• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What boompole would you recommend in this case?

I could use a new, professional one, cause I was using a DIY pole before, but it's tough to keep it silent cause it would make noises as you swing it from actor to actor before, and I would like one that is silent without needing the attention to keep it quiet. Plus it probably looks unprofessional on the sets I showed up to, where it took more time to keep it quiet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are the kinds where the XLR cable will go inside the pole, and extend with the pole. These kind I think are more money, but perhaps it's worth it to save time on set?

Last edited:
I personally returned my boom pole that had the wire inside. it made it more complicated to expand and retract and it was slowing me down on set. Maybe it's because i'm just an amateur but I exchanged it for a pole without the internal wire and I'm happier now.

Certainly others would prefer it the other way around.

Regular mic stands are great options too. You'd just have to replace the head with a shock mount. Or hell... a monopod works too. And also, it's not your equipment that defines the type of filmmaker you are, but how you use it.

Last edited:
Regular mic stands are great options too. You'd just have to replace the head with a shock mount. Or hell... a monopod works too. And also, it's not your equipment that defines the type of filmmaker you are, but how you use it.

I see what you mean, but mainly I had to wrap pieces of tape on my DIY pole, to keep it from making noise, and it took more time to set up between shots, when I had to adjust the length of the pole when changing spaces in the room. So I wanted something that was quicker, for set up.

Because in the inside it can make just as much noise, but then you can't fix it.
A retractable cable is flexible, so it will hang loose and can hit the pole on the inside.
Besides that: cables break every now and then. That is also easier fixed when it is external.

If the boom creates noise there are mostly just 2 possibilities:
- the cable hits the boom
- the operator hits the boom

To rule out the first problem an external cable is the best way to go.
The second problem is experience.

Changing the length of a boom can't take much longer than setting up a camera.

Internally cabled boom-poles are great for very experienced professionals, which, H44, you are not.

Get whichever boom-pole length you think that you need and use an external mic cable. The external cable will make it easier for the non-professional to control cable noise.

Okay thanks, so basically when say external cable, you are talking about one, where the cable is wrapped around the pole, right?

As for internal, and not being able to change the cable, I thought if a cable breaks, you could take it out and put a new one in. Or are the internal ones, forever built in, and cannot be replaced under any circumstances? If that is the case, then why are they for professionals more?

Sure. I was recommended the internal wire pole by a boom op i worked with before, so I wanted other opinions. But if the external is the way to go cause it makes less noise, then I will go with that.

Sure. I was recommended the internal wire pole by a boom op i worked with before, so I wanted other opinions. But if the external is the way to go cause it makes less noise, then I will go with that.

The amount of noise depends on the operator.
An external wire will make it easier to tackle noise caused by the wire hitting the boom (which is caused by the operator).

I never had a problem with the wire making noise as long as it's twirled tightly around the pole. The only noise problem I had with the DIY pole is part the shock mount was hooked on would make noise sometimes, as well as the hook in the pole that catches the extension, since I was using a painter's pole.

I never had a problem with the wire making noise as long as it's twirled tightly around the pole. The only noise problem I had with the DIY pole is part the shock mount was hooked on would make noise sometimes, as well as the hook in the pole that catches the extension, since I was using a painter's pole.

Therefore external wire is what you're experienced with. You should stick with what works for you.
Get a real boom pole with an external wire.

Okay thanks. I was told before recently that if I cannot find a pro boom op to make a short film, I should just get a friend to help out. If I get a friend to help out, what would be the better job... for me to boom, while the friend is behind the camera, for me to be behind the camera, while the friend booms.

That is if I can set up the shots with enough light, so I not much focus pulling is involved of course...

Back