have cameras that have great autofocus, and they said they never had a problem once while making their projects. The only problem is, is that the lenses are built on. Any DSLRs are cameras, with good autofocus, where I can change lenses?

Thanks.

To answer your question, the interchangeable lens camera with the fastest autofocus is the $1241CDN Canon 70D (ultra-fast autofocus, no headphone jack, no 1080/60p, no viewfinder in video (live view) mode.

Second fastest is the $1099CDN Panasonic GH3 (fast autofocus, has a headphone jack, 1080/60p, and a viewfinder that actually works for video)

Here is a side-by-side of their autofocus performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e9yx7pjm9E

I would get the GH3. It is the closest thing out there to an interchangeable lens camcorder for the price.

Good luck!

Bill

Last edited:
You might want to investigate Discovery Kids Digital Photo and Video Camera and the Memorex Spongebob Camcorder:

http://kids.discovery.com/shop/tech/digital-photo-and-video-camera
Digital-Photo-Video-Camera-275.jpg

http://tempcart.com/dealview.aspx?x...DBD2301C4890&gclid=CMOy3JiMhbsCFc07OgoduhAA8A
P12283547.jpg

The Discovery Kids Digital Photo and Video Camera may have better ergonomics for you.
But the Memorex Spongebob Camcorder has a 1.5" flip-out color LCD display and 4x digital zoom.

However, both have good autofocus capabilities, the cornerstone of indie filmmaking.

GL!

Have you installed magic lantern on your camera? It's free, and focus peaking makes everything easy.

Alternatively: buy an external monitor with even better focus peaking.

Alternatively: Black Magic pocket Cinema camera ($1000), an EF-MFT adapter ($20) and a Rokinon 14mm lens ($300-450). I've used this exact combo, and because the sensor is small and the lens is so wide, EVERYTHING is in focus. The focus is so deep it hurts. And in case you aren't sure, there's a big "focus" button in back that turns on focus peaking and highlights everything in focus with a green line.

Man some of the posts above had me laughing out loud.

H44, what the hell are you doing? Are you trying to drive us crazy? I guess so.

Remember that thread you started where we all talked about focus and doing tests at higher apertures (eg f7.1, f9, f11) to see how much you could actually walk in frame and around it without going out of focus? You even uploaded a few video test shots.

Various links were provided...

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/hyperfocal-distance.htm

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/photography-tips-using-lower-aperture.html#b

And you've asked similar things in lots of other threads, and received great advice (as usual).

Why do you then decide to ignore all that advice (in multiple threads) and ask a crazy question like this...

I'm out of this thread, not going to waste more of my time...

Oh, come on... It's sometimes amusing, and it's nice to have a resident punching bag.

but seriously, question after question after question about nothing useful that someone couldn't already know looking at google.

it just seems hes here to boost the google rankings, im pretty sure of it, all these questions are something that a proper newbie would ask, either he has amnesia, has no common sense or is just plain ol....

in 2 years time he will be asking for a advice on how to consume oxygen at an appropriate level so that he can function as a human being holding a camera.

Back