What projector would you buy?.

Im actually thinking of buying a projector to enhance my BluRay experience. What projector would you guys buy and why?.
:yes:

Whatever you do, don't get an Optoma.

I have an Optoma that needed repairs, just out of warranty. Had the worst possible customer service hassles possible. They finally "fixed" my lovely projector for an ungodly amount of cash, and shipped it back. It still didn't work. All my emails ignored after that, and the voice mailbox of my rep was continuously full. Bunch of wankers. Never again.

Optoma can go suck a d**k.

When you decide on a projector, you'll also be needing a quality screen to project onto, as well. White wall really doesn't cut it. Take that into consideration. They are quite easy to mount, so it's not a big deal, but they'll run a few extra bucks.

Also, most projectors have no speakers. You'll need to have a plan in place for wiring all over the place, to hook it up to your sound system. Same for the video sources.

The projector will be behind you, most times. Think about that when planning the wiring and a/v equipment placement. Also, check exactly which a/v inputs your projector accepts. Mine, for example, does not have a HDMI input - but that's okay, 'cos the PS3 player can convert output to 3-cable component, which I can accomodate fine.

Check which angle the projector is optomised for, too. My
shitty piece of crap
Optoma brand projector was designed to sit low and angle upwards. Many other projectors are designed to be mounted high (even bracketed to the ceiling) and angle down a wee bit. The projector should have a function called Keystoning, which allows for variances and adjustment of the optimal angle.

Look up the price of replacement bulbs before doing anything else. Just sayin'.

Hope you found some of that useful. :cool:

_________

p.s. Optoma should be avoided like the plague. Not sure if I mentioned that enough times. :)

This one.

Speaking of projectors: Did anyone see the article in AC about the projector sequence in Super 8? That's some clever cookie baking...

I agree, I've had that Panasonic for 6 months or so now. I love it. Just watched Tron Legacy the other night. Rightout of the box the colors were too vibrant, but I switched to cinema mode 2, then tweaked the gamma down a bit, looked like I was watching film projected. Amazingly rich detail, even with such a dark movie.

My first projector was an Optoma (DLP, but not HD) I purchased around 2004... Great first projector, while it worked. I tried to get it repaired after it failed to turn on... Keeep in mind I paid about 1200 for it brand new... three years later after out of warranty, I sent it into optoma to get it repaired. I think it was about $150-200 for them just to look at it, not refundable. To fix it, they said they'd have to replace the whole motherboard (very common apparently) and parts/labor would bring the total to about $950 to repair. Needless to say, I just trashed the unit and sold my virtually brand new replacement bulb on ebay.

Bottom line, after using this Panasonic, I'd never go back to DLP based projectors, at least until 3-chip DLP goes mainstream. The Optoma, being DLP based, has whats called a color-wheel that spins at a extremely high velocity... it produces some subtle artifacts (rainbow) and is relatively noisy relative to something like the Panasonic which I can barely hear most of the time.

Optoma may have improved quite a bit from my first one, but I suspect they haven't cought up with Panasonic yet. Panasonic of course has been in the A/V business for a long time, the onscreen controls, ability to very finely tweak color/gamma, and remote are a testament to that.

My best friend sells them. What's your budget? For under $1000 he sells one that's close to 4000 (2 and a half times that panasonic) lumens. He installs lights and projectors in venues/churches/concert halls. Get's a great price, gives a great price.

Haha, my best friend ad is now over. Seriously, we've been using one for a year and a half now with no problems, still works great and looks better than the $5k projectors I used to rent for road shows.

Whatever you do, don't get an Optoma.

I have an Optoma that needed repairs, just out of warranty. Had the worst possible customer service hassles possible. They finally "fixed" my lovely projector for an ungodly amount of cash, and shipped it back. It still didn't work. All my emails ignored after that, and the voice mailbox of my rep was continuously full. Bunch of wankers. Never again.

Optoma can go suck a d**k.

When you decide on a projector, you'll also be needing a quality screen to project onto, as well. White wall really doesn't cut it. Take that into consideration. They are quite easy to mount, so it's not a big deal, but they'll run a few extra bucks.

Also, most projectors have no speakers. You'll need to have a plan in place for wiring all over the place, to hook it up to your sound system. Same for the video sources.

The projector will be behind you, most times. Think about that when planning the wiring and a/v equipment placement. Also, check exactly which a/v inputs your projector accepts. Mine, for example, does not have a HDMI input - but that's okay, 'cos the PS3 player can convert output to 3-cable component, which I can accomodate fine.

Check which angle the projector is optomised for, too. My
shitty piece of crap
Optoma brand projector was designed to sit low and angle upwards. Many other projectors are designed to be mounted high (even bracketed to the ceiling) and angle down a wee bit. The projector should have a function called Keystoning, which allows for variances and adjustment of the optimal angle.

Look up the price of replacement bulbs before doing anything else. Just sayin'.

Hope you found some of that useful. :cool:

_________

p.s. Optoma should be avoided like the plague. Not sure if I mentioned that enough times. :)

I had almost purchased a optima but this helps a whole lot, my research continues on projectors, Im gonna need a projector that fits all my needs. Thanks.:yes:

Back