• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

This is a doozy. Does anyone know? Vegas 11 editing for a commercial

Good morning. This is driving me crazy. Has anyone ever produced a tv ad using Vegas 11?
I guess I need to know if its me, the camera I am using (a cheap one) or that I need a pro editing system.
Here are the requirements to run a 30 second commercial:

Mpeg 2 Transport Stream
Frame 29.97
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Width/height: 720 x 480
Chroma: 4:2:0
Interlace: Upper/Top field first
Audio: Mpeg layer 2
Audio Sampler: 48khz
Audio bit: 192k

This is for local tv commercials. I wanted to edit my own and not use a production crew. The cable company forwarded me the above list along with other requirements.
I tested some footage I have on Vegas and when I tried to render it I could not get the above all at once.

To be frank, all of that is new to me. I never paid much attention to all those details but I am hoping someone on here can educate me. Perhaps I need a prosumer camera to achieve that. Or I need a professional editing system.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Dready,
That was absolutely wonderful.
I don't at all use V8, 11 or any of the nice NLEs, but I have put together "off the cuff" tutorials, recognize the thoughtfulness that goes into these sort of things to compose them for the pure benefit of others.

Very cool.
Very very cool.

I wish more people would feel so inspired.

God, I love this forum! ;)

Damn, Dready, that was perfect! I was gonna do the same thing, except my take on it was gonna be way more sloppy looking. Nice. Also, everything you just explained is exactly the same in 10; I'd assume it's probably the same (if not extremely similar) in 11.

I guess it works with Vegas pro and not Vegas 11. I downloaded a trail of Vegas 10 Pro and can customize it exactly as Dreadylocks showed (again thanks so much and if it were possible, I would hand you a beer, or martini, whatever you want)

The only things I couldn't find are: Chroma 4:2:0
and Video bit 12Mbps.

Are they there and I don't know thats what they are?

Last edited:
When you choose your export settings, select MPEG2 first, then you gotta choose "custom", and move between the tabs to find the settings to adjust.

If 10 can do it, I would have to think that 11 can do it.

I am able to do all of that thanks to my Dreadylock lessons. Now my issue is audio. I found out something I made for local tv was too loud and they had to tone it down. Anyway that is my fear for this commercial challenge.

I am meeting with Comcast in March. They know I am doing this on my own. They tried to sell me a professional staff but that would defeat the purpose. I sign a contract HOWEVER if I can not produce what they want and they decide what I have done is not good enough..be it the audio or the camera ect then I don't pay a dime.

They even have something in their paperwork that reads the commercial must look professional in its style, meaning nothing cheesey. I really have to laugh at that because local commercials are known for being cheesey. We have an auto dealer ad that is so CHEESEY it even shows the owner standing there with this big phoney smile.

Anyway. I will try it. I already know what I want to shoot. I have to wait until the shop is cleaned up for interior. I have exterior shots from last summer. Background music wont be a problem. I want to do a v.o. Big issue will be audio...I think.

Back