TWIXTOR

I saw a youtube video about how Twixtor will change 29.97 fps to 24 fps without dropping frames.

Does anyone know anything about this? Does it work well?

Twixtor is a great frame blender for sure, but it's tricky to use right. You have to shoot a certain way for most shots to work.

For turning 29.97 into 24, I've been really happy with what Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut do in-program. Converting in a 3rd party app would only add another step and (potentially) compression generation loss unless you go uncompressed.

Is your software not doing a good job?

Twixtor is a great frame blender for sure, but it's tricky to use right. You have to shoot a certain way for most shots to work.

For turning 29.97 into 24, I've been really happy with what Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut do in-program. Converting in a 3rd party app would only add another step and (potentially) compression generation loss unless you go uncompressed.

Is your software not doing a good job?

I use Final Cut Pro 4.5 (I have an early G5), and I've been discussing frame rates on this forum for my next movie. I have a Canon XL-1 which is in great shape, and did a fantastic job on Us Sinners. But, everyone seems to be in unison that it's obsolete. But, I'm broke, and looking for a way to make my next movie CHEAP.

downsampling should be easy for any package, after all, the software doesnt need to extrapolate anything, just discard data.. going from 24p to 29.97 would require data to be either duplicated or created.. thats what twixtor is good at. extrapolating data for frames that DONT EXISTS.

downsampling should be easy for any package, after all, the software doesnt need to extrapolate anything, just discard data.. going from 24p to 29.97 would require data to be either duplicated or created.. thats what twixtor is good at. extrapolating data for frames that DONT EXISTS.

Great. So, I'm back to new camera.

My Sony VX2100 is right along the same lines as the XL1. Same capabilities; same price-range (used). I sold it for more than it cost to get a T2i.

Wait a minute. Is this a feature? If you can't afford a T2i, you're a long ways from affording a feature. Shit gets costly.

Bullet-points of the correct method to best shoot for Twixtor? I'd assume alot will rely on the enviroment of the surroundings, to stop warping, colour bleed etc

I've always been flumoxed by it. But we purchased it anyway...

I have a Canon XL-1 which is in great shape, and did a fantastic job on Us Sinners. But, everyone seems to be in unison that it's obsolete.

I am not in that unison.

The camera you ultimately shoot with means nothing in the greater context of story, script, direction, pre-production, actor ability, crew skill, and a host of other vital ingredients to success.

If your next film's success hinges on the camera model you use, there's some issues.

I know this has nothing to do with Twixtor (sorry :blush:) but if all the legwork & preparation has been done, you could shoot on a toy made by Fisher-Price and still get some recognition.

Eh, been done. ;)

Great. So, I'm back to new camera.

Sure, you may have a limited budget; don't hobble yourself by fixating on this.

Yes, it is nice to have the latest technologies sitting on the kitchen table. However, do you think Hitchcock put off filmmaking 'til someone invented the HDV a few decades down the line? Must have been "better" than what he had access to at the time... but I'll still watch what he made with what he had, as will most people today.

The camera choice, in the greater scheme of things, meant nothing.

Get started on your film. Use the resources you have. Yes, aim high but don't give up when you don't have what you "need"... 'cos you already have it.

ussinners: what Zensteve said, basically. The latest technology does not make a great film. It can help, sometimes, but if it's a good film it'll be good whatever it's shot with. 24p is not a magic bullet, and converting 30p to 24p will be a colossal pain in the arse and probably not even look that great.

Bullet-points of the correct method to best shoot for Twixtor? I'd assume alot will rely on the enviroment of the surroundings, to stop warping, colour bleed etc

I've always been flumoxed by it. But we purchased it anyway...

The plainer the background the better - I think that's part of the reason why there are so many shots of BMXers/skateboarders against a clear blue sky. You just want a clean an image as possible, so lowish ISO, high FPS and a fairly fast shutter speed. If you know how much you're going to slow it down while shooting, aim for a 180° shutter: for 60fps played back at 50% or 120fps, aim for a shutter speed of 1/240 or so. Generally speaking, a faster shutter speed while yield better results than slower one, but this can be an issue with light… get up to 1000fps and the appropriate shutter speed (like the Phantom can do for real) and a 1K PAR64 ("firestarter") is just enough for the faint glow of a laptop screen.

The plainer the background the better - I think that's part of the reason why there are so many shots of BMXers/skateboarders against a clear blue sky. You just want a clean an image as possible, so lowish ISO, high FPS and a fairly fast shutter speed. If you know how much you're going to slow it down while shooting, aim for a 180° shutter: for 60fps played back at 50% or 120fps, aim for a shutter speed of 1/240 or so. Generally speaking, a faster shutter speed while yield better results than slower one, but this can be an issue with light… get up to 1000fps and the appropriate shutter speed (like the Phantom can do for real) and a 1K PAR64 ("firestarter") is just enough for the faint glow of a laptop screen.

Excellent!

Cheers, Chilipie. Great tips.

On the slowing footage bit, you certainly can slow down if that is slow enough for you (0.4 times the speed)... if that's not enough, the software will calculate the motion between those frames to get you smoother slower slow motion.

You definitely can make a great movie on anything. Even if I end up shooting on the XL-1, I believe this will be a really good movie.

But, the reason I want to go with 24fps is: Two fairly good distribution companies distinctly declined Us Sinners because it was shot 29.97. They made no bones about it. They loved the movie. They thought it was the best grindhouse picture they saw that year. But the frame rate killed it.

One said it made it an almost impossible sell in the European market. Why? I don't know.

Even American Horrors which signed it asked me "Why the hell didn't you shoot 24fps".

I hopefully won't have that problem this time.

Back