What is a good original plot for a super hero movie?

I am trying to make a super hero movie that takes place in the Mississippi delta. I just can't think of anything.

Seriously though, how about a plot where everyone else is a super hero, but the protagonist isn't? And somehow he gets to save the day.

Sounds like Moist from Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

do you need anything dampened....?

Seriously though, a "sidekick" type story would be awesome. Lots of superpowers. Big, world ending battles. But the story focuses on the guy without powers, living through it, maybe even actually saving the world unbeknown to the superheros. Lots of miles in that idea; you could do it funny and whimsical (see the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode "The Zeppo") or dark and gritty (imagine the perspective of a normal person living through the events of The Watchmen).

And still thinking of Dr. Horrible, I just realized "we do the weird stuff" could be the indietalk motto ;)

So you want something that's somehow unique to or identifiable with the Mississippi Delta? I think that I'd have to learn a little something about the Mississippi Delta.

Are you just writing the story with a pie-in-in-the-sky budget or do you have a sensible budget to shoot yourself? (Do you have a boom pole guy?!) ;)

Feature or short, BTW?

Seriously though, how about a plot where everyone else is a super hero, but the protagonist isn't? And somehow he gets to save the day.

Yes! Now THAT is an idea that I really like. The Superhero Movie market is becoming so oversaturated. This would be the perfect antithesis, and it could be hilarious! My next major production is locked, but someday I may just have to steal this idea from you, if nobody else does first.

reminds me of a TV show from a couple of years ago called Norman Normal. but there it's just one family except the son who became superheroes.

When the microwave exploded, everyone in Norman's family got super-powers... except him! Now his family (father, mother, grandfather, younger sister and even the dog!) fights against the injustice while he tries to live a normal teenager's life.

if you really wanna do a superhero flick, from the top of my head I can give you a couple of random ideas and hope it helps.

i'll give you two classic and cliche ideas and 2 fairly original ones.

-boy in the delta discovers he can save the "bad guys" from shutting down the river and killing the animal life, he does so by getting powers from somewhere, maybe aqua powers so you can do some rad water shots..
-a man decides he will raise a colony of undead to raise hell on earth and this boy is the only one who knows about it. he discovers amazing powers that grant him imunity against the undead and over time defeats an entire army

now 2 ideas i'd maybe try doing from the top of my head:

-a teenager gets so lost in comics and movies that he thinks he is a super hero, he falls deeper and deeper into his imaginary world, almost to the point of getting killed, he is helped by his female friend- in the end he learns that the real world is too sad for him to handle and decides to live in his imaginary life, therefore going deep into a kind of mental illness.

-maybe an idea of a guy who is nothing special and decides he will help others with his human powers, he makes a semi-costume and helps everyone with his human capabilities. kind of a short film showing that every human being can be a super hero if they wanted to.

How about riffing on that old legend about how Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in order to become proficient at playing the blues? Maybe the superhero goes around the delta trying to thwart the devilish villain who takes the souls of young aspiring bluesmen.

1. The origin of how the town of D'Lo, Mississippi got its name
2. How the superhero used his powers to help the Saints win the Superbowl
3. Trent Lott is really an alien
4. Brett Favre finds a relic on his Mississippi farmland that turns him in to a superhero. He spends the next several years deciding whether or not he will use his powers to fight crime.
5. Something evil lurks in the bottom of Ross Barnett reservoir. Its only weakness is Delta Blues.
6. Any combination of the above.

I do like the idea (posted above) about the superhero whose power is blues music - a la the Robert Johnson myth. If you want to stay true the lore of the delta, that is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back