Under age?

Hi there,

I am a truly aspiring filmmaking and screenwriter. I have been writing scripts in my free time, but not doing anything to them yet (selling etc.)

After reading a lot of threads here, I'm not sure if I am old enough to execute the steps in making an indie film (all the sponsoring money, getting a crew, etc.) I know, technically, anyone can start when your like 5 years old, but what age did you start getting together a crew and write scripts? I'm interested... I am 15 years old, but I feel passionate for film. I will hopefully take film classes at a community college in a few years.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi jon!

I started making films at 13. No financing and the cast and crew were
my friends from school and my drama class. I wrote my own scripts.
Well, truthfully, we usually just made it up as we went. At about 15 I
started using one act plays. Since I didn't pay for the rights, I knew I
could never show those films to anyone, but the experience was worth
it. I learned so much about all the important things like how to schedule
actors and crew, how to get locations, how to light, how to use the
camera to tell a story.

I found that the more movies I made, the more people were interested
in helping me. Even adults. They saw I was really serious about making
films. I soon started writing my own scrips or finding kids at school who
wrote short stories that I would adapt.

It's even cheaper for you. I was using film. You can shoot on cheap video
tape using a small handycam.

I think you can do it! You'll have to pay for your first few movies on your
own - no one is going to give you money at your age except friends and
family. The cast and crew will have to be your friends and kids at school
at first. Take one of the scripts you have written and shoot it. Do it right
away. Don't wait.

Thanks, Director!

My high school has a one acts group that meets after school and performs. I plan on doing it next year, since I didn't know about it this year.

It may sound like I do not have much. Since, I do not have a digital camcorder or an editing program except imovie. I have a digital camera though. That could take video. But it's not as good as a camcorder because camera's aren't made for taking videos, they're made for taking pictures! My friends probably has a camcorder and I could borrow it.

What if I don't know how to do lighting or editing since I don't have the equipment yet? Well, my plan so far is to keep on writing, come up with a good script, and shoot it with the necessary crew (family and/or friends). I'll see what to do from there.

Do you think attending a film school at the community college is a good idea? I've heard good things about it and it will give me knowledge of filming, still while I'm in high school.

Thanks,
Jon

I started making films via the 'pause and record' method when I was 13. My older brothers used to join in during the later years (15-18) when they visited for the holidays. In fact, recently my brother (a filmmaker as well) put together a huge compilation of the 'Best of' and called it PAUSE & RECORD.

No editing, no script...and rarely any music in post.

Any age is a good age to start. Soak up as much knowledge now, so when you're at the age where people will take you a bit more seriously, you'll be ready to construct a team and make some quality shorts or features.

Because let's face it...unless you have a solid demo reel and are a protege genius...no crew or actor is going to take a High School filmmaker seriously. So it's best to just learn as much as you can now...get a job and save for equipment...write some scripts or find someone who can...and prepare yourself for the real world.

Schooling isn't necessary...but it may be beneficial--it depends on the school, the instructors, and your personality.

Read books. Make movies. Watch movies. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck.

To see my childhood PAUSE & RECORD series, see it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pauseandrecord

If you're old enough to pick up a camcorder, hit record, and point it at people doing things, you're old enough to be a filmmaker. :)

Don't let thinking you're too young stop you!

Some people are just born with vision, just like some people can draw or sculpt. Their stuff has flair right out of the gate. I've seen stuff from 16 and 17 year olds that was pretty amazing.

No matter what, you can start at any age. However, the younger you are, the better (or longer) your mind will adapt to your goal. A lot of people who are really good at what they do, started young.

I started filming, at 15, so I think it's a good age. Some people go into filmmaking to be something specific, like a cinematographer or editor. Until you get to that "professional" stage, where you can afford a paid crew, you often have to wear a few hats. The beauty of wearing several hats is finding where your weakness and strengths are. You might be an average photographer, but a good editor, so you can take a lot of shots and really pace them in post-production. Personally, I've had some projects, where the acting might not be that good. I try to use my composing skills to bring a feeling of emotion and depth that wasn't originally there.

I've noticed that people who find a steady partner do very well. Look at the Wachowski, Farrely, Coen or Hughes brothers. Okay those are relatives, but you can do well to find a partner a la Simpson/Bruckheimer. Just a thought.

As for the age to get your stuff together, some people say 25 is a good first feature age. Look at Orson Welles or Steven Spielberg (CITIZEN KANE & JAWS). Lucas, Carpenter, Cronenberg, Landis marked an era of talented, young directors. If you set that as a goal, you have 10 years! Perfect!

iMovie is an excellent editing program. If your friend has a
camcorder get him involved.

When I was your age I didn't know anything about lighting
or editing but I learned. Not by waiting for community college,
but by playing with different lights.

You can do that, too.

Okay, thanks.

When you were 13-15 years old or around that age, I understand you were working on a film. What kind of film did you film? I'm interested because something like an action movie would take some money. But if it was a simple concept film, like "a film with a message" or a comedy or anything else that is not much of a budget. What was it? Did you use any filming equipment? (i.e. dolly track etc.)

Thanks.

you can also get access to public access stations in your area who will let you use their equipment... perhaps the public library as well... or the local state college (publically funded, so publically accessible).

When you were 13-15 years old or around that age, I understand you were working on a film. What kind of film did you film? I'm interested because something like an action movie would take some money. But if it was a simple concept film, like "a film with a message" or a comedy or anything else that is not much of a budget. What was it? Did you use any filming equipment? (i.e. dolly track etc.)

Your movies need to tell a story, regardless of action or not. I had a camera, a tripod and a light mount. I used shopping carts and cars for dollies. I was working with Super 8 sound. One 50 foot roll lasted about 3½ minutes (at 18 frames per second, instead of 24). With developing, that roll cost around 15 bucks, so every minute was a big deal.

The first year, I played around with the camera and shot about 4 shorts, which were more like scenes than stories. Examples included me, as a scientist, operating on my dog, or as a soldier getting blown up in a foxhole. Another scene had me as a helmeted guy operating his flame thrower. I kid you not, my parents were trying to get me into camping and rocketry, so I turned a propane stove into a flame thrower and peeled D sized rocket engines to make powder or chunks for amazing smoke effects. That's what I was doing at 15 - I was a pyro beyond your wildest imagination!

After experimenting, my first two titled projects were 2 - 3 minute shorts, such as where my friend and I were trying to get a dragon out from our garage. I did a stupid, but comical LIZARD FORCED PERSPECTIVE

I used my pyro abilities to make the flamethrower into things like the dragon's fiery breath and torching up dummies: (P.S. don't try this, I have better alternatives at the end of this post.)

destiny5.jpg

I stuck model rocket engines on my back!

sloan2.jpg

And my pieces on my FACE!

And on MY ACTOR FRIENDS!

Just like I was into the pyro stuff, makeup effects started to consume me. I loved shapeshifters (these stills are all from the 80s, when THE HOWLING and similar movies just came out). Here is sequence where I turn into a dog. At the end, I become a seeing eye dog for my blind friend. Obviously, comedy.

WEREDOG 1
WEREDOG 2
WEREDOG 3
WEREDOG 4

I started college and took the 6 minute WEREDOG idea a step further with an 18 minute short, called METAMORPHOSIS. I got to change into a 40's style werewolf:

Werewolf
Werewolf2
Werewolf3

After my first tranformation, I wake up and find my roommate killed. My buddy, Scott, got the guts from the supermarket butcher, to create this werewolf victim. I was 18, by this point, but what an effect! I was a freshman and scenes like this blew the film class away.

metamorphosis3.jpg

At the end of the movie, I used baggies (one front, one back) filled with fake blood (chocolate syrup, Karo syrup, Red food color and water) to simulate my werewolf getting shot:

metamorphosis5.jpg

Another high school movie was AGENT 1040A, which was a James Bond spoof. It even started with my cheap version of the GUN SIGHT

Also featured was this amazing (and working) PROPELLER POWERED CAR built by my friend's dad, an inventor. If I found something cool, it usually went into a movie.

TWO BROTHERS was a 10 minute horror flick about a dead brother coming back to kill his good brother, so that he can get eternal life from the devil. He has a midnight deadline and doesn't make it, so the dead brother literally starts melting. I think Rick Baker would be proud, because I used flour, water and food color to make something that looked a lot like his INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN.

Here's MINE

I eventually improved the technique with latex - ripping off my face! (The beard is fake, too. I took Spirit Gum and glued my own hair on.)

FACE RIP

FACE RIP 2

Making shorts will eventually evolve into a feature. The earlier you start, the worse that feature will probably be! But, you will learn the most, on that. I'll leave it up to when you think you will be ready. The great thing is, you can learn very fast with video and an editing program. Money won't be a factor, as much as getting people to participate, Because of this, early projects usually have small casts and simpler ideas. The trap with the ease of video may be "not pushing yourself hard enough". The great thing about shooting expensive film was the urgency it lent towards doing something really spectacular and worth showing to people. No one wants to see a home video, so make something that draws people in.

Also, don't do all the dangerous stuff that I did. I've done some amazingly dangerous things, but software and footage libraries of explosions, fire, gunshots, etc. make the action easier and safer than ever! Read my posts in the DO ACTION AND INDIE GO TOGETHER ANYMORE? THREAD to get some cool ideas and pics about action movies.

Some of us may remember the shot-by-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark...which took many years to complete. These kids (who you watch growing up) put together an amazing replica of the film on an uber-shoe-string budget (even the big stone ball roll). The film had such flair and passion that Speilberg himself got a hold of it, and I believe he put it as an extra (or plans to) on one of his own films. He later invited the kids out to his ranch and gave them a tour.

I saw the whole thing...and I was super impressed.

You can read a bit and see a bit here: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/news/2007/05/diy_raiders

Last edited:
I always feel weird about the fact that I didn't do anything in filmmaking when I was younger. The passion was certainly there, along with the desire, but I didn't really do anything with either one of those things. All I did was write a script my senior year of high school.

Now, I'm twenty-three, and I'm worried that I wasted some of my best years for learning.

what age did you start getting together a crew and write scripts?

Heh, I was 35 before I started doing anything seriously.
smiley_toot.gif

The sad thing is, I knew what I wanted to be doing for many years before that... but didn't.

You're 15 right now? If you think filmmaking is your calling, don't let anything else get in the way.

I'm 14 now. And I just finished editing my first short film.

I started writing scripts at 12.

I don't think people take you seriously until you're older though, which is sad. :(

Now, I'm twenty-three, and I'm worried that I wasted some of my best years for learning.

I would only worry, if your desire is fading. As long as the desire is there, you are golden. Honestly, most of what I have learned, has been in the last 12 years or so. And, it happened after I couldn't make movies, for a few years. Being without really made me think. You see, those first 10 years of spitting out films were just that. I learned a lot of physical technics, but I didn't pay atttention to things that I've finally put focus on - my lighting, quality sound, deep characters, etc. These are the kinds of details that separate a James Cameron movie from a Roger Corman movie.

In my case, I was so full of the STAR WARS whiz bang eye candy, I was thinking more about the explosion, than how best to backlight the smoke and capture it. Some things happen with maturity. If that desire can last, it's no problem.

Heh, I was 35 before I started doing anything seriously.
smiley_toot.gif

The sad thing is, I knew what I wanted to be doing for many years before that... but didn't.

You're 15 right now? If you think filmmaking is your calling, don't let anything else get in the way.

I was 30-something....(that's all you get)

I was always waiting for "the right time" or "the right chance/opportunity" to come along. Next thing I knew I was in a job that wasn't sending me in the direction of film. I had to make my own opportunities. I still am trying to now, but it is more difficult in today's economy.

-- spinner :cool:

....My high school has a one acts group that meets after school and performs. I plan on doing it next year, since I didn't know about it this year.

...and that is where you get your actors. First problem solved.

...It may sound like I do not have much. Since, I do not have a digital camcorder or an editing program except imovie......My friends probably has a camcorder and I could borrow it.

Borrow your friends' camera. Second problem solved.
Another thing you should solve is the "I don't have" syndrome that many people your age have. Don't focus on what you don't have. Focus on what you do have. You have iMovie. That is where you can start to learn to edit. Your friends camera is where you will learn to shoot.

...What if I don't know how to do lighting or editing since I don't have the equipment yet?

Use iMovie to learn how to edit. You can take classes to learn lighting, check and see if anyone at your school has any ideas. If your school has a media or audio/visual department, you're golden. However the fact that you don't have your own camera would imply that you haven't shot anything. That is one of the first things you should get used to doing.

Well, my plan so far is to keep on writing, come up with a good script, and shoot it with the necessary crew (family and/or friends). I'll see what to do from there.

Robert Rodriguez started this way....

Do you think attending a film school at the community college is a good idea? I've heard good things about it and it will give me knowledge of filming, still while I'm in high school.

If you can take classes at the community college, take them. At least on a basic level, everyone starts in the same place. A beginning class in high school or community college or a University for the most part will be teaching you the same stuff. Its what you do with all that info that will make you better.

You're off to a good start.:yes:

-- spinner :cool:

Good for you Jeremy!

There's a "window of seriousness", that seems to be after your age, and before mine! The thing is, if they take you seriously or not, be creative and make it happen anyway. When you've got the product, they've got to take you seriously (alright, they don't, but who cares?)

Chris

Thanks cibao,
I'm entering my film in a school competition, so it should be alright.

I might post it up to get some comments before it gets shown to a few grades.

Most people (in my school anyways) make films purely for the attention they get (laughs from their friends). I think it's pointless including inside jokes in a movie just to get a few laughs from one or two people. When I film, I remind myself that if the story only appeals to me and a few others, it wouldn't be worth filming... and definitely not worth submitting into a competition.

However, I worry that the majority would view my film carelessly, thinking it's another extremely straightforward, "protagonist vs antagonist" shorts. If no thinking is done when watching my film, the idea won't be sent properly. And since I'm a student, most would watch it without thinking, and causing them to say it's horrible.

Hm....

Back