• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What a difference two years makes

sfoster

Staff Member
Two years ago this month I sent one of the first scripts I ever wrote to someone for review. It had some real gems of ideas in there from a criminal standpoint, but as far as a script goes it wasn't written very well :eek:

I finally revisited it - as episode 3 for my Criminal Bounds miniseries - so I rewrote the whole thing. It's half the length now and my most professional looking one yet. I still have to film episode 2 first, but this is a very exciting time.

Good on ya for taking the time to listen, learn, fix & polish the script. Most won't. :cool:

What really happened was I said.. wth am I doing with a 20 minute script when I've never filmed anything.

Then I wrote a 2 page script that never got filmed either. :lol:

Then after that made my first film, kept moving forward, grew in skill. and now revisited because it fits perfectly into my miniseries as a way to introduce a new character

I saw a fascinating episode of some true crime show a few years back that has always stuck with me. It was about a con-man of sorts, who'd repeatedly start over his entire life when things would go wrong. He joined the army when he was only 15, and when they figured it out a couple years later and discharged him he just re-enlisted under an assumed identity. Eventually they figured it out, and he just did it again, and again. Apparently he eventually got tired of going through boot camp and decided to pursue other interests, and went on to have many, many careers - as a detective, police investigator, lawyer, etc.

He wasn't really ever running any big cons though - he wasn't stealing money or anything like that. I believe he actually caught some high-profile criminals while he was working as a police investigator. He just seemed to decide whatever it was he wanted to be next, and then proceed to do it, regardless of his qualifications or prior experience.

The part I found fascinating was how he managed to pretty much create a whole new life for himself every two years or so, and he seemed to be pretty successful at everything he attempted to do.

It just got me thinking about how much was possible in a two-year time span, once you put your mind to it. Of course, it's probably advisable to avoid having to outright lie in order to achieve your goals - I believe the hero of our story is now in prison. Or, at minimum, don't get caught.

Back