What did you watch, tonight?

i recently watched 500 days of summer a few days ago.
i gotta say i loved it. and it inspired me quite a lot.
i can tell i'll be watching this movie again in a few weeks time.

television wise- i've been thrashing the curb your enthusiam series.
larry david is(was?) the most entertaining person on tv!

The most recent movie I watched was Sherlock Holmes (for the second time), the new one. I actually like it, I mean it wasn't amazing but I thought it was pretty good.

Yeah, "Sherlock Holmes' was in interesting retake on a classic character.

In keeping with the Easter weekend I watched "King of Kings." A bit pompous, but gorgeous to look at.

Watched Terminator: Salvation last night (I'm catching up on films ;))

Was pleasantly surprised how good it was for me, certainly superior to that piece of.....spam called "Rise Of The Machines (the only good thing in that was the TX).

Wouldn't mind movies focussing on the events leading up to Kyle's trip back in time.

Lets see, last thing i've seen is Crazy Heart and absolutely do recommend it to all looking for something anti hollywood (even though it did take home best actor). Funny thing though. Colin Ferrell didn't do anything wrong in the film yet he somehow managed to give off major douche vibes.

The problem in T3 was that Arnold didn't have any lines that were more than 3 words.

"Don't Do That"

"Get Down"

"Get to chopper"..

Alice 3D - to echo zen, the 3d didn't add anything positive to it. The set designs looked good enough in 2d that it was not worth the extra. Plot was a bit so-so, too much focus on Depp's "CG-eyes".

The Road - I'm going to have to re-read the book, but some character decisions in the flashbacks were just kinda... dumb... some good apocalyptic imagery and sometimes achieves a good "father-son" emotional dynamic, but pretty flat.

The Book of Eli - I thought it a less realistic but more entertaining post-apocalyptic movie than The Road, though lots of equally stupid character decisions and the twist on the end, while well-executed was a little predictable and not really THAT impactful. Decent flick tho.

The Cove
- Thought it was entertaining and did a good job telling a compelling story. I know people that say "well, if you looked at any fishery...", but personally, I'd love to see a bomb dropped on that particular village and those fishermen impaled on hooks and dragged through an angry mob of PETA people.

The Hurt Locker - Good movie, but I didn't really see the Oscar sweeps. The character was interesting enough, but my problem was that I have with many movies- they don't need to be like 3 hours long. Slow story, lots of repetition in scenes. I might have been expecting more "edge of your seat" intense and got a character story instead, though, so hype matters.

And as for TV habits, LOST and 24 have always been my staples. LOST is incredible, but they have a lot to wrap up in 6 more episodes (I CAN'T WAIT FOR TONIGHT'S). 24 peaked in season 4 and has struggled mainly due to stupid-as-shit sideplots and the boring "west wing" element that seemed to merge into the series slowly over time. Last season was decent enough, but this season has been up and down.

Also, Breaking Bad is decent, Dexter is phenomenal, The Office is amazing and I also have a guilty pleasure for antique roadshow and anything with Chef Ramsey in it.

Last edited:
Lets see, last thing i've seen is Crazy Heart and absolutely do recommend it to all looking for something anti hollywood (even though it did take home best actor). Funny thing though. Colin Ferrell didn't do anything wrong in the film yet he somehow managed to give off major douche vibes.

hahaha, yeah...
excellent film and ever better performances. but there's just something about Colin Ferrell, the hair, the guitar and the 'nice guy' act. hes usually a self hating prick! and i think because of that, it made it hard for me to trust his character. which is a shame because your right, he does nothing wrong.

On Thursday nights my wife has her evening out so my eight year old daughter and I watch a movie. Last night was "Toy Story." Still a great movie after repeated watchings.

My wife and I just ran through all seasons of HEROES, and now we started DEXTER.

Love Netflix streaming. It's the way of the future.

My wife and I just ran through all seasons of HEROES, and now we started DEXTER.

Love Netflix streaming. It's the way of the future.

Dexter is amazing!! How is Heroes? Is it worth watching? I just got caught up on lost and I'm feeling the absence from my evenings...

Dexter is amazing!! How is Heroes? Is it worth watching? I just got caught up on lost and I'm feeling the absence from my evenings...

Funny because just before we ran through all of HEROES, we watched the last two seasons of LOST. We love lost, and it stinks we have to wait so long for the next season to come out on Netflix stream...we don't watch these shows on TV...we like to blast through 3 or 4 shows a night, without commercials.

There are mixed reviews about HEROES, but my wife and I really liked it. I really got in touch with the characters, I think the acting is superb, the writing is fun and inventive, and I'm a geek so the superhero thing is perfect for me. I recommend it. It's on Netflix streaming also.

I just finished watching "Lock up" with Sly. Man, I love those '80s action flicks - you can see any twist coming mile away but they are sure fun to watch. Packed with action, cheesy one-liners. Awesome :).

On Thursday nights my wife has her evening out so my eight year old daughter and I watch a movie. Last night was "Toy Story." Still a great movie after repeated watchings.

At Alcove: Did you hear that Toy Story 3 is coming out? It's directed by the great ol' Lee Unkrich (codirected toy story 2, monsters inc., and finding nemo).

I knew back in 2006 that "Toy Story 3" was slated for summer 2010. Now that the previews are out my daughter is driving my wife and I crazy with "when can we go see it?".

Tonight I watched the NY Yankees get their butts kicked by Tampa Bay.

Just watched The Cutting Edge: Magic of Moviemaking. So inspirational. Especially seeing all the women editors going back almost as far as film itself :)

Just watched The Cutting Edge: Magic of Moviemaking. So inspirational. Especially seeing all the women editors going back almost as far as film itself :)
Fantastic doc. Isn't it funny, when film was silent editing was akin to sewing so it was womens work, but when sound came along it became technical and thus a mans job.

Tonight my wife and I watched Julie and Julia. Meryl Streep had Julia Child down, and Amy Adams was great as always. And I really dig Stanley Tucci when he gets a part he can sink his teeth into. I loved the cross-editing between Julia in the 40's and 50's and Julie in 2002.

It's also nice to watch a "quiet" film for a change - no explosions, fights, car chases, etc. With the exception of two scenes my current feature project is also a "quiet" film so it's a good study in subtle sound design.

Back