was there a film...

that made you want to do this kind of thing...

Mine was deffintally My own private idaho. I got it when i was like 14 because i'm a big fan of River Phoenix and then when i saw the look of it, my naive littleself thought "uh, i don't think i'm going to like it" because it had a independent look to it.

So, I watched it, fell in love with it, and fell in love with film making!
(And obviously i love independent films now!)

What about you? Any films?

Last edited:
Clerks. I thought I would hate indie flicks...black and whites (except for classics). What made me love Clerks was Jay and Silent Bob and then the daily goings on of a convenience store. It could be a story about anywhere at anytime that someone at one point of their life could relate to.

Good idea for a thread!

The film that made me want to go into filmmaking was "Daughters of the Dust" directed by Juli Dash. I loved the idea of telling stories this way and I liked the idea of showing African Americans in a non-stereotypical way. After seeing that film, I was hooked even though it took me a while to take the filmmaking plunge.

-- spinner :cool:

My interest grew because of a few influences. I started getting interested right after Jaws came out and I read the book "The Jaws Log" (I think it was called), all about the making of that movie. There was also a silly gameshow hosted by Don Adams around that time called Don Adam's Screentest. And I think the premise was Don would direct audience members through a scene from a feature film and hilarious consequences would ensue :rolleyes: . I was a kid who thought that was directing. I played around with film making a bit and then I saw Apocalypse Now the night it opened in the city I lived in - and I was amazed. I was also fortunate enough to be an extra in one of Coppola's films, so I watched him and his crew work. There was another tv show right around that time called "Standby - Lights Camera Action" hosted by Leonard Nimoy. It was a weekly show for kids about the behind the scenes stuff of current movies. That just poured gas on my fire. Now, twenty-seven years later, the flames have burned down, but there's an ember or two. :)

Nope, never saw a movie that made me think, "I wanna make movies, too."

I've always liked films, mind you... also really got into writing short-fiction, with no intention of it ever getting it published, or adapted.

It just suddenly clicked, after I accidentally signed up for a free acting class a few years back. Weird. :weird:

I don't remember the point I decided that I wanted to make movies... it was well before high school? I do know that "Clerks" "Living in Oblivion" and "Ed Wood" are my big go to movies when I need to feel motivated... maybe perversely especially the latter two. Something about glamorizing indie disasters? :P

Also, "Daughters of the Dust" is a huge indirect influence for my current project... I just saw it in a class last semester, and I freaking love how Dash tells such a powerful women centered story, and I think the way she handles representation of such a unique but also symbolically generalizable subgroup (the Gullah) is amazing :)

Back