What is DSLR?

I've been searching through the internet, and I keep seeing stuff about DSLR. To a total newbie who knows nothing, Google isn't helping either. What is it?

You should google it but here is a basic breakdown.

SLR - Single Lens Reflex
With this kind of camera, you are able to use the viewfinder to get a pretty accurate look at your lens' target.
While on a regular camera the viewfinder has only an approximate view of what's happening on the lens, due to being a completly different device. The SLR, on the other hand, uses a moving mirror to reflect the image coming through the lens towards the viewfinder. When taking a picture, the mirror moves, letting light get to the film.

A DSLR is the same device, using digital inforamtion recording, instead of physical (film).

DSLR are photography cameras made for serious photographers. People who take pictures at weddings. And for magazine ads. And for the New York Times.

The camera manufacturers thought their customers might appreciate the ability to shoot video every now and then. As it turns out, the video is quite beautiful, and as a result, a lot of filmmakers are using these photography cameras to make movies.

These don't even look like video cameras though. Can they shoot video?

DSLR are photography cameras made for serious photographers. People who take pictures at weddings. And for magazine ads. And for the New York Times.

The camera manufacturers thought their customers might appreciate the ability to shoot video every now and then. As it turns out, the video is quite beautiful, and as a result, a lot of filmmakers are using these photography cameras to make movies.

I already answered this question, brother. Check out my blogs on the pros/cons of shooting on DSLR. Then, spend some time on youtube looking for test-footage (their's tons of it).

Hey, while I'm answering your questions, let me throw in some shameless self-promotion. :D My debut feature was shot mostly on the T2i, with some additional footage shot on the 7D:

http://www.antihero-movie.com

DSLR - At first, awesme for photography, replacement (or almost one) for SLR (PRO photography cameras). With time, companies added video capabilities as a feature and selling point. At first a gimmick, DSLR cameras with video recording options have become an invaluable tool, the main reasons behind this being it's versatility and price, with image quality too competitive to ignore for a begginer.
The cheap digital format and it's mainstream availability (for cameras themselves and lenses [interchangable lenses a huuuge sellling point]) help begginer videographers to have acces to video production and cheap experimentation, with no need for developing.

Back