• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

campaign The Unknown Warrior

I'm sorry you didn't get the encouragement and money you
wanted to get here. I'm sorry you deleted your post before
I had the chance to respond.

Stepping into this world can lead to the unexpected. Getting
filmmakers to part with their money - money often being used
to make our OWN movies - isn't easy, it it? It's easy to get defensive
and even angry at those who don't share your vision.

There are a lot of good film makers here you could learn from
if you want. All of us willing to help. Very few of us will pull punches
in order to spare feelings. But when you're ready to hear what we
have gone through and learn a little, we'll be ready.

Best of luck.

I'm sorry you didn't get the encouragement and money you
wanted to get here. I'm sorry you deleted your post before
I had the chance to respond.

Stepping into this world can lead to the unexpected. Getting
filmmakers to part with their money - money often being used
to make our OWN movies - isn't easy, it it? It's easy to get defensive
and even angry at those who don't share your vision.

There are a lot of good film makers here you could learn from
if you want. All of us willing to help. Very few of us will pull punches
in order to spare feelings. But when you're ready to hear what we
have gone through and learn a little, we'll be ready.

Best of luck.
I only deleted it to make it better. I want to share my story with you but i want it to be a good representation, without writing a novel.

I will tell you briefly how the ninja in my story finds himself in the same place as werewolves and vampires.

The vampire we have created in lieu of “dracula” is in command of an army. His army is full of monsters. Much like the army dracula commands in other renditions. There are warlocks who want this power. They want the army, but cannot control it. Only the vampire in our story has that power.

They have a plan though to control it. The only thing is; they need them all to be dead. The warlocks are masters of necromancy and they plan to bring the army back from the dead. (That is why i say its not like any other monster movie). These monsters in the first part are like zombies. Zombie werewolves. They will not be limited by the moonlight.

So the warlocks assemble a team of the best warriors from around the globe. The ninja is one of them. He is the best. They never tell them what they will be facing. They train them for two years to fight together and they teach them all one common language.

After their training; the warlocks (the warriors dont know that they are warlocks) show them the face of their enemy. They take them to a dungeon. The door opens. Two piercing eyes glow in the torch light. A low growl comes from the shadows. From the shadows comes running a raging beast with a chain around its throat. It is a werewolf.

The warlocks try to use this elite unit to head an army that will kill all of the monsters in the vampire’s army. Thats why a ninja is in the same place as a werewolf.

Thats the main plot i am working on.

I want this to be a three part series.

First part:
First scene is the ninja summoning the vampire in the woods and taking his heart. Then it cuts to modern day and the ninja is a private investigator.

Second part:
This is the story of how the unit comes together and it will be back and forth from the unit and the vampire’s perspective. I want the second part to end where the first part begins.

Third part:
This is still in the collaboration stage, but i think i want it to begin where the first part left off.

Criticize this. No holds barred.

Last edited:
Woah! :eek:

I promise that you have never seen a werewolf being ripped apart by a ninja.

You're right, I haven't. But I reckon it's not going to be much different to seeing a hunting dog ripped apart by a wild boar, and I get paid for seeing that kind of thing, so I reckon my real life images (complete with sound-effects and unbelievable amounts of blood spatter) are more shocking than anything you can put on screen. You are, again, trying to tell your audience what they're going to think when you don't actually know who you're talking to and what they've already experienced. Don't do that. Describe what you see (even if it's still in your head) and let your audience decide whether or not it's better/worse/different than anything they've seen before.

The warlocks are masters of necromancy and they plan to bring the army back from the dead. (That is why i say its not like any other monster movie).
Straight out of Lord of the Rings: the "Army of the Dead" (Oathbreakers) - brought back from the dead by Aragorn to fight against one of the armies of Sauron.

The door opens. Two piercing eyes glow in the torch light. A low growl comes from the shadows.
That happened to my son about four weeks ago - we were camping "off grid" in Africa, arrived at our spot an hour after sunset. Pitch black outside the circle of light at the entrance to our tent. Son stepped outside the circle to have a wee behind a tree, using a headlamp to see where he was going. When he turned around, there were four sets of red eyes looking at him from the shadows ... ... ... :seeya:

Because it is my first project on kickstarter. I figured i would learn from it. I have learned a lot. Like i thought it was just a place where people gave money to an idea. I didnt know that people spend thousands of dollars on advertising their projects either. I didnt know that people were going to actually criticize my idea negatively.
For an example of how much effort you need to put in to your description - and how much of the work should already have been done - have a look at the (Indiegogo) campaign linked in the post put up by Jstnaln ... and take note of the target too.

That happened to my son about four weeks ago - we were camping "off grid" in Africa, arrived at our spot an hour after sunset. Pitch black outside the circle of light at the entrance to our tent. Son stepped outside the circle to have a wee behind a tree, using a headlamp to see where he was going. When he turned around, there were four sets of red eyes looking at him from the shadows ...
See. This is not constructive criticism.

I think this is the reason you need a script.

You have the overall premise but not much of a story. You have a broad
stroke plot but no story. At least you haven't told your story here. What
you have is a series of related events. And I agree with CelticRamler;
don't tell me what I have seen before – write down what I will see and
let ME decide if it's something I have never seen before.

I hope you can understand why strangers will not give you money – even
one dollar. This idea isn't fleshed out and it isn't complete. You want people
who don't know you to give you money so you can develop a full story.

I think you misunderstand people. You don't donate to people you don't
know; seems to me that should be the jumping off point. What could a
filmmaker do to inspire you to donate?

I believe you that the entire story is in your head and that you know it will
be unique and amazing. Your job at this point is to convince people who
don't know you.

And I do not believe you have done that.

Especially when pitching to filmmakers. We know the pitfalls because many
of us have already made the mistakes. Maybe we are too set in our ways but
that's because we understand filmmaking a little better than you. It's great
that you are jumping in. And you may be the first filmmaker to make a movie
like this with just a journal with scenes written down.

This is as epic story with complicated costumes and make up, with dozens
of actors. Army's of zombie werewolves and elite warlocks are not easy to do
convincingly. Without any previous work, without any storyboards, without a
script I don't see how you can hope people will give you money to buy props,
lights and gear to shoot the first scene.

Shoot that first scene. Show people what an amazing filmmaker you are and
tell us a compelling story. Then you might inspire complete strangers to give
you money with no strings attached.

Straight out of Lord of the Rings: the "Army of the Dead" (Oathbreakers) - brought back from the dead by Aragorn to fight against one of the armies of Sauron.

That happened to my son about four weeks ago - we were camping "off grid" in Africa, arrived at our spot an hour after sunset. Pitch black outside the circle of light at the entrance to our tent. Son stepped outside the circle to have a wee behind a tree, using a headlamp to see where he was going. When he turned around, there were four sets of red eyes looking at him from the shadows ... ... ... :seeya:

For an example of how much effort you need to put in to your description - and how much of the work should already have been done - have a look at the (Indiegogo) campaign linked in the post put up by Jstnaln ... and take note of the target too.
I dont think you guys really understand what i am trying to do here. Im not trying to make blockbuster. I just want to bring a story i have to life. The story itself is very detailed. I only gace you a brief summary. Thanks for the link though.

I believe you that the entire story is in your head and that you know it will
be unique and amazing. Your job at this point is to convince people who
don't know you.
The story isnt in my head. I have written an actual story. From start to finish, but rather try to get it published; i would like to bring it to life.

I dont think you guys really understand what i am trying to do here.
I think you're right. It's your job to get us to understand why you need
$10,000 and why we should give you money.
The story isnt in my head. I have written an actual story. From start to finish, but rather try to get it published; i would like to bring it to life.
Then I am wrong. Sorry. It sure seemed like you said you haven't finished the third part. My bad.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth; i didnt think i was really asking people like you. This is the biggest thing i have learned through this first kickstarter project. I thought i was more proposing a story to just people who might find it interesting. I never knew so many politics went into a kickstarter project. Im learning everyday.

Thats just what i plan on doing.
I look forward to seeing that scene.

You should be asking people like me. I actually donate to projects.
If you presented your story well and told people where that $10,000
will go you might just get people like me.

It's not politics, it's marketing. How are you doing with people who
might find the story interesting? Are they donating?

Then I am wrong. Sorry. It sure seemed like you said you haven't finished the third part. My bad.
Its the story i am trying to “sell.” I would like to get funding for the second and third parts if the first is good enough. We dont need actors and i definitely dont have time to set up entire sets. Thats why i plan to film only the first scene. (10-12 minutes) in december. I am taking all of christmas week off just to do it. One week to film one 10-12 minute scene. And this is not suppose to be an accurate rendition of the past. It is truly at its core a fantasy. And i wouldnt really call it a film. Thats maybe my bad. I would like it to be more of small episodes and put them on youtube. Im not a full time filmmaker or anything. I have an actual full time job. I am just an amateur videographer / animator with a vision. I would like to express my thoughts and stories through video.

I look forward to seeing that scene.

You should be asking people like me. I actually donate to projects.
If you presented your story well and told people where that $10,000
will go you might just get people like me.

It's not politics, it's marketing. How are you doing with people who
might find the story interesting? Are they donating?
Everyone who i tell my story to really seems to enjoy it. But i really havent asked anyone who probably would donate. Maybe thats what i should be doing. Maybe asking people at work. Face to face with someone, when i tell the story they tend to think it is a really cool story. Most people like that though will not go out of their way to go to kickstarter to donate.

Im going to stay in touch on here for sure. I really like this community and really have learned a lot just in my week or so as a member. When the scene is finished; you will be the first i show for your advice.

The third part is written but we are thinking of making it different now after more collaboration.

Same_HA,

The point everyone is trying to make here is that you aren't going to get your budget. Not even close. Don't worry, that's alright man, it happens to all of us at some point.

Here is my feedback, and I come from an experience of running a successful campaign for my first short film. We netted $2,407 for it, after it was already shot and completed. You can visit my old campaign here to check it out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kushtaka-short-horror-film#/

Bottom line is, I am going to run another campaign for my next film, asking $10k just like you. Here is my strategy...

1st- You need to have a promo video or pitch trailer.
You need to put yourself up there, with confidence, and "pitch" your idea. Just like you would do for studios, you treat backers the same way. They are paying you hard earned cash to live your dream. Respect that, and explain why you have this dream. They will connect if you are genuine.

2nd- Plan your budget needs, and share them.
Show where the money is going. Show you know how to budget and handle 10k in finances.

3rd- Offer more prizes.
One prize isn't enough to get people hyped, or give options. If you want an angel investor, they are probably looking for at least IMDB credit as Executive Producer.

4th- Have a website up for the film
Before you launch crowdfunding, have websites/social sites up for the film. You won't build an audience on a crowdfunding site, but your films Facebook page can lead others to your crowdfunding page. They feed off of each other very well.

5th- You need way more pics.
Concept art, storyboards, pics behind the scenes, location scouted, etc. Show your effort to make this dream real.

6th- List your Crew/Cast
Show that you have a team behind you, share their pics and info. Supports the idea you can get this film made.

All in all, for your needs I would have never gone with Kickstarter. If you don't think you will reach your goal, never use Kickstarter, use something like IndieGoGo or GoFundMe. Do your research. Every site has their benefits and drawbacks. For your particular project, here is how I would fix it:

1. Reduce the asking price to $2,000 tops.
2. Start a Facebook page first, build up an audience for free before launching a campaign.
3. Create a pitch trailer.
4. Draw a concept of the werewolf.
5. Gather crew/cast, list their profiles on the crowdfunding page.
6. Launch campaign on GoFundMe or IndieGoGo so you can keep all funds received, whether you reach your goal or not.
7. Rework your prize ideas, especially to possibly include IMDB credit. (Which you can give for free).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With those tips, you might scratch the surface of your goal... But even before that, you will need more content to share regarding your film.

Another tip: Go back through the prior posts here, and try looking at everyone's comments as you would a friends. I know its hard to hear negative feedback, especially when it comes to dreams, but everyone here really is trying to help you. Take it where you can, when you can, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Your campaign is already live, so you will see how it does. Chances are it will fail. But that's okay. Always better to learn and live another day, than give up entirely. Keep on grinding with your concept.

Also man, just get out there and shoot! You have friends? Gear? Just do it man! Worry about a budget later. When you have your practice films down. When you've possibly won an award or been selected to a fest. When you have a script you are passionate about. Of course you may think this script is the best thing since sliced bread, but just wait until you are 5 films deep, look back, and see the cheese. Now go make a grilled cheese! I mean film! :)

The point everyone is trying to make here is that you aren't going to get your budget. Not even close.
I really dont think that is the point everyone is trying to make. Not even close. The point is probably that i need more to show before i do a kickstarter.

If you want an angel investor, they are probably looking for at least IMDB credit as Executive Producer.

4th- Have a website up for the film
This is kind of ridiculous to be totally honest. I actually have a wildlife website that i am not turning away from just for pretty much a youtube series.
Like i have stated before; im not trying to make a blockbuster and im certainly not going to have it up on IMDB. This is only a fun thing i want to do. I really dont care if people like you guys like it. Im sure there will be people to enjoy it.
I mean there is going to be a ninja fighting werewolves in hand to hand combat; tearing their limbs of of them. Seriously; who wouldnt want to at least give that a watch. I have a scene where the ninja rips one werewolve’s head off and anothers arm off at the same time with two dog chains.
Its going to be badass to watch.

And i am doing this for FUN. Im sorry if that offends some of you. The main reason i started a kickstarter was because i have seen some STUPID things get 100’s of thousands of dollars for literally no reason.

Back