• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

dialogue Thoughts on VO narration?

I've gotten a lot of feedback on one of my short scripts and the one consistent theme is that nobody likes the voice-over narration.

Modern audiences seem programmed against VO narration, especially the third-person omnipresent narration that I chose to use. This I can understand. Plenty of writers use it like concrete to fill in the gaps generated by their lazy writing. There are also poorly made films that consist almost entirely of VO in the place of a story. See Neil Breen's infamous Double Down. Repeat exposure to this kind of terrible writing has put a bad taste in people's mouths.

But I think VO narration can be used well. When it does more than tell us what we're seeing. When it gives us special insight into the inner workings of the story. And, needless to say, when it's well-written.

Most examples of good VOs come straight from characters. Bateman's in American Psycho. Alex's in A Clockwork Orange. The various characters in The Tree of Life. These work because they do more than tell us what's happening; they give us insight into the character's state of mind beyond that which would read through subtext alone.

I argue that the same can be done with third-person omnipresent VO narration. And, despite all the backlash, I'm still married to the VO narration in my script. It's very functional. It reaffirms the protagonist. It gives special insight into her troubled state, something I can otherwise only hint at through subtext. It sets the mood and establishes the genre. And, in the end, it delivers the film's moral.

Sorry to go on a personal rant, but I've been thinking a lot about this and I wanted to get my thoughts out there.

What do you think about VO narration?

I've gotten a lot of feedback on one of my short scripts and the one consistent theme is that nobody likes the voice-over narration.

Modern audiences seem programmed against VO narration, especially the third-person omnipresent narration that I chose to use. This I can understand. Plenty of writers use it like concrete to fill in the gaps generated by their lazy writing. There are also poorly made films that consist almost entirely of VO in the place of a story. See Neil Breen's infamous Double Down. Repeat exposure to this kind of terrible writing has put a bad taste in people's mouths.

But I think VO narration can be used well. When it does more than tell us what we're seeing. When it gives us special insight into the inner workings of the story. And, needless to say, when it's well-written.

Most examples of good VOs come straight from characters. Bateman's in American Psycho. Alex's in A Clockwork Orange. The various characters in The Tree of Life. These work because they do more than tell us what's happening; they give us insight into the character's state of mind beyond that which would read through subtext alone.

I argue that the same can be done with third-person omnipresent VO narration. And, despite all the backlash, I'm still married to the VO narration in my script. It's very functional. It reaffirms the protagonist. It gives special insight into her troubled state, something I can otherwise only hint at through subtext. It sets the mood and establishes the genre. And, in the end, it delivers the film's moral.

Sorry to go on a personal rant, but I've been thinking a lot about this and I wanted to get my thoughts out there.

What do you think about VO narration?
I'm mostly on the NO narration train. I say mostly because some stories written in a GFX Novel style or Film Noir can take on a unique flavor with narration. The classic down on your luck detective story wouldn't be the same without narration that starts of with ' "It was a dark and stormy night..." LOL. I recently wrote some stories in the Twilight zone style and got some blow back on the narration in the beginning and they were right. The narration ultimately wasn't needed.

It's a funny thing, people say they hate voice over narration and then in the same breath they'll say shawshank redemption is one of the greatest films ever made lol

Tons of voice over narration in that film.

IDK why it gets all the hate, some of my favorite movies of all time have voice over narration

Fight Club is a brilliant film.
usual suspects was written by my favorite contemporary film maker

It can be used lazily to tell things instead of show - ANYTHING can be misused if you ask me
Voice over narration when used properly produces amazing films and i don't think anyone can argue otherwise
Shawshank is my all-time favorite movie, but I am not sure it is because of the voice over. I would love to see a cut of this movie without voice over (similar to the final cut of blade runner).

Not completely convinced Shawshank needed the voice over to be as well regarded as it is -- it's great for a great many other reasons

Last edited:
Shawshank is my all-time favorite movie, but I am not sore it is because of the voice over. I would love to see a cut of this movie without voice over (similar to the final cut of blade runner).

Not completely convinced Shawshank needed the voice over to be as well regarded as it is -- it's great for a great many other reasons
One of the most memorable scenes from that film IMO is the voice over of RED talking about the opera singers

Last edited:
I've been catching up on one of my favorite long-term series - Grey's Anatomy.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413573/reference/

Any semi-regular viewer knows that every episode opens and closes with voice over narration, 95% (more or less) by lead character Meredith Grey, played by Ellen Pompeo. I've come to appreciate & look forward to the insights on medicine, family, love, and death in those brief narrations.

Are they essential? I guess not. But there an indelible part of the show and I think that including them since the 1st episode of the 1st season (the show is currently in its 19th season, although there's been plenty of cast turnover) has been a great choice.

I tried watching a show Pushing Daisies yesterday

It was remarkable how much the narrator ruined the show for me, it was the absolute worst execution and attempt and VO narration I've ever experienced.

For example when the two main characters meet, the narrator spends five seconds describing an interesting dramatic meeting of the two characters, and then takes us to watch a boring diner conversation without any drama instead... like wow what the fuck. You're talking about the interesting stuff and showing us the boring stuff, I can't even stand it. This should probably could have been okay but I turned it off. Hated it.

Back