• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

This is a doozy. Does anyone know? Vegas 11 editing for a commercial

Good morning. This is driving me crazy. Has anyone ever produced a tv ad using Vegas 11?
I guess I need to know if its me, the camera I am using (a cheap one) or that I need a pro editing system.
Here are the requirements to run a 30 second commercial:

Mpeg 2 Transport Stream
Frame 29.97
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Width/height: 720 x 480
Chroma: 4:2:0
Interlace: Upper/Top field first
Audio: Mpeg layer 2
Audio Sampler: 48khz
Audio bit: 192k

This is for local tv commercials. I wanted to edit my own and not use a production crew. The cable company forwarded me the above list along with other requirements.
I tested some footage I have on Vegas and when I tried to render it I could not get the above all at once.

To be frank, all of that is new to me. I never paid much attention to all those details but I am hoping someone on here can educate me. Perhaps I need a prosumer camera to achieve that. Or I need a professional editing system.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Are you asking how to setup your project or render a standard NTSC DVD format? It's easy with Vegas. Select new and setup your preferences. To render, click on File, Render, select avi, quicktime, mpeg, or any of the vast selections of formats, then go into the preference screne and setup you video aspect ratio and video mode.

In Vegas Pro 8, Vegas defaults to NTSC 4:3. When working with HD, you have to open up you Pan/Crop screne to change all Vegas generated media from 4:3 to 16:9 ratio.

That goes for generating text and solid color backgrounds.

They actually don't want a dvd at all. Either I upload it or hand it to them on Betamax (believe it or not) or a mini dv tape.

The list I wrote above is the rendering. They wont even blink an eye at it if it doesn't have all those stats the way they want them.

When I try to render any video on vegas 11...I cannot get all those stats at once. I may get the 720x480 and 29.97 fps but the interlace will be lower field first (instead of upper). On top of which...I cannot get anything that comes out 12mbps.

So all of that is foreign but when rendering I can read the display at the bottom that gives me all the stats. I am wondering if this isn't a job for a pro editing system or a pro camera.

I would be willing to download a free trial of Vegas pro but it wouldn't do me any good if I required a pro camera to work with...I just want to know if its me, the system, the camera or all three. I have emailed Sony Vegas with that question and awaiting a response.

Thanks for the replies!

I have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10; paid less than $100 for it. I just took a quick look, and I was able to get all of the required settings listed above. So, I think you probably just have the entry-level Vegas, is that correct?

Download a trial. They're free!

Based on your description of the problem, I can't imagine the camera is at fault. Although, I am curious -- which camera are you working with?

output formats dont care what the input is... (its transcoding) or else you could not use titles, etc.. see my point.. anyway..

You can do it. Just take it one step at a time..

Dont forget you can call your software tech support for this kinda help. Its what they live for!

I have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10; paid less than $100 for it. I just took a quick look, and I was able to get all of the required settings listed above. So, I think you probably just have the entry-level Vegas, is that correct?

Download a trial. They're free!

Based on your description of the problem, I can't imagine the camera is at fault. Although, I am curious -- which camera are you working with?

I have Vegas 11. Actually its correct title is : Vegas Movie Studio HD Platnum 11. I paid about the same. What is it I am doing wrong?

output formats dont care what the input is... (its transcoding) or else you could not use titles, etc.. see my point.. anyway..

You can do it. Just take it one step at a time..

Dont forget you can call your software tech support for this kinda help. Its what they live for!

Makes sense. I was thinking about that today and thought it didn't make any sense it would be the camera.

I can't call them because I work the same hours they operate so I did email them. Vegas is normally pretty good about getting back.

I have Vegas 11. Actually its correct title is : Vegas Movie Studio HD Platnum 11. I paid about the same. What is it I am doing wrong?

When you choose your export settings, select MPEG2 first, then you gotta choose "custom", and move between the tabs to find the settings to adjust.

If 10 can do it, I would have to think that 11 can do it.

This is what I have been doing (in practice right now).
Opening a new project.
Dragging any footage to the timeline.
Click on project on the upper left
Then click on render as
I have clicked on Mpeg 2 and also avi
Then it asks for template and I go down and click on each one. In the box at the bottom it reads off the stats. None of them list all the requirements that I listed above. I cannot seem to find one that matches that.

So what am I doing wrong?

When you choose your export settings, select MPEG2 first, then you gotta choose "custom", and move between the tabs to find the settings to adjust.

If 10 can do it, I would have to think that 11 can do it.

I must be missing something here. Where do I find export settings? I am going to the wrong place. I am going to 'render as'

This is what I have been doing (in practice right now).
Opening a new project.
Dragging any footage to the timeline.
Click on project on the upper left
Then click on render as
I have clicked on Mpeg 2 and also avi
Then it asks for template and I go down and click on each one. In the box at the bottom it reads off the stats. None of them list all the requirements that I listed above. I cannot seem to find one that matches that.

So what am I doing wrong?

I dunno. I gotta run, at the moment. But later tonight, I can do a couple screen-grabs to just show you what I'm doing, if the problem hasn't been solved by then.

Okay thanks. Don't run too fast. Be careful of the storm.

I will fool around with it but sometimes I have to step away for a moment because sometimes I can't see the obvious.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, I use Vegas Pro 8, but I'd bet not that much has changed in this department. Hopefully this infographic will help :)

infographic.jpg

Production is back-burnered a the moment :(. But I'm still writing more sketches as they come.

I'm actually wondering, what with winter somewhat around the corner, if my money would be better spent (what there is of it) on my 'Stockholm Santa' short. Which is easily my favorite short I've written.

How long are ya gonna be state-side?

I see.

I remember you talking abt Stockholm Santa but i cant remember whether i read it or not. Link?

And im living here now with frequent trips back to Europe instead of living there and making trips here.

Back