The Super Panavision 70 AI Craze

This is just something fun that I think people might enjoy. While commercial AI filmmaking platforms are still very limited, and can't really tell stories, they can do THIS, which is fun for a minute.

Last edited:
1714179924937.png

Last week, I watched about 10 of these.

These were really cool for a few seconds, but i couldn't sit through a single one.

Don't you just love a good spectrum? :cool:

I'm at the @sfoster end. Watched a first one all the way through and thought it was quite clever; managed about three quarters of a second and thought: "okay, so it's the same voice, same stuff re-packaged, so-so-samey and then drifted off into thoughts of how everything "AI" ends up so-so-samey. At which point the microwave dinged and dragged me back to real life ... :D

In a general response to the comments above:

It's all about the ratio of artist to tool. At one end of the slider, you have the spirograph. It holds the pencil for you, and makes perfect pictures of spirals. It looks cooler than a bad hotel painting, but after 10 minutes all spirographs look the same, and you don't care if you ever see one again.

On the other end of the slider, the artist holds the pencil, occasionally using the tools various advantages, such as using the side of the lead tip to create bits of shading. Same tool, used very differently, but now you can create some of the greatest and most lasting art of all time.

This craze is pretty far towards the lazy end of the spectrum. It's off the shelf AI, doing something easy that works for a short time. I enjoyed some of these, dependent on how well they were done, but in general I agree that it's a flash in the pan type thing. Some were better than others, and I was amused by the sheer variety of these multiverse glimpses. I liked the Breaking Bad one pretty well.

1714210009419.png

1714210111964.png

Last edited:
Back