Videographer Wgaes???

In my job hunting, I found a job offering a videographer $20 and hour to make videos for Fortune 500 companies. The videographer is required to have a Panasonic HVX200 and an AVID or Final Cut Pro and cover all of their own expenses.

Doesn't the pay sound low if the videographer is to make videos for Fortune 500 companies? I'm wondering what sort of cut the one posting the job offering will take from the Fortune 500 companies.

Last edited:
I can get around £35 an hour here in London. That's with my whole kit. Translates to $55/hour. And consider, i am 16.. SO you can probably do better than that!

It sounds like:

1. Someone is trying to cash in by taking advantage of the economy - there's always someone desperate enough to take the job.

2. Someone has no idea what the f%*! they're doing.

3. They've already blown the budget and looking to make up the shortfall (see #1).

4. They're trying to break into corporate work by undercutting prices (see #1 or #2).

Most Fortune 500 companies have a regular vendor that does this kind of thing for them or they do it in-house, although companies having their own production facilities is becoming rarer and rarer these days. The primary vendor will have contacts all over the country that work with the primary vendor on a regular informal basis.

I'm not sure what the average is but that sounds pretty low to me, especially since your covering your own expenses.

Ditto. Don't take the job! It seems way to low, especially because they want you to have exact equipment and cover expenses!

You should be looking at 40-60 dollars an hour or so!

It does sounds low. However, I live in a pretty expensive area and regularly see jobs posted on craigslist in that range.

Wages are driven by supply and demand. Thanks to the ever-declining cost of equipment there are a lot of people out there with an HVX200 or equivalent and an editing system, probably more than there are jobs for them, so the appropriate wages will depend entirely on how low those people are willing to go and how many there are competing for available jobs. On the flip side there's a lot more video production being done than ever before - the end result is there are going to be a lot of production jobs that fall into a lower hourly rate.

In general you do get what you pay for - the more someone is willing to pay, the better they're likely to get (to a point, of course). That said when I see someone offering a low hourly wage I've found that often represents the quality they are willing to pay for. Many projects require nothing more than basic competency, and when that's the case there's not much worth in paying high wages for top-shelf talent.

The reality is $20 an hour is still a pretty decent wage for most jobs - it's well over double even our high local minimum wage. On a full-time annual basis it hits right about at the average wage for an individual in the US.

The one thing I'd be cautious of with any video job where the wages are on the low side is being very clear on what exactly that wage covers. If you're getting paid $20/hour, but you end up commuting an hour each way and aren't paid for that time your effective hourly rate just dropped to $16/hour. If you're meeting, or prepping equipment, or planning a shoot, etc - anything that's outside of the actual production time - and not accounting for & getting compensated for that time, then it reduces your effective hourly rate. If you're working on a purely freelance basis you also have to account for your own overhead - equipment, insurance, rent, etc, plus your time managing the business doing things like invoicing and other paperwork. If you don't account for all of this it's easy to have your effective hourly rate drop below minimum wage if your starting rate is too low.

Then again - even if your effective rate is only equivalent to minimum wage it might be worth it if your other option is working for minimum wage in a non-video related industry.

So only you can decide whether it's an appropriate wage for you - and that's going to depend on how much available time you have, how much experience, what other employment options you have, etc. It doesn't really matter how much any of the rest of us say you should charge if no one in your area is willing to pay that much and you need the work.

Last edited:
It depends...is it a full-time position or for contracted services?

If it's full-time, then it might be worth it. If contracted, then they'll have to be content with whatever quality work they end up with at that rate.

$20 an hour is about $200 a day, and I know several guys (starting out) at that rate. It's what I started at years and years ago. You typically don't get the same quality product that the $350-$500 a day guys give you, but you typically dot get the same quality car in a $20k car as a $50k car either.

If you need the work, it still beats flipping burgers! Also, if someone can send you 30 hours of work a week at that rate it's an added plus. Work there until you find a better gig.

Be honest with yourself and think about the quality of product you can offer. Charge too much for what you're selling and the very few jobs you get will be a pain because they won't be happy for what they're paying, charge too little and you over work yourself and clients tend to under appreciate you.

But yes, it's probably a little low for what they're asking for.

Consider too, you learn something on every project. After a period of working lower aid gigs your skill set improves to qualify for better pay, AND all that first hand experience will translate into your personal projects making them that much better!

$20 an hour is about $200 a day, and I know several guys (starting out) at that rate

True, but they are talking about an hourly rate, not a day rate, so they may call him to go through three hours of unpaid travel and $50 worth of gas & tolls (NYC Tri-State, one bridge can be $20+ round trip) for three hours worth of work; and they're not covering expenses, remember? So he'll have committed six hours minus his expenses; that's $10 or $1.65/hr.

Op for $20/hr starting out, sure... + expensive equipment that costs $100/day to rent + editing soft/hardware @ $2500 + investment... ?

Dayrate .. 10 hr day @ a rate you're comfortable with... then you get that rate every day whether they use you for the whole time or not...and overtime for more 1.5x in hourly increments.

This will help offset your equipment cost for the other bits they're asking you to bring to the table... insurance for the equipment as well... which you can offer for them to provide for you if they'd like and then take a small reduction on that project as your thousands of dollars of equipment investment will be under their expense in case anything happens while you're on their shoot.

Signed contracts everytime. They're trying to not have to pay for those things by picking the low hanging fruit. Try to negotiate.

Here's an example of a more realistic gig: http://weareindependentfilm.com/2011/09/06/new-york-cinematographers-needed-500-day-rate/

I have a kind of related question/concern.

I'm a freelance editor and edited an independent music video for which I've been waiting for three months. It was a work by amateur and salary was really small, but it frustrates me that every time I try to meet the producer/director, he tells me he's out of town or simply ignored my email when I asked him to send me a check.

It was my fault that I didn't sign a contract.

I want to (at least tell him that I will) charge him a delay fee for the salary. How much can I charge, or is there anything I can do?

I want to (at least tell him that I will) charge him a delay fee for the salary. How much can I charge, or is there anything I can do?
If he will not pay you what he owes you now, he will not pay
you any penalty fee. If it makes you feel better, tell him you
will charge him 10% of the agreed upon salary for every week
(day?) he doesn't pay you starting today.

In reality the only thing you can do is take him to small claims
court and hope a judge believes you and not him. with no contract
you might be able to get something if you have other proof of
service and /or agreed upon salary.

Back