There are iconic short films.

That's true for the cinemas.

For Youtube, however, the situation may be different. As of now, I don't know of any movies strictly on Youtube that make a lot of money, but there are people who post videos or reviews, and they can make millions. If they can do so, perhaps an aspiring mogul can do the same with short films, especially if those films become ... iconic.

It's not just true for theaters. People either have no attention span, or can sit for a feature. So you're best either making a feature, or becoming a TikTok star. Nothing in the middle. That's resume/film fest material.

If music videos count, there are plenty of iconic ones.

I have never met a person in my life that paid money to watch a short film.
But they are mainstream. Pulp Fiction is considered one.
interesting.

I did an edit to make pulp fiction in chronological order once.
2 1/2 hours, samuel jackson is in the first 50 minutes and bruce willis is in the last 50 minutes. john travolta goes on a date in the middle

Agreed. But subscribers do help Youtube producers make money, and so do advertisers.
I think IT is right that tiktok is way better..
the best short film i ever made got 2k views and i have like 30 subscribers.. and i can't even get people that know me to watch it.

I tried getting some of the local comedians in baltimore to watch it but nobody was interested save 1 guy that makes his own films.
people just dont give a shit about indie short films. people love tiktok.

there's a REASON there arent a bunch of iconic short films and its not for lack of creativity and production.

Last edited:
Agreed, again. But, when you produce a feature-length film, you must also expect to lose the entire investment, because it's such a risky investment. So I would rather lose a bit of money on short films, and have fun doing it, than to lose a lot of money on a feature and be stressed out.

What I am thinking of is to produce, instead of a space battle, a short film where they talk of the space battle.

So it would be, say, a space station, where the Admiral is looking out the large window panes, at the stars. A subordinate comes in, and the Admiral turns to face him.

The Admiral: Congratulations on your victory.

Subordinate: Thank you, sir. Those bozos lost half their ships, and that fleet won't be doing anything for awhile.

Admiral: Yes, and, for now, the Sargasso Space remains an Alliance lake.

I did an improv a few years ago, when I met someone at the AFM, and he said to try a rehearsal with him. I found that to be an emotionally powerful experience, which is why aspiring artists go into the creative arts. Ever since then, I've been thinking again and again about doing something like this.

Film is almost always about losing money. I'd love to be a mogul, as opposed to an aspiring mogul, but the reality of the film industry involves the vast majority of film makers losing everything they put into their project. I was therefore told to go in with hope, but don't be surprised if I don't succeed. I wish it was otherwise, but it's not up to me.

Film is almost always about losing money.

positivity odds GIF by GaryVee

Not an anthology, necessarily but more of a series of conversations between two or more individuals. Something like "Same time next year" or "The Odd Couple".

With that in mind, typing is free, so I'm open to an anthology as well. 😁

Agreed, again. But, when you produce a feature-length film, you must also expect to lose the entire investment, because it's such a risky investment. So I would rather lose a bit of money on short films, and have fun doing it, than to lose a lot of money on a feature and be stressed out.

What I am thinking of is to produce, instead of a space battle, a short film where they talk of the space battle.

So it would be, say, a space station, where the Admiral is looking out the large window panes, at the stars. A subordinate comes in, and the Admiral turns to face him.

I did an improv a few years ago, when I met someone at the AFM, and he said to try a rehearsal with him. I found that to be an emotionally powerful experience, which is why aspiring artists go into the creative arts. Ever since then, I've been thinking again and again about doing something like this.
one of the first things i learned about making films was "show dont tell" and this seems to fly in the face of it.
sounds fine for theatre though.

one of the first things i learned about making films was "show dont tell" and this seems to fly in the face of it.
sounds fine for theatre though.
Yes, but I also posted this thread asking about telling, not showing, and I got positive feedback. As you can see, I've been thinking about this a long time, and some will tell you I've been thinking not doing for well over a decade.

Yes, but I also posted this thread asking about telling, not showing, and I got positive feedback. As you can see, I've been thinking about this a long time, and some will tell you I've been thinking not doing for well over a decade.

It's a nuanced subject. Certinatly you can tell stuff but we are talking about the entire premise of the movie here.

For example lets talk about Contact (1997)
The whole movie talks about aliens and then at the end of the film... they.... talk about aliens some more. oh man people hated the ending so much.

All they wanted was to finally see a damn alien.
You have an entire film talking about a space battle and then at the very end its just.. more talk of a space battle? people will revolt.

just my opinion.

maybe if you get somebody like dane cook that is a very talented captivating story teller, maybe it could work. but it would have to be handled with care i think to avoid audience expectation going in the wrong direction.

Back