• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Truth about Independent Filmmaking

- Guerrilla Producers: Don’t know the job, don’t have the money and don’t use too much and too often thruth. Truth?

- Entry Fee: Do I need to raise the money from the bank to send my film to the major festivals. Most of Festivals (especially in States) have this entry fee. You cna pay it and send it among thousands other films.

- Who is the “Jury” of the festival and why only bad films get the awards and the entrance.? Who controls this.?
Might wanna replace "only" with "do so many"

You will almost never came so far, so we need to discuss this topic further.
English a second language?

Other film directors usually are not friends of yours. You want but they don’t. Especially among young film directors. They are choosen bad. They continue. Fance, with large
Okay, there are progressively more and more errors in these sentences and the bias isn't entertaining me, so I'm quitting here.

GL

Ray

Yes, I guess I am not good with English language.
But this is not the point.
Thanks for correcting some mistakes, I edit them right away.

I do not think the writer, Slow Gin, has English as his first language. I read what he wrote. Think I was able to understand the thoughts behind the words. What I gather is -- frustration and disappointment while pointing fingers.

My two cents...

That's life.

The best you can hope for? Enjoy what you can, have fun doing whatever it is you do. If you are expecting the world to open it's arms to you and fall to their knees in adoration because you think you are talented, you are wasting your life. Don't look for excuses.

It can take time, talent, sweat, creativity, connections and a whole bunch of luck to get noticed (or any combination with luck). You may have not figured it out, but the world doesn't owe us dog poop. Just keep breathing! As many of our parents told us when we were young, whether you are a plumber or an actor, be the best you can be. There are no guarantees. Remember, it ain't over till its over. Keep breathing...

Personally, I keep doing what I can as best I can while learning as much as possible. Hoping that someday, somehow, something will pay off. Oh, and I try to have as much fun in the process as possible (thought I would say that again). Work can be fun if you allow it to be.

I don't waste time pointing fingers. Or making excuses (although we all get frustrated and disappointed).

The problem with your article is you have taken things you have
read elsewhere and tried to interpret them. But you have
misunderstood most of what you have read.

1 - “Don’t use your own money” does not mean use you family and
friends. It means do NOT use your family and friends. Find
investors. Of course that’s very, very difficult so the first
several films must be self financed.

2 - “Producers” do not give the money to your idea. The reason 99%
of producers do not respond to e-mails is because 99% of
filmmakers do not understand how the business works and send the
wrong e-mails to the wrong people. “Producers” are not the problem - the
independent filmmakers are the problem. Harsh, isn’t it?

4 - How do you know that so many bad films get awards at film
festivals? Can you name 10 bad films that got awards at film
festivals?

6 - this is incomprehensible. Many of my best friends are other
film directors. What do you mean by “Fancy with large.”?

7 - No one wants to help? I’m sorry no one wants to help you. I
have always gotten many very talented, dedicated crew members to
help me. Where do you the idea that “Nobody like films and art.”?
Look around this forum - you will find everybody likes film. Look
around the internet and you will find hundreds of thousands of
websites dedicated to people who like film and art.

8 - I know several “deep underground” independent film sites. If
every one knew about them they would no longer be deep
underground.

9 - What police do you think are guarding this film forum? We have
moderators who keep away the spam - sometimes people who are
continuously abusive are banned. Why is that a bad thing?

10 - I agree with this. To a point. But many, many crowd funding
projects succeed. Do you want to see my list of successful crowd
funding projects?

An excellent attempt. I forgive your grammar - I could not write
an entire sentence in your native language - but your point are
unresearched and many unfounded. They are your opinion and I
respect your opinion - but most can be proven incorrect.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you can take the time to answer my
questions.

9 - What police do you think are guarding this film forum?
I am the Forum Police! Grrrr!!!
GRRRRR, ! say!!!!!

I am... uh... "double clutch, back-skip tracing" your web server as we speak and dispatching a... uh... RECLAMATION OFFICER! to your location.
DO NOT RUN when you hear a knocking at your door!​
Please take off your shoes/sandals, place your hands inside them against the wall and open the door for the Reclamation Officer and you will be returned when your adjustment therapy progress has been judged "Acceptable" by The Forum Tribunal, my friend.

Muah-ha-ha-ha-lol-ack-hack <cough> lol!

Last edited:
I made it through this article.

I hate to say it but this guy is right about some things. Sure, he's speaking out of frustration, anger, and dissapointment, but I think those are somewhat valid feelings in the modern age.

No one cares about you, or art, or progress or anything but their own personal selfishness? That's not filmmaking buddy, that's just growing up in the modern world.

Basically after you turn 26 or so, your value is judged by your wealth from that point forward, by everyone except your biological family.

If you look at the correlating statistics, greed and the willingness to watch others suffer for personal gain has skyrocketed over the last 30 years. In 1981 a top executive would pay themselves the salary of up to 10 of their workers. In 2010 the record was 581:1. That means there is one guy out there absorbing enough salaries to give a small town's worth of people full time jobs and medical care.

How about changing things, surely an intellectual argument based in fact would be persuasive?
So let's say you are the most powerful man on the planet. And you have this idea that we shouldn't let innocent people die in the street so the super rich can buy a third yacht. That seems reasonable. So if you spent 4 years, with more resources than anyone else, you could score one tiny win for unselfishness right?
Socialized medicine, Hollywood agents won't just fail to return your calls, they will actively dress up in tuxedos, drive to a fundraiser, and donate the amount it would cost for your dad to have heart surgery to a guy that will go to washington and fight for the rights of the unfairly overpriveliged. When your dad shows up at the hospital, these same people from the fundraiser will look him in the eye, and say there just isn't enough money to go around.

Ironically, Asimovs laws of robotics show more humnanity than many modern people. Do not allow another person to come to harm through inaction? That's actually a state law in all 50. But our society does that like it's going out of style.

What's the answer? There is no magic answer to your issues. Anyone here could tell you that. You have to put your best foot forward. You have to use your head. You will never beat a path to their door, just be great, and the matrix will find you.

Sorry for all the negativity everyone, thought this guy needed an honest answer, and I'm sick of hearing anyone who gets frustrated called a chump. It's a very frustrating enviroment, it's a natural reaction.

Does this sound off topic? It's not. This guys entire post was written out of angst about how unresponsive the world is, the source of that (though I think Directorik detailed it better) is an apathy from others toward you. It's epidemic. Are things different on this one board? Yes, but don't expect these kind comments and offers to help once you walk out your front door into physical reality.

PS personally I've never been banned from a forum in my life, and I'm crazy outspoken, how do you guys do it?

Last edited:
Nate North,

You said it better than I. AHHH, if wishes were horses, then the middle class and working poor would ride. Used to be beggars. But, we all do a lot more wishing these days?

You said it in a nicer way. Hope the OP can feel a little less frustrated, knowing he's not the only one getting doors slammed on him. That's tough, and it gets tougher when people ignore you or dismiss your frustrations.

You've made your first friend OP. I'll help you with some concept art, just mail me.

I made it through this article.

I hate to say it but this guy is right about some things. Sure, he's speaking out of frustration, anger, and dissapointment, but I think those are somewhat valid feelings in the modern age.

No one cares about you, or art, or progress or anything but their own personal selfishness? That's not filmmaking buddy, that's just growing up in the modern world.

Basically after you turn 26 or so, your value is judged by your wealth from that point forward, by everyone except your biological family.

If you look at the correlating statistics, greed and the willingness to watch others suffer for personal gain has skyrocketed over the last 30 years. In 1981 a top executive would pay themselves the salary of up to 10 of their workers. In 2010 the record was 581:1. That means there is one guy out there absorbing enough salaries to give a small town's worth of people full time jobs and medical care.

How about changing things, surely an intellectual argument based in fact would be persuasive?
So let's say you are the most powerful man on the planet. And you have this idea that we shouldn't let innocent people die in the street so the super rich can buy a third yacht. That seems reasonable. So if you spent 4 years, with more resources than anyone else, you could score one tiny win for unselfishness right?
Socialized medicine, Hollywood agents won't just fail to return your calls, they will actively dress up in tuxedos, drive to a fundraiser, and donate the amount it would cost for your dad to have heart surgery to a guy that will go to washington and fight for the rights of the unfairly overpriveliged. When your dad shows up at the hospital, these same people from the fundraiser will look him in the eye, and say there just isn't enough money to go around.

Ironically, Asimovs laws of robotics show more humnanity than many modern people. Do not allow another person to come to harm through inaction? That's actually a state law in all 50. But our society does that like it's going out of style.

What's the answer? There is no magic answer to your issues. Anyone here could tell you that. You have to put your best foot forward. You have to use your head. You will never beat a path to their door, just be great, and the matrix will find you.

Sorry for all the negativity everyone, thought this guy needed an honest answer, and I'm sick of hearing anyone who gets frustrated called a chump. It's a very frustrating enviroment, it's a natural reaction.

Does this sound off topic? It's not. This guys entire post was written out of angst about how unresponsive the world is, the source of that (though I think Directorik detailed it better) is an apathy from others toward you. It's epidemic. Are things different on this one board? Yes, but don't expect these kind comments and offers to help once you walk out your front door into physical reality.

PS personally I've never been banned from a forum in my life, and I'm crazy outspoken, how do you guys do it?

Just copied this to the hard-drive for future reference in stretches of empathylessness. Thanks! :yes:

There's been a trend the last 10 years where political correctness has introduced a kind of thought policing in our society.

Anyone who says anything negative is a bad person, regardless content. You are not OK unless you are happy with whatever situation you are in.

I strongly disagree. That creates an atmosphere where people have to sit alone and brood with their frustrations. Sometimes like the last poster shows, saying something negative can help other people feel less alone in difficult situations.

I read a study where they said that America was by far the highest country in suicides. The article went on to say that this was caused by the fact that our society withdraws from people as their need, whether it be financial or emotional grows. According to the article, in European culture, people gather around to help someone back to their feet when they get in a rough spot. About 5 years back a researcher covered himself in fake blood and laid out on the side of the 10 in LA for 3 and a half hours. No one stopped to help. They just ignored him and continued on.

So the moral of the story is, whenever someone is out there on the forums that seems disillusioned or discouraged, stop, and help them out

Their comments are niether irrelevant or stupid, but by ignoring guys like OP, people make them feel that way

Last edited:
Excellent observation, Nate.

Check out this gem about lack of empathy.

WOW, arresting people for feeding the starving.

In a nation of obese people.

I can see both sides there, but really, there was no need for things to be like this in the first place.

The idea of turning a whole city into a gated community? Just WOW.

And you know, I think this really relates to the original post. Society moving in so many ways to a reality where everywhere you look there is a sign saying "hey you're not welcome here".

Want to clean up homeless in your city? Quit being elitist #@$%#$%^, and spend money on community centers, mental hospitals, and outreach programs.

If that mental hospital was your spoiled kid that wanted to open a "premium exclusive top shelf vodka bar with DJ's so fantastic that they can play "get low" 70 times in one night" it would have already been funded.

There's 9 of them in my town

Great Example, but this is the one, courtesy Penn and Teller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvNopv9Pa8

Trust fund morons from socal scared some third world governments into declining thousands of tons of donated food. Untold numbers of childred starved to death in agony. The protesters had no facts and just kept yelling things they heard each other say in starbucks, until people actually died from their hipster BS

I would rant about this for a bit, but Pen handled it nicely I think. Also, Allow me to introduce the greatest person in world history...

Last edited:
"It's pretty easy to protest when you're not starving yourself."

It seems common sense has become unpopular with some.

I've been homeless. I've been a busker, but never a panhandler. I used to offer to buy the panhandlers food rather than giving them change. That was an excellent way to weed through the career panhandlers to the actual homeless.

Overall, I like to think that people are good. I mean, there are plenty of people who assume that if you are busking, you are homeless. And I was ethical enough to say "hey, that guy on the next corner IS homeless, so if you want to buy a sandwich, give it to him". I like to think that someone lying bleeding in Pittsburgh wouldn't go unnoticed, but that LA experience would likely be go the same way here.

Wow, have we veered off topic.
I read a study where they said that America was by far the highest country in suicides.
As of 2010
Lithuania - 42.0 per 100,000
Russia - 37.4 per 100,000
Belarus - 35.0 per 100,000
Latvia - 34.3 per 100,000
Estonia - 33.2 per 100,000
Hungary - 32.1 per 100,000
Slovenia - 30.9 per 100,000
Ukraine - 29.4 per 100,000
Kazakhstan - 28.7 per 100,000
Finland - 24.3 per 100,000

The US didn't even make the top 10 of suicides. We hit 39 behind France,