• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Wave

Narration really soured it for me.

Talking about 300mph winds and all i get is slow motion waves :(

Ah good. At first i was afraid this was another ecological nightmare that I was somehow unaware of, skimming by "welcome to the future," until the dude told me about the monster crabs in 2471. Whew.

Anyway, I love the colors of this, and I'm not usually that visually sensitive. And the waves are beautiful. Nice work, Mr. Pipeline!

I wouldn't say I was soured by the narration, but lines like "a theatre of tempestuous ocean waltzing to the rhythm of the wind" may be a little florid and metaphorically mixed. And maybe it's a little adjective heavy, with extraordinary effects, tumultuous ocean, cyclonic siege. And maybe, being Nate North, alliteration is your trademark :) but to me, there might be just a few too many.

But this is just me, and, quibbles aside, I like it. It feels high-end, production and music wise.

Last edited:

Well, I see your point, it's just that the way the AI is now, basically the faster the motion the more it screws up. Doing a live tornado or similar would be impossible right now, but I felt like I got in a few entertaining brushstrokes here and there. I can move things at normal speed, and there's some of that in there, but super high speed is kind of out of reach right now, because I have to stop every frame and tell the AI exactly what each piece of flying debri is, compared to the workflow I used for this, which was to engineer frames in the smart system, then feed those to the dumb but fully auto animator, audit the output, throw away the worst 90%, and do all the editing and mixing.

Basically, if I wanted to start uprooting trees and throwing them through buildings at 300mph (and of course I do want to do that), that would be a 5 month film. This however, was under 3 days from concept to publication.

Last edited:
Ah good. At first i was afraid this was another ecological nightmare that I was somehow unaware of, skimming by "welcome to the future," until the dude told me about the monster crabs in 2471. Whew.

Anyway, I love the colors of this, and I'm not usually that visually sensitive. And the waves are beautiful. Nice work, Mr. Pipeline!

I wouldn't say I was soured by the narration, but lines like "a theatre of tempestuous ocean waltzing to the rhythm of the wind" may be a little florid and metaphorically mixed. And maybe it's a little adjective heavy, with extraordinary effects, tumultuous ocean, cyclonic siege. And maybe, being Nate North, alliteration is your trademark :) but to me, there might be just a few too many.

But this is just me, and, quibbles aside, I like it. It feels high-end, production and music wise.
Thanks for the review, it's interesting to see how various people perceive this one, since it's purpose must seem very ambiguous out of context.

While I think I overdid it a bit, the overly prosaic nature of the narration is intentional, as it's a "mocumentary", satirizing Attenborough's work. I was trying to make it close enough to the formula that people couldn't tell it was fictional for a while, but then also make fun of the often overdone narration he uses in those shows.

For a bit of context, this particular piece was a practice run for "tv inside a tv". During Save Point, you sometimes have the option to watch one of the billions of tv screens in the world. Whether it's on a flight (which may or may not get hijacked while you're on it) or at a hotel, or at a theater in a town, just like in real life, you can choose to just watch whatever is on screen X. You can actually do this in one of the first scenes, where you can choose to disregard the nuclear strike warning as fake news, and watch something else, with predictable results.

I'm probably going to gate in a lot of content from other creatives for these, and the net effect should eventually be kind of like "interdimensional cable" from rick and morty. I just thought it would be cool to have large amounts of fictional tv programs inside the game.

Some of these will serve dual roles, foreshadowing in this case. I added on an end credits sequence on this one that kind of showed how that foreshadowing might work, but that wouldn't be in the game version.

I was also testing how to hide things in plain sight here. What you likely thought was the end segment, was designed to be less interesting, to prime people to turn off the feed at or before the blue moon scene. Seems to be working.

as it's a "mocumentary", satirizing Attenborough's work.

Ahhh. It makes sense now. A little dry, but in context, i think this would be apparent. Interesting. As I said, at first i thought it was something real, and then . . . I didn't want to be unkind, and so didn't go on about the writing being a little sophomoric, lol. As parody it works great, and I can see it in the tv in the tv setting as being pretty cool. I like this kind of layering of realities. I think it's a good idea, and ultimately pretty ambitious.

Last edited:
Ahhh. It makes sense now. A little dry, but in context, i think this would be apparent. Interesting. As I said, at first i thought it was something real, and then . . . I didn't want to be unkind, and so didn't go on about the writing being a little sophomoric, lol. As parody it works great, and I can see it in the tv in the tv setting as being pretty cool. I like this kind of layering of realities. I think it's a good idea, and ultimately pretty ambitious.
I do tend to have a really dry sense of humor. I'm planning to have a lot of fun with these inception tv stations. Also dream sequences. For basically everything else, I'm somewhat constrained to keep visuals within some type of SODB window, but these couple of areas are free skate.

Just wondering, what aspect of the narration bothered you? I ask because there are 5 different things that affect the quality of narration, Content, voice, mixing, effects, timing. Can you narrow it down?

In this instance, I spent days refining a custom made robot voice, trying to get a more realistic tone and delivery. So basically from your comment I can't tell if you're talking about the over the top mocumentary writing, or the mix, or the voice itself, etc.

Just wondering, what aspect of the narration bothered you? I ask because there are 5 different things that affect the quality of narration, Content, voice, mixing, effects, timing. Can you narrow it down?

In this instance, I spent days refining a custom made robot voice, trying to get a more realistic tone and delivery. So basically from your comment I can't tell if you're talking about the over the top mocumentary writing, or the mix, or the voice itself, etc.
it might be a just me, niche sorta thing, especially the the slump the last six weeks has put me in, but the narration was "writing checks" that the visuals "can't cash", making me wish i could see stuff that wasn't being shown, it SOUNDED cooler than it looked, making me wish it looked cooler (disappointment)

it's like the narration made the visuals less cool.

Back