top-list Top 5 Comedies

This topic is close to my heart. I love comedy. I love to laugh, and I think that there is no such thing as a cheap or tasteless joke, as long as it makes someone laugh.

So what's your top 5 comedies and why? I'll start, in no particular order:

Arthur This might be my favorite film of all time. Non-stop laughs. Every character is hilarious and the writing is wow, ok. Even the sequel was pretty good, although not as brilliant as the first. Love that the 'lesson' from the film is that you can remain a drunk and still keep your fortune and get the girl :)

Dr Strangelove This really doesn't need an explanation.

The Graduate Some folks may not consider this a comedy, and I would agree that the second half of the film wasn't. But wow, the first half is just so awkwardly great.

The Producers (1969) Wonderful showbiz comedy. I love all of Mel Brooks stuff, but this, his first film, is still his best. I wish I knew how he managed to write his first (finished) feature script and convinced a producer to let him direct and have final cut. What?! How awesome would that be?!

A Fish Called Wanda We all knew that John Cleese was hilarious, but Kevin Kline? I was unawares until I saw this film. A wonderful zainy romp.

Some honorable mentions:

I Love You to Death
Some Like it Hot
Young Frankenstein
The Jerk
The Auteur
Bullworth
Good Morning Vietnam
Mrs Doubtfire

EDIT: Some more:

The Big Lebowski
Christopher Guest films
Noises Off
Goonies

What are yours?

Last edited:
This is surprisingly difficult for me. Top 5? I dunno. I guess I'm realizing that comedies aren't typically my favorite. I'm not saying I don't love laughing my ass off. I'm just examining my personal favorites list, and it sure is sci-fi heavy.

"Team America" -- Because it is intelligent, crass, and absurd, all at the same time. And, it has the greatest actor ever -- Arec Barwin.

I will say this -- glad you posted your list. I'm about to watch "Arthur".

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. Animal House
3. Airplane!
4. Half Baked
5. This Is Spinal Tap

Honorable Mentions: A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
3. I Love You, Man
4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
5. Step Brothers (juvenile but hilarious)

I'd like to put down Being John Malkovich (which is amazing) but it's more just a strange dramedy.

The Life of Brian (Monty Python)
The Three Musketeers (1973 version, directed by Richard Lester)
I Love You To Death (Kevin Kline, directed by Lawrence Kasdan)
Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)
What's Up Doc? (Streisand and O'Neal)

Honorable Mention:

A Fish Called Wanda
Weekend at Bernie's
Noises Off

Mystery Men - extremely underrated, imo.

Life of Brian - Monty Python's best film. (Most seem to prefer Holy Grail, but whatever)

Three Amigos - Just good silly fun for the whole family.

Porky's - My generation's American Pie film, I guess. The classic "coming of age + titties" combo.

The Great Dictator - not only funny in it's own right, but also a very serious look at (then) current events.

You only get short "why's", today. :)

You guys think I'm joking.
I'm not.

I love the chief of security and I quote him with my friends constantly.

"Looks like diplomacy has failed."

"I want this high and tight. I want to be home for dinner".

Comedy isn't usually my thing, but...

Army of Darkness
Galaxy Quest
Adaptation
IQ
As Good as it Gets

Groundhog Day
MP's Holy Grail
MP's Life of Brian
Antz

This is surprisingly difficult for me. Top 5? I dunno. I guess I'm realizing that comedies aren't typically my favorite. I'm not saying I don't love laughing my ass off. I'm just examining my personal favorites list, and it sure is sci-fi heavy.

"Team America" -- Because it is intelligent, crass, and absurd, all at the same time. And, it has the greatest actor ever -- Arec Barwin.

I will say this -- glad you posted your list. I'm about to watch "Arthur".

Cool, let me know how it goes :)

I haven't seen Team America yet, but I've heard good things. It's a war satire, right?

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. Animal House
3. Airplane!
4. Half Baked
5. This Is Spinal Tap

Honorable Mentions: A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman

OMG, how could I leave out Christopher Guest? I freakin love his work, although a lot of the success of those, IMO, is really really great casting.

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
3. I Love You, Man
4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
5. Step Brothers (juvenile but hilarious)

I'd like to put down Being John Malkovich (which is amazing) but it's more just a strange dramedy.

I Love You, Man was surprisingly funny and entertaining. But I gotta say that Dogma is my favorite Kevin Smith film. Clerks is funny and good, but Dogma is totally it for me.

The Life of Brian (Monty Python)
The Three Musketeers (1973 version, directed by Richard Lester)
I Love You To Death (Kevin Kline, directed by Lawrence Kasdan)
Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)
What's Up Doc? (Streisand and O'Neal)

Honorable Mention:

A Fish Called Wanda
Weekend at Bernie's
Noises Off

Noises Off was fantastic! Like Arthur, I never stopped laughing throughout that.

lol, which reminds me, when my bf and I were watching it for the first time, he turns to me at one point and says, referring to Christopher Reeves, "Was this before he got paralyzed?" LOL

Dumb and Dumber
Three Amigos
Ferris Beuler
Holy Grail
Swingers
Tropic Thunder

Honorable Mention:

Yeah, Ferris Beuler probably makes my top 20, for sure. Holy Grail is pretty much the only Python that I like. But I can't believe you (and me, too actually) forgot to put Goonies on the list! That definitely qualifies as a comedy.

Mallrats
Galaxy Quest
Stripes
40 year old virgin
Scary Movie 2

Just recently watch Galaxy Quest for the first time since it came out. I had completely forgotten that it was really mostly a comedy/spoof. So much funnier than I remember.

I haven't seen Stripes since I was a little kid, but I'll never forget the part where he's driving the cab and says something like 'shouldn't'a had so much cough syrup this morning' to scare the old lady. lol

Bill Murray has made some funny ones. What About Bob?

Mystery Men - extremely underrated, imo.

Life of Brian - Monty Python's best film. (Most seem to prefer Holy Grail, but whatever)

Three Amigos - Just good silly fun for the whole family.

Porky's - My generation's American Pie film, I guess. The classic "coming of age + titties" combo.

The Great Dictator - not only funny in it's own right, but also a very serious look at (then) current events.

You only get short "why's", today. :)

I remember watching my parents copy of Porky's as a little kid. I've had to unlearn to much that that film taught me :lol:

Back