• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer for my first Feature Film, "The Mix-In"

Hi everyone! I wanted to share the trailer for my first feature film, "The Mix-In." It was shot using a Sony V1 and a Letus Extreme, and was edited and onlined with both FCP and AE. This was shot in 27 days, which includes 2 days of re-shoots with a micro budget of just $6200.00! It was edited for a Sundance rough cut (which was almost exactly the same as the final cut of the film) in just 18 days including all visual effects and color correction, and has a running time of 90 minutes! Everyone on the film worked incredibly hard to pull this off. The link will take you to the flash version of the trailer, but there are other versions, including full high def 1080P, if you click on the 'Trailer' tab at the top of the page.

I would love to hear some thoughts or if you have any questions feel free to ask! Thanks!

-KHF

Main website link:

www.TheMix-In.com

Flash Trailer link:

http://web.me.com/knuckleheadfilms/The_Mix-In/Trailer_Flash_Vrs.html

OK, congrats on the miracle of doing a feature film. Seriously it's tough, veryyyyyy tough. Again congrats.

What I like: Your guts to pull off a micro budget indie film. Most people just crack under the pressure of that kind of project. They don't feel secure enough. So they wait till somebody will back them. You, you just did it, you overcome your fear of being rejected as a filmmaker, that a big step.

What I don't like: most of it. I will tell you why. Take it as constructive critics, because when you put stuff out there, accept It will be judge severely.

Based on the trailer:

Acting: Feel generic and unpolished. I did not felt any craft, I just saw people trying hard, to hard. Acting is about make believe, I did not believe them, so for me it fail.

Trailer structure: To much establishing at the start and nothing to close every windows opened. Every time you establish something you open a window. You need to let the air come in from that window and close it after. If I was you, I will reedit your trailer as a teaser. Teaser doesn't need real structure like a trailer.

Cinematography: I think it worked. But With a little more time I could be better with what you have in term of equipment. I think the error was you did not research for a better result that was fitting with your time schedule. If you know you will shoot fast, you need to find an aesthetic that will look good with the limitation you have. And It did not felt crime genre in term of lighting.

Production design: I t felt no real research was done. It looked to munch like middle class average American setup. Generic props and costumes, generic locations ect. This is what can kill you when you are from a middle class ( I don't know if you are, but it feel like you are) Because you choose what you know in term of props, costumes and location. But you should put your self in the perspective of your characters. In your trailer, it's clear you did not research on crime people. Most of your stuff is base on other movies and your life. You should do research, it only cost time. You can easily find stuff that fit your characters and setting for cheap.

Bottom point: I think you have the good mind set, you just need to make your homework. Pictures have multiple layers, and you have to learn about every aspect of each layer. But first you have to know each layers. I think you should make wayyyy more research before starting a project, Rodriguez ere is over, now you have to be damn good to get notice.

Good luck

Sorry for the fuck top English :P

R.

You make some good points Belenger...however...

Although I do agree the acting is 'acty' (meaning 'watch me act'), I think it's better than the majority of micro budget films. I didn't see the supporting or featured cast, but the leads look like they do a decent job.

I think the production design was OK...you can tell actual thought was put into wardrobe and locations...nothing extraordinary, but nonetheless, for the budget and demographic, a suitable amount of thought went into production design.

Cinematography...wasn't bad. It was actually lit. OMG! Most micro-budget films think a practical setup will do...and a lot of us know it simply won't. I mean, this film may not be photographed by Jordan Cronenweth, but it's not bad.

Bottom line...it ain't magical, it ain't inspirational...but from what I can tell by the trailer, it does what it needs to do.

Bottom line...it ain't magical, it ain't inspirational...but from what I can tell by the trailer, it does what it needs to do.

Probably on your perspective, but not on mine, sorry my eyes are sensitive :P
;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I actually really like getting constructive criticism, and in fact the film itself has had 2 major scenes completely re-worked because of some great feedback I received on it :)

There's only a couple of the comments I thought I would talk about the decisions behind them, so that if someone else tries to do a feature they might be able to avoid the same problems or understand why they are the way they are.

The first thing someone who is thinking about doing this sort of project should be wondering is, how far does $6200.00 US go?

Not far. Here's our budget breakdown so people can have an idea:

100 tapes $350.

6 1.5 TB hard drives $780

Steadicam Merlin $2400

Drobo hard drive manager $350

Food for cast and crew for 27 days $800

Props and wardrobe $400

Music licensing costs $200

Firewire multi-port adapter $40

Canon HV30 back-up camera package $880

As you can see, the majority of the budget went for production equipment to help add to the overall production value.

"And It did not felt crime genre in term of lighting."

Well, this isn't a noir film, and having a minimal budget changes a lot of what can be done in terms of lighting. So the decision was made very early on to do the lighting in a very naturalistic way, which meant we simply amplified the natural lighting using what we had available to us, which was a couple thousand watts of work lights and then whatever lights were at our various locations.

"But you should put your self in the perspective of your characters. In your trailer, it's clear you did not research on crime people. Most of your stuff is base on other movies and your life."

There is one slightly over-the-top character, but otherwise the crime people that are in the film are very, very real. The fact is that no research beyond my own life experiences was needed here. My grand father and cousin are both with the State Police, and my uncle is a Detective in Homicide/Child Abuse. One of my brothers killed himself because he couldn't kick his cocaine habit, and another one of my brothers is currently a homeless heroin addict. I've seen, met and had to deal with more "crime people" than most people have even seen in movies. Hollywood never gets it right. Not even in the so-called true stories. So when you say that most of it is based on my life, I say you're absolutely right, but when you say it's clear I did not research crime people, I say you have no clue what you're talking about on this one.

So when you say that most of it is based on my life, I say you're absolutely right, but when you say it's clear I did not research crime people, I say you have no clue what you're talking about on this one.

Great, very great you done your research. You are better then I taught :)
So it make me wondering from were that feeling came. Maybe is the title or the movie logo on your website, but something gave me the impression that you did not researched. But very glad you did, this is your number 1 tool to make a story interesting. And you have to keep in mind my critics are based on the trailer and not the actual picture, so at this point is all about impressions.

Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I actually really like getting constructive criticism, and in fact the film itself has had 2 major scenes completely re-worked because of some great feedback I received on it :)

There's only a couple of the comments I thought I would talk about the decisions behind them, so that if someone else tries to do a feature they might be able to avoid the same problems or understand why they are the way they are.

The first thing someone who is thinking about doing this sort of project should be wondering is, how far does $6200.00 US go?

Not far. Here's our budget breakdown so people can have an idea:

100 tapes $350.

6 1.5 TB hard drives $780

Steadicam Merlin $2400

Drobo hard drive manager $350

Food for cast and crew for 27 days $800

Props and wardrobe $400

Firewire multi-port adapter $40

Canon HV30 back-up camera package $880

As you can see, the majority of the budget went for production equipment to help add to the overall production value.

"And It did not felt crime genre in term of lighting."

Well, this isn't a noir film, and having a minimal budget changes a lot of what can be done in terms of lighting. So the decision was made very early on to do the lighting in a very naturalistic way, which meant we simply amplified the natural lighting using what we had available to us, which was a couple thousand watts of work lights and then whatever lights were at our various locations.

"But you should put your self in the perspective of your characters. In your trailer, it's clear you did not research on crime people. Most of your stuff is base on other movies and your life."

There is one slightly over-the-top character, but otherwise the crime people that are in the film are very, very real. The fact is that no research beyond my own life experiences was needed here. My grand father and cousin are both with the State Police, and my uncle is a Detective in Homicide/Child Abuse. One of my brothers killed himself because he couldn't kick his cocaine habit, and another one of my brothers is currently a homeless heroin addict. I've seen, met and had to deal with more "crime people" than most people have even seen in movies. Hollywood never gets it right. Not even in the so-called true stories. So when you say that most of it is based on my life, I say you're absolutely right, but when you say it's clear I did not research crime people, I say you have no clue what you're talking about on this one.

Highlighted some thing I wanted to talk about.

Why 1.5TB drives? Did you shoot 1080? I usualy round out at about 40-50Gigs after a 12 hour shoot day on 720p, with 8 mnutes of footage after cut. 1.5TB seems a little big, or were you just playing it safe?

and $800 for 27 days of meals?! That's nuts! How many cast/crew did you have/meals a day
Even with a 20ish person crew with only 2 meals its hard for me to spend under $200/day (including snacks/drinks)

On a 27 day shoot? No way. Catering. Food is important, you will be replacing cast and crew members if you try to pull off pizza and bagels for 27 days.

On a 27 day shoot? No way. Catering. Food is important, you will be replacing cast and crew members if you try to pull off pizza and bagels for 27 days.

You mix it up a little of course. Nobody likes pizza every day. I'm talking about the same price level...

Also, what big budge film set are you referring to? :) There are a ton of sets I've worked on that don't even feed you. Yes, it's true. I'm never happy about it, but sometimes you stick it out (bring your own food).

If it's a 27 day straight shoot, then I imagine it has a little bit of a budget...and is a paying gig. Production companies know that most actors (who aren't union and getting steady work) have day jobs...hiring actors that can do a straight shoot means pay and benefits...I would expect catering of some kind on a set like this--even if it's Subway every day.

The thing is, if you're barely paying people you have to feed them well. It's respect. Food goes a long way. People complain about airline food when they're only on the plane for two hours. Imagine being on the set for 14 hours and getting bagels and pizza (or other cheap food). No way. You can work out catering deals with film caterers, or use local joints, but film caterers are better prepared to deal with film (hours, etc.)

I fed my crew for a week shoot (8 days) on a budget of around $300.

Costco/Walmart is amazing.

DRINKS: Bottled. Water.
+Kool Aid packs, water flavorers.
+Coffee
+Vodka (on occasions)
+Beer (was BYOB)

Breakfast:
-Oatmeal, Bread (aka toast), penut butter, jelly, croissants, coffee, apples

Lunch:
-Sandwiches (again, make your own, we just laid out ingredients) (pbj, meatloaf, ham)
-Chips, Salsa, Cookies, Banana Bread, Zucchini bread
-Salads

Dinners:
-Hot Dogs
-Rice
-Pasta
-Meatloaf
-Curry Chicken (courtesy of Bill's mom)
-Pizza (ordered on 2 days)

And we also told people to bring their own stash of food in case it wasn't up to their taste or they were still hungry. Most people just attacked the chips despite my insistence the meatloaf was prime.

Either way, people ate and they were in a good mood. There was always food there. It surprised me how many people were afraid of the apples.

Very important- feed your crew. I was worried too- the last day I was BROKE... $29 in my account and I ordered $27 worth of pizza. That was $20 I was planning to use to buy the location owner a 24 of beer, but had to spend it because no one wanted meatloaf again and I had to make crew happy before my bank, LOL. Ended up working out anyway!

As long as there is plenty of variety, real meals (hot meals), and proper meal breaks. You also need a stocked craft service table for snacking.

CDCosta I capture using Apple ProRes 422 HQ setting, which uses about 60 gigs an hour, and we used 125 tapes (I already had 25 tapes, so that was not counted in the budget), which worked out to about 7TB of space just for capture. Then after that the rest has been used for renders of any VFX shots, color correction tests, music/score wav's, photos (we took like 40 gigs of photos lol), and behind the scenes video stuff, and all the other msc. stuff. One full-quality render of the rough cut used 91 gigs of space alone. Everything is being done at full high-def, so it's just eating up space like crazy lol. I'm also one of those filmmakers that does not dump anything, because you never know what you might end up using. After the rough cut, when I started work on the final cut, I ended up going back and using some stuff that I had first written off in my furiously paced editing to make the Sundance deadline. We also plan on having some exhaustive behind-the-scenes stuff, including a documentary, deleted scenes (we already have three), a gag reel and more for the DVD and Blu-Ray versions we will be putting out.

To answer the other question, when we had our first table read, we sat down with the actors and discussed the way everything would work. Even though we did have a small budget, and several of the actors were professional actors and the rest did have day jobs, no one was paid up front on the film. The actors loved the script and agreed to do it for free up front on the chance that in the end they might make something from the film either getting a theatrical release or from video sales. We also explained how the meals would work, which was:

Water was always available, as were various soda's, coffee, Gatorade and juices. We also always had some healthier snacks available, such as various granola bars and fruits.

If the shoot started before 10 a.m., then a breakfast would be provided. Usually this was either some breakfast bars, bagels or donuts.

If the shoot started after 10 a.m., then lunch would be provided, and that usually consisted of either sandwiches (both meats and PB&J's), old-fashioned hot dogs, hamburgers and then some sort of chips. Occasionally there was pizzas provided, and some of our locations provided free meals for us, which helped out wonderfully! One place even, on 2 separate occasions, made us all a free huge buffet lunch, which was amazing!

If the shoot ran past 6 p.m., then a dinner was provided. The dinners varied from (again) hot dogs and hamburgers, beans, chips, pasta salads, and pizzas.

Sams Club and Costco were our best friends. We went on 3 major food runs, and since our actors didn't eat much (they are actors, after all lol), most of the food was eaten by the crew. The actors would mostly just snack throughout the day, and drink lots of sodas and water and coffee.

We really lucked out by having an extremely dedicated cast and crew, who not only believed in the film, but understood the end goal completely. Two of our actors do no other work besides act, so I'm sure for them this was a big deal to go that long without a paid gig, but they never once complained, even when we needed them for re-shoots. One of them has done a ton of stuff for MTV and the other one has worked on 2 Coen brothers films, and they did phenomenal jobs.

It's funny because earlier in the summer I had been working on another Sundance entry, this time a short written and directed by someone else (I was the DP and Editor), and this shoot had just 3 actors in the film, and 2 of them were fine with whatever, but one of them was much more . . .picky let's say, and he demanded all sorts of craft services stuff. Tons of snacks, food catered in everyday etc. Which was odd because that short was a no-budget film. The cat who wrote and was directing it had to borrow a ton of cash from his folks just to feed this one actor, and we only shot 11 days total! After we had cast our film, he approached me and asked why I didn't ask him to be involved, as he was a good actor (he has been in several national commercials and some really great shorts) and I got along well with him. I had to explain as gently as I could to him that I simply couldn't have afforded him. He understood, and simply said there were some things he thought actors were 'owed', and that catered food was one of them.

I've worked on plenty of sets where we had full craft services tables, and plenty that couldn't even afford to feed us, so we just had to bring our own food. Speaking for myself of course, I'm fine either way. If there's enough of a budget for food and meals to be provided, great, if not, no problem. I would have to eat either way, so it's not a big deal to me if I have to bring my own lunch. And I know from speaking with my cast and crews along my various projects that the vast majority of them feel the same, as long as they believe in the project and good working conditions are provided, they're happy. But sometimes you run into actors that refuse to work unless they are more pampered, and then the filmmaker has to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. In the case of the actor I mentioned above, it just wasn't. Sure he could act and people may have recognized him, but he also required a lot more work to get good performances out of and would have easily cost us an additional grand or two, just because he expects to be pampered. Even if we had the budget to pay for his needs, I would have been hard pressed to hire him, as I could have used that money to up the production value even more, which would have been great.

IT, i think NYC/LA is a bit different. theres so many productions, if ppl dont get fed right or proper breaks, they walk off set

Could you elaborate on what that got you, and from where? (ie: main theme? Song playing in a jukebox?)

A common question on the forum is about cost of licensing; most don't.

Thanks for detailing all the previous answers, too. :cool:

CDCosta I know if we had used union actors we would definitely have had to provide certain things, but non-union actors don't have the same rules. :)

Zensteve, no problem. I used to have a ton of questions on getting music licensed for my films, and no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer lol.

So far for the film, we have several songs that we were able to get the rights to, including 'Low' by Cracker and 'Candles' by Dirty Vegas, to name a few. Getting an artist or label to grant you the rights to use their song is actually not too hard, if you can get ahold of them. That's the hardest part. Smaller artists are the easiest to reach, and most can be contacted directly through their websites. Bigger artists are tougher, and you may need to track down some contact info on their label's site. A few sites (like The Doors official site, as an example) actually have the licensing forms for you to download and fill out right there. Most do not. There are a few sites that supposedly help you get contact info, but most are not up to date or charge a fee.

You need to get yourselves a really good music licensing contract for the artists/labels to sign. This covers your butt legally, and proves you have the right to use their song. Most labels will also have their own contract for you to sign as well.

Many artists (like Cracker, Dirty Vegas and Alexi Murdoch) have allowed me to use their songs absolutely free of charge, because I was so passionate about my projects. That's what the artists seem to care about. That someone has a film that they are so proud of, and so passionate about, and they feel that using that particular artist's song will give so much depth and emotion to the shot/scene that the film just wouldn't be the same without the song in it.

Labels, on the other hand, almost always want money. That's why I always try to circumvent the label and deal directly with the artist. Artists understand other artists. Labels understand cash money.

Some artists and/or their labels will only grant you licenses for festivals, and if your film gets picked up for distribution then the distributing company will re-negotiate with the artist/label to keep the song in the film.

In general, and I do mean this in the broadest sense of the term, I have found that if I do have to pay a license fee, it is "generally" 1 half of 1 percent of my total budget. That's .5% of the budget, or in my film's case, that would be $31.00 of the budget. Not too bad to get a known artist's song in the film.

Now, some labels and artists will flat out laugh in your face when you tell them your budget. For this film, I had one guy from the label of a semi-known group laugh and tell me the band who's song I wanted was used to getting thousands for their song, and their was no way they would even deal with me, and then he hung up on me after claiming I wasted his time. Be prepared for this, because it happens probably 25% of the time.

Also, getting an artist to grant you permission to use their song for a specific shot/scene does NOT mean you can use it for marketing/advertising, so keep that in mind. That's a separate thing, and requires spesific permission, which they can absolutely grant you, but it must be specified in the contract.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

One other thing regarding music licensing:

After you send your email to the artist or label asking for permission to use a song, be patient! Remember that, especially in the case of a musician, they might not be able to get back to you for awhile. If their site says they are on tour, forget trying to reach them and go for the label, because it could be a year before you hear back from them, if ever.

There are many, many songs I have tried to get that I never could reach someone to talk to about it, and in the indie biz, that's kind of the way it seems to go. So don't get discouraged if you never hear back from someone. Always have a back up song or 12 lol.

Once you do send that email, wait at least 1 business week before attempting a second contact. Then another 2 or 3 days before trying again. I usually try 3 times, and then move on. You have to figure some of these companies or artists just simply don't care about your little film, no matter how hard you've worked on it. Rejection is just part of the business, and we all have to accept it :cool:

Edit*

Forgot another thing lol.

Do not underestimate the power of your local indie music scene! You can find tons of great artists on sites like myspace by doing a simple search. And before you dismiss it as bad music, consider this: They are struggling to get their work known just like you. I have found so much local music talent for this film it's insane, and all of it was obtained for free, because the artists were so excited for a chance to get their music out there!

Last edited:
Back